Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Silica Blast. Used to strenghten stems?
    #349317 - 01/18/10 01:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm currently 34 days into flowering and my nuggets have gotten sorta top heavy. On my first grow I didn't have this problem until late in flowering. I have at least an additional 40 days until harvest and many buds have started drooping down. (I'll update tomorrow) I've tied them up the best I can but I know more are going to start falling sideways very shortly.

I was reading today about Silica Blast and that it's supposed to strengthen stems along with other benefits like increased heat and cold resistance. Info about people using it is kinda limited.

I'm wondering if anyone here currently uses this and what effect it has had on your grow. Specifically in relation to the stem strength. Good investment? Let me know if it is so I can order up a bottle for this next round.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strenghten stems? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #349323 - 01/18/10 01:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I can't speak about the product you mentioned, but do you have an oscillating fan in your grow space?  Also, what lights are you working with and at what distance from the plants?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strenghten stems? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #349330 - 01/18/10 01:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here's the setup. As you can see the oscillating fan is sitting on top of the boxes in the corner of the pic. Light is a 400W HPS vertical high-bay fixture. The light is about 2 inches from the top of the center plant (which is the shortest). All the rest grow up into the reflector a few inches.

The setup is the exact same as last time. The only difference is the amount that they've been fed (more), plus they all were topped about half way through veg. Oh, and the white cardboard panels are new.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strenghten stems? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #349342 - 01/18/10 01:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This late in the grow I doubt you will get the results that your looking for.  I use silica blast and love it.  But you need to use it from day 1  if your wanting stronger stems, and even then it's not that big of a difference. 

Your going to want to start tying a string to the stem of your plant and anchoring it to something higher to give it support.  I've had stems snap under the weight of the buds before and it's such a bummer.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strenghten stems? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #349354 - 01/18/10 02:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah I figured it was too late for these ones. I'm more concerned with the 10 that just popped soil.

I can't really tie them up to anything higher because of the reflector. I've been lashing them to other stronger stems with twist ties. Seems to be working OK but I do wish I could tie them up higher. I really need a new light.

So when you say "it's not that big of a difference", is it a big enough difference that I should drop $20 on a quart??? Maybe keep my buds from not falling over so early in flowering?

Thanks for your help.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strengthen stems? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #349357 - 01/18/10 02:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You can get bamboo rods to stick into the soil and the twist tie your stems to those.  I would do that over tying them to other stems. 

I buy and use silica blast.  And wholly recommend it to anyone willing to pay for it.  Is it necessary?  No.  If your using it from day 1 expecting it to make your plants be able to support themselves, you may be disappointed.  Depending on your strain this may be inevitable.  Some strains just cannot support the weight of the buds they put off.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strengthen stems? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #349380 - 01/18/10 02:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'll definitely grab some small wooden dowels on my next run in town. No luck on bamboo this far north. You can't even get good nutes around here unless you order online. Only one greenhouse in the state carries Fox Farms products and that's like 200 miles away.

I kinda figured it was somewhat strain dependent. I guess it happened sooner than last time because I've been very aggressive with feeding. Plus topping makes the colas grow at a slight angle as opposed to being vertical.

Luckily the 10 that I just started are a different strain. Swiss Cheese I think. Should have better results with those if my last grow was any sort of indicator.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strengthen stems? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #349481 - 01/18/10 04:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have no problem if the strain I'm growing can't support themselves, that just means I have huge buds going on.  But I'm setup to support them as well so it's not a huge concern.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #349487 - 01/18/10 04:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

that just means I have huge buds going on.

or you have some serious spaghetti stems :wink:

Anyways, K is a vital nutrient in strong stem production.  An extra P+K additive like liquid Kool Bloom early on in the flowering process will help produce nice, healthy, stalks for your buds to thrive on.

I agree with the fan as well, proper ventilation is key and having a good strong breeze on your stems will cause them to harden up faster and support more weight from your buds.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #349509 - 01/18/10 05:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I understand that point, but trust me no spaghetti stems here, just big healthy buds baby.

--------------------

-niteowl

Edited by Hawksresurrection (01/18/10 05:09 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #349513 - 01/18/10 05:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, I wouldn't doubt it lol.  I'm just saying small, thin, stems will bend much more quickly under weight then something that's thick and woody.

Sorry if you misinterpreted that :smile:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strengthen stems? [Re: coda]
    #349519 - 01/18/10 05:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That's what I'm sayin'. The stems look nice; same as last grow. But this time the buds are blowing up like suicide bombers. :suicidebomber: :potleaf:

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silica Blast. Used to strengthen stems? [Re: coda]
    #349533 - 01/18/10 05:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nah I didn't misinterpret it man, just fucking around.  I know you weren't doggin me.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals