Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenick-onelove
Astronaut of Inner-Brainspace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mendocino County, CA
I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds
    #353819 - 01/26/10 09:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well my indoor grow-cab Jack Herer grow is going great and I was inspired while reading some literature on hemp to start another little project. I live on an old 4 acre walnut orchard in California and its legal for me to grow with my recommendation, so this isn't as crazy as it sounds.

I'd like to grow a pot tree on the orchard somewhere! I would start some seeds off inside and harden them off then move one outside when it was big enough and just let it go. They can get up to like 15 ft. apparently. Obviously I would choose a female to plant outside so I don't contaminate the entire North Coast crop with industrial hemp pollen lol.

So my only problem is that I can't find any viable, industrial hemp seeds on the internet! There's half-a-million sites to buy any high-THC strain you could imagine and just as any sites to buy unviable hemp seeds for consumption, but nowhere to buy a couple viable ones?

Thanks for any help.

--------------------
"When I was in England, I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale and never tried it again."
                                                        - Bill Clinton

"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
                                                        - Barack Obama

That's Change I Can Believe In!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: nick-onelove]
    #353824 - 01/26/10 09:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think you're onto something...

You medical guys should start breeding hemp.  Imagine having the most bitchin genetics when cannabis is finally legalized.  Your strains would yield the most fiber, grow the fastest, and produce the most seeds.  Day 1 you could turn your 4 acres into a hemp farm...
/dreamrant

Do you just wanna look at it and have it in your yard for ornamental reasons or are you interested in making paper and stuff for fun?

Offlinenick-onelove
Male User Gallery

Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: DudeTron]
    #353839 - 01/26/10 09:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Haha I would love nothing more than to rip out these stupid walnut trees and spread hemp, but something tells me I'd be over my legal plant number limit lol.

This one would be mostly ornamental as I' going to let it get as big as it can, but I'd love to see if I could make anything.

--------------------
"When I was in England, I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale and never tried it again."
                                                        - Bill Clinton

- Barack Obama

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: nick-onelove]
    #353866 - 01/26/10 10:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

to be honest you should probably just grow a regular plant (maybe a long-sativa?) in the same fashion. it'll get up to 20 feet tall still if you veg it indoors long enough, but instead of just making paper or something out of it, you'll have pounds and pounds of delicious weed

--------------------

Offlinenick-onelove
Male User Gallery

Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #353913 - 01/26/10 11:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I realize I could just grow a high-THC sativa, but that's not really the point, I have access to plenty of weed. Doesn't it seem strange to anyone else that no one can even find a place to buy hemp seeds when pot seeds are so easily obtainable?

It's a good idea, Ball, and I might end up doing that, but a hemp plants would have much more fiber; more, bigger, stronger hurds; and more oil. I also assume an industrial plant will grow taller, faster.

--------------------
                                                        - Bill Clinton

- Barack Obama

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #353914 - 01/26/10 11:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh definitely. if fiber and oil are your goal then commercial hemp is absolutely the only way to go. consumable cannabis is somewhat useless in those departments

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #353918 - 01/26/10 11:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hemp seeds in the US have to be heat sterilized (I'm in Mendo myself) so the only place to get ones that grow is outside the US http://sensiseeds.com/reduceyourcarbonfootprintwithhemp/1p2010001.html

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinethe man

Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: Magash]
    #353923 - 01/26/10 11:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ya i was gunna say sensi seeds sells them for a rediculous price. if you want hemp seeds there are hemp farms all around were i live. buddy had some dont know if he still has teh seeds or what. also there was a music festival in a hemp feild the other year kind of cool make your own area just stomp down the hemp to camp, paths ect. point is i had all kinds of seeds and hemp buds all in around my tent so might be able to hook ya up.

But here is the thing if you get a landrace sativa your going to get pretty much the same thing as far as fiber ect. if youve ever seen any outdoor sativa you know what i mean those 3 inch stems you need an axe. Also if you look up the term "sativa" you will learn it means cultivated, so somewhere in any sativas past are the traits our ancestors picked for fiber seeds for oil ect. not neccesarly thc content.

peace

Offlinenick-onelove
Male User Gallery

Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: the man]
    #353957 - 01/27/10 12:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes! Thank you for the Sensi link! I'm going to get those right now, but if anyone has seeds or easy access to seeds and would like them to be put to use, pm me. I'd love to be able to compare a couple strains of hemp along with a couple high-THC sativas allowed to grow to their full potential.

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone.

Edited for spelling.

--------------------
                                                        - Bill Clinton

- Barack Obama

Edited by nick-onelove (01/27/10 12:28 AM)

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#354033 - 01/27/10 07:35 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I may be wrong on this so don't take it for pure fact but this is my understanding of differences between commercial hemp and medical strains.

They breed hemp for quick growing plants not necessarily there individual size and for bug / disease resistance. Some stains also are partially ruderalis(sp?). These will not get hugely tall as a factor of their automatic flowering, somewhere around the size of a corn stalk. These plants are desirable in commercial growing because they can be harvested with existing equipment and grown in very short seasons. They can plant dozens of them per square yard so they don't care that they wont get 20 feet tall and they don't want to have to 'log' the field come harvest day. Many of these plants also look exactly like you would imagine, ditch weed.

Now take a sativa female and let her veg indoors leading up to your growing season then transplant her outside in early spring. You have a beautiful plant with long dark green leaves. It will get as tall as your house and you will get a pound to smoke. If you then want to make a few pieces of paper or some twine for kicks you have plenty of fiber still and any hemp fiber is strong. You wont be getting any seeds to use but you said you would use an unpollinated female any ways.

my .02

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: Magash]
    #354118 - 01/27/10 11:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Hemp seeds in the US have to be heat sterilized (I'm in Mendo myself) so the only place to get ones that grow is outside the US http://sensiseeds.com/reduceyourcarbonfootprintwithhemp/1p2010001.html

Awesome link!  I will come back to this topic later today.  I'm also interested in hemp production on a very large scale.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: pha3r0]
    #354299 - 01/27/10 08:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pha3r0 said:
I may be wrong on this so don't take it for pure fact but this is my understanding of differences between commercial hemp and medical strains.

They breed hemp for quick growing plants not necessarily there individual size and for bug / disease resistance. Some stains also are partially ruderalis(sp?). These will not get hugely tall as a factor of their automatic flowering, somewhere around the size of a corn stalk. These plants are desirable in commercial growing because they can be harvested with existing equipment and grown in very short seasons. They can plant dozens of them per square yard so they don't care that they wont get 20 feet tall and they don't want to have to 'log' the field come harvest day. Many of these plants also look exactly like you would imagine, ditch weed.

Now take a sativa female and let her veg indoors leading up to your growing season then transplant her outside in early spring. You have a beautiful plant with long dark green leaves. It will get as tall as your house and you will get a pound to smoke. If you then want to make a few pieces of paper or some twine for kicks you have plenty of fiber still and any hemp fiber is strong. You wont be getting any seeds to use but you said you would use an unpollinated female any ways.

my .02

Ruderalis is not suited for industrial hemp.  Those plants are tiny.  :lol:  You are right about the breeding.  I would venture to guess that the specific variations on the breeding and strains that the industrial hemp companies overseas use are trade secrets at the least and patented at the most.  That's what is discouraging for the US wanna be hemp grower.  As soon as it's legalized over here all the overseas companies will take over since they are already established.  I bet they even have variations of strains that would fit our various climates and shit they may even already have land here in preparation for such event.  The US hemp industry should be solely US owned companies operating only in the US.  But the timber industry is a force to be wreckened with.  The small sliver of the anti-prohibition movement may be too weak to take on.  but i ramble.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinethe man

Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #354375 - 01/27/10 10:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i can say 100% confidence thats not why USA doesnt grow hemp. 1 they love huge companies that dont let people keep there own seed and have to buy "registered" seeds.more money to change hands that they can tax. 2 the whole conspiracy thing with the pulp paper. multi national companies are just that multi national and are who grow the majority of our food. if your buying the food or growing it doesnt really matter you still pay the piper. love the US pride or whatever you want to call it. but as far as patents etc liek i said not state or country owned corporatly owned.and hemp industry is  neat and has potential is not what these big companies worry about much from my understanding. they spend the genetic research on canola, wheat soy rice etc... hemp is hemp its more like a tree ya know we dont gentically modify the seedlings when re planting cut blocks. shit grows like a weed and pretty much is dialed in from centries of cultivation.

Offlinenick-onelove
Male User Gallery

Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: the man]
    #354408 - 01/28/10 12:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good points Pha3r0, like I said, I'll run a couple different strains of medical sativa so I'll see the growth differences firsthand.

Awesome pic of a perfectly retted stalk, Furrowed.

--------------------
                                                        - Bill Clinton

- Barack Obama

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #354452 - 01/28/10 08:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

the man said:
i can say 100% confidence thats not why USA doesnt grow hemp. 1 they love huge companies that dont let people keep there own seed and have to buy "registered" seeds.more money to change hands that they can tax. 2 the whole conspiracy thing with the pulp paper. multi national companies are just that multi national and are who grow the majority of our food. if your buying the food or growing it doesnt really matter you still pay the piper. love the US pride or whatever you want to call it. but as far as patents etc liek i said not state or country owned corporatly owned.and hemp industry is  neat and has potential is not what these big companies worry about much from my understanding. they spend the genetic research on canola, wheat soy rice etc... hemp is hemp its more like a tree ya know we dont gentically modify the seedlings when re planting cut blocks. shit grows like a weed and pretty much is dialed in from centries of cultivation.

I don't think I made any of those arguments you are making against me.  :shrug:

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinethe man

Re: I Wanna Grow a Pot Tree: Where to Buy Viable Industrial Hemp Seeds [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #354507 - 01/28/10 12:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

no i def got into some other things. but you said that the reason US never got into hemp is because other places are ahead of them??  perhaps re readingnow you meant more its just dicouraging for gowers once it does become legal not that its the reason for it being illegal.

it was laate... hahaha

peace

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #354521 - 01/28/10 01:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well, i can tell you with some confidence that your average pot grower, like most of us, won't betting getting any real marketshare in the US hemp industry once it is established.  I was just eluding to what i think is a fact that the overseas multinational conglomerates will fly in as soon as they can to start producing hemp here and selling it here and overseas.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #355094 - 01/29/10 08:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just so ya know what the US is up against in the hemp market. Sensi Seeds alone just this one company if you put all the hemp plants that they grow for the market (no smoking plants here just hemp) it comes  out to over 7sq miles of plants

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#355960 - 01/31/10 09:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Furrowed, about the companies flying in and swooping up on hemp production here... My thought is that our best farmland is already being used for cash crops. It would stand to reason that a considerable amount of land being used for corn ethanol production would be switched to hemp and most of it is already owned by these multi-national big fish (Monsanto) But I think the land rush has already taken place for the most part. I don't see the drive for companies who are successfully growing industrial hemp around the globe to move the operation here.

Now back on topic! I knew ruderalis was short but one of the articles I have read was saying some hemp producers where working on crossing it exactly for that reason. They want a quick plant that doesn't rely on the season to mature and will stay short enough to cut with existing implements. But I was watching coda's AF grow and those suckers are SHORT maybe thats the hold-up, they can't get it tall enough and retain the ruderalis genes?

Any ways off to update my own log.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineJahsome
Stranger
    #711927 - 02/05/14 09:01 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies