Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
sexed under 24 hrs light?
    #349226 - 01/18/10 07:47 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I thought I read in a post somewhere that it is possible  when maturity is reached. I searched the main site and forum, but no dice. Haven't googled it yet. I'm sure it is just something very common that I happen to know nothing about. (Only have experience growing with clones)

Currently growing mandala's early queen, mr. nice speed queen, ppp and 3 fem'd ww from nirvana.

Out of 5 ppp 3 have shown sex and 1 was male.
2 out of 8 mandalas have turned out male.
1 mr. Nice turned out female.

Plants have been under a ho t5 setup. Light cycle has been at 24 hrs. Going on 40 or so days.
I was trying to let a few smaller runts catch up to the other healthy stronger (prob male) ones. We switched the light cycle last night to 12/12.

Hit me up with some info.
Thanks ahead of time.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: sexed under 24 hrs light? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #349229 - 01/18/10 08:03 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yes definitely possible. When your palnts are 4-6 weeks old usually they will show preflowers. These are located on the main stem where the branches meet the stem. Female preflowers consist of 1 calyx with 2 tiny hairs coming out it.
When your plant matures enough in veg it should be no problem to tell their sex before flowering.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: sexed under 24 hrs light? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #349242 - 01/18/10 09:00 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #349401 - 01/18/10 03:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Actually sooner than 4-6 weeks with optimal growth and knowledge of early preflowers.

If I consider it to be a smooth run, I can usually sex the plants between 20-26 days from popping the surface.  You just have to be really comfortable with identifying males from females from first emergence.

I female will generally look like a green pin coming out of the node, where as a male will look like a green grain of sand, more round than anything. (EDIT - Do not confuse the pin with the Stipules (green spikes) which are much larger)

99 out of 100 times I have correctly identified them using that as a reference.  I would take pictures but it's almost not worth it because they can be so small when I make the decision.  Males almost always show first by a week anyways so if they show me a little tiny round grain, they get tossed, otherwise they will have a tiny pin like thing and will eventually shoot out a set of hairs from that soon to be calyx.

When in doubt let it sit a few more days.  It would take a couple weeks after sexing for a male to even be able to open a sack.

Long story short, they start showing after 3 weeks, males first (usually) regardless of the light cycle.  The plants I flowered before showing sex had a much harder time transitioning to flower production than the plants that had visible pistils going into 12/12.

That's why this run I'm waiting an additional 2 weeks to ensure the plants live up to their potential and yield.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: sexed under 24 hrs light? [Re: Inverted]
    #349409 - 01/18/10 03:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with you there Inverted. I can usually tell by week 3 but you have to know what your looking for. However, I always wait until I see the hairs before I make a decision since small plants don't take up much room in my veg closet anyways.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: sexed under 24 hrs light? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #349427 - 01/18/10 03:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:

You got it down DGT.  I usually can not ever spare any room so I am always racing to find out the sex.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #349485 - 01/18/10 04:46 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The plants I flowered before showing sex had a much harder time transitioning to flower production than the plants that had visible pistils going into 12/12.

This is mainly due to the fact that plants that haven't shown sex before flowering are usually not sexually mature.  So the plant requires a little extra time to produce the flowering hormones.  There are some out there who believe flowering before pre-flowers increases hermaphrodite chances, but I haven't seen any solid evidence to back that up.  Plus there are plenty of people who go straight from sprout to flower to keep things small.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

#350058 - 01/19/10 05:12 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info inverted. Much appreciated.:gethigh:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#350148 - 01/19/10 12:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

The plants I flowered before showing sex had a much harder time transitioning to flower production than the plants that had visible pistils going into 12/12.

This is mainly due to the fact that plants that haven't shown sex before flowering are usually not sexually mature.  So the plant requires a little extra time to produce the flowering hormones.  There are some out there who believe flowering before pre-flowers increases hermaphrodite chances, but I haven't seen any solid evidence to back that up.  Plus there are plenty of people who go straight from sprout to flower to keep things small.

That's the assumption I had come up with as well.  I was fairly disappointed as this was the first time I've ever flowered plants that were not sexually mature.  I'm bumping the veg time up from 31/2 to 5+ weeks with my next set.  They are on day 24, So I'd say they'll head in a couple days after the current harvest occurs.

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:
Thanks for the info inverted. Much appreciated.:gethigh:

No problem man, I try to provide as much personal experience as possible, because that way I can at least tell you which has worked best for me, possibly saving people from making decisions that have dragged me down.  I get a lot of joy from helping others!  :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck