Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
California Public Safety Committee votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation!
    #346268 - 01/12/10 12:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

A definite step in the right direction... :gethigh:

Quote:

State Assembly Committee Passes Bill to Tax and Regulate Marijuana in California

January 12, 2010

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA — Today, in a 4 to 3 vote, the California Assembly’s Public Safety Committee passed A.B. 390, legislation that would tax and regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol. This is the first time in U.S. history that a state legislature has ever passed—or even considered—a proposal to make marijuana legal, taxed, and regulated. A.B. 390, the Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act was authored by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco), the chair of the committee.

The bill will not progress any further this year due to the constraints of the legislative calendar but advocates praised today’s vote as a major milestone in ongoing efforts to end marijuana prohibition.

“Today’s vote should give voters confidence that California’s failed and unjust war on marijuana consumers will soon come to an end,” said Aaron Smith, California policy director for the Marijuana Policy Project, who testified before the committee. “It’s an encouraging sign that most members of the committee presiding over the state’s penal code have voted to toss marijuana prohibition onto the ash heap of history.”

Quote:

Assembly committee OKs bill to legalize marijuana
January 12, 2010 - Los Angeles Times

A proposal to legalize and tax marijuana in California was approved by a key committee of the Assembly this morning, over the dire warnings of police chiefs and prosecutors.

The Public Safety Committee voted 4-3 to approve AB 390 by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco), who said the bill would provide tax revenue to the state and regulation of the drug. The new law includes a requirement that users be at least 21 years old.

The measure next goes to the Health Committee, but proponents worried it would not be acted on by that panel by Friday's deadline, which would require the proposal to be reintroduced to be heard this year by the full Assembly.

"The way it exists now is harming our youth,'' Ammiano said. "Drug dealers do not ask for ID. We need to regulate something that has gone chaotic, has resulted in carnage. I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea.''

Assemblyman Danny Gilmore (R-Hanford), a former CHP commander, said the $50 tax on each ounce of marijuana sold to pay for drug education and treatment is not worth the grief that will be caused by legalization.

"We're going to legalize marijuana, we're going to tax it and then we're going to educate our kids about the harm of drugs. You've got to be kidding me,'' Gilmore said. "What's next? Are we going to legalize methamphetamines, cocaine?''

The measure was opposed in testimony today by several police chiefs and law enforcement officials including Bob Cooke, former president of the California Narcotics Officers Assn., who predicted it would lead to an increase in crime. "The mere consideration of an attempt to trade human misery for tax dollars smacks of the cynical throwing away of countless human beings,'' Cooke told the committee.

It is estimated that the bill would generate $1.3 billion a year in taxes and marijuana cultivation fees.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: geokills]
    #346272 - 01/12/10 12:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:banana::awesome::smile2:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #346273 - 01/12/10 12:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

wow that's really incredible. I hope the economic data this provides will encourage other states (or even national government) to follow suit

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #346275 - 01/12/10 12:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

What! Does this mean its legal now in California!!?

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: Triptonic]
    #346276 - 01/12/10 01:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No, this just means that the bill will continue to move through the various pieces of government.  In other words, it hasn't been killed yet!

Quote:

The measure next goes to the Health Committee, but proponents worried it would not be acted on by that panel by Friday's deadline, which would require the proposal to be reintroduced to be heard this year by the full Assembly.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/bil2lawx.html notes:

Quote:

OVERVIEW OF LEGISLATIVE PROCESS
The process of government by which bills are considered and laws enacted is commonly referred to as the Legislative Process. The California State Legislature is made up of two houses: the Senate and the Assembly. There are 40 Senators and 80 Assembly Members representing the people of the State of California. The Legislature has a legislative calendar containing important dates of activities during its two-year session.

Idea

All legislation begins as an idea or concept. Ideas and concepts can come from a variety of sources. The process begins when a Senator or Assembly Member decides to author a bill.

The Author

A Legislator sends the idea for the bill to the Legislative Counsel where it is drafted into the actual bill. The draft of the bill is returned to the Legislator for introduction. If the author is a Senator, the bill is introduced in the Senate. If the author is an Assembly Member, the bill is introduced in the Assembly.

First Reading/Introduction

A bill is introduced or read the first time when the bill number, the name of the author, and the descriptive title of the bill is read on the floor of the house. The bill is then sent to the Office of State Printing. No bill may be acted upon until 30 days has passed from the date of its introduction.

Committee Hearings

The bill then goes to the Rules Committee of the house of origin where it is assigned to the appropriate policy committee for its first hearing. Bills are assigned to policy committees according to subject area of the bill. For example, a Senate bill dealing with health care facilities would first be assigned to the Senate Health and Human Services Committee for policy review. Bills that require the expenditure of funds must also be heard in the fiscal committees: Senate Appropriations or Assembly Appropriations. Each house has a number of policy committees and a fiscal committee. Each committee is made up of a specified number of Senators or Assembly Members.

During the committee hearing the author presents the bill to the committee and testimony can be heard in support of or opposition to the bill. The committee then votes by passing the bill, passing the bill as amended, or defeating the bill. Bills can be amended several times. Letters of support or opposition are important and should be mailed to the author and committee members before the bill is scheduled to be heard in committee. It takes a majority vote of the full committee membership for a bill to be passed by the committee.

Each house maintains a schedule of legislative committee hearings. Prior to a bill's hearing, a bill analysis is prepared that explains current law, what the bill is intended to do, and some background information. Typically the analysis also lists organizations that support or oppose the bill.

Second and Third Reading

Bills passed by committees are read a second time on the floor in the house of origin and then assigned to third reading. Bill analyses are also prepared prior to third reading. When a bill is read the third time it is explained by the author, discussed by the Members and voted on by a roll call vote. Bills that require an appropriation or that take effect immediately, generally require 27 votes in the Senate and 54 votes in the Assembly to be passed. Other bills generally require 21 votes in the Senate and 41 votes in the Assembly. If a bill is defeated, the Member may seek reconsideration and another vote.

Repeat Process in other House

Once the bill has been approved by the house of origin it proceeds to the other house where the procedure is repeated.

Resolution of Differences

If a bill is amended in the second house, it must go back to the house of origin for concurrence, which is agreement on the amendments. If agreement cannot be reached, the bill is referred to a two house conference committee to resolve differences. Three members of the committee are from the Senate and three are from the Assembly. If a compromise is reached, the bill is returned to both houses for a vote.

Governor

If both houses approve a bill, it then goes to the Governor. The Governor has three choices. The Governor can sign the bill into law, allow it to become law without his or her signature, or veto it. A governor's veto can be overridden by a two thirds vote in both houses. Most bills go into effect on the first day of January of the next year. Urgency measures take effect immediately after they are signed or allowed to become law without signature.

California Law

Bills that are passed by the Legislature and approved by the Governor are assigned a chapter number by the Secretary of State. These Chaptered Bills (also referred to as Statutes of the year they were enacted) then become part of the California Codes. The California Codes are a comprehensive collection of laws grouped by subject matter.

The California Constitution sets forth the fundamental laws by which the State of California is governed. All amendments to the Constitution come about as a result of constitutional amendments presented to the people for their approval.

As you can see, we still have a long way to go.. But at least we're making progress! :ganja:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: geokills]
    #346278 - 01/12/10 01:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh well, at least your state is doing something. Mine is putting off the debate on Medical Marijuana. Lames.

OfflineHomosapian
DMT
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austin , TX
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: Triptonic]
    #346357 - 01/12/10 02:25 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

this bill was created so people like you think its actually possible...its all a big scam so the people can feel they have some power over the government.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: Homosapian]
    #346557 - 01/12/10 06:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Cynical much?  Anything is possible.

I might go so far as to suggest that the legalization of marijuana is inevitable.

The fact that ten years ago most people wouldn't have dreamed of being able to grow their own pot or being able to buy a myriad different top shelf buds from the corner store without any worry of the local police here in California is a clear testament to what is possible.  If AB 390 passes into law, the only difference will be that instead of being taxed by a doctor for your annual recommendation, you'll be taxed by the state on the sales revenue.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #346631 - 01/12/10 07:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:

I might go so far as to suggest that the legalization of marijuana is inevitable.

That's a guarantee.  Eventually the psychedelics will follow suit.  Thanks to maps and other orgs.  Good news!  I don't keep up too much with state legislature of drug reform, but I do wonder if this is a contingency for the policy change on the ballet for 2010 in CA?  It might be just oakland since richard lee was heading it.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #346696 - 01/12/10 08:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sick geo.

I'm sending good vibes to you guys from the east coast.

I hope all you cali residents get as involved as you can with this.  This is history in the making...I wish I could be a part of it.

Exciting news GEO!!!

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #346725 - 01/12/10 09:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Quote:

geokills said:

That's a guarantee.  Eventually the psychedelics will follow suit.  Thanks to maps and other orgs.  Good news!  I don't keep up too much with state legislature of drug reform, but I do wonder if this is a contingency for the policy change on the ballet for 2010 in CA?  It might be just oakland since richard lee was heading it.

i think psychs are gonna be a waaayyysss down the road, but this is DEFINITELY good news to hear from the west coast. hasn't been a peep in my state yet :nonono:

now me AND farmer joe are sendin good vibes from the east coast :getstoned:

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #346894 - 01/13/10 12:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This is a big stride, and I really do believe that since Cali has always lead the way for this sort of decision, that if it can survive the political process, the bill will pave the way for other states to do the same.  Colorado will probably be next in line.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: California State Assembly votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: 81renaissance]
    #347813 - 01/14/10 05:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah definetly a big stride. still a long way to go, but definitely a big step. can't wait for it to be legal where i'm at.

--------------------

Offlinettotheh
european son
Male

Loc: new york state Flag
Re: California Public Safety Committee votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: geokills]
    #347900 - 01/14/10 07:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
I live with thirteen dead cats ,
a purple dog that wears spats,
they all live out in the hall,
and i cant stand it anymore

anything i say on this website is 100 % false

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Re: California Public Safety Committee votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: ttotheh]
    #348088 - 01/15/10 09:02 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Good video, thanks!  I sure hope we see a ballot initiative for this in November.  Take it straight to the people! :ganja:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Offlinettotheh
european son
Male

Loc: new york state Flag
Re: California Public Safety Committee votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: geokills]
    #348479 - 01/15/10 09:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
  Take it straight to the people!

I hope the people make the right decision

--------------------
I live with thirteen dead cats ,
a purple dog that wears spats,
they all live out in the hall,
and i cant stand it anymore

anything i say on this website is 100 % false

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: California Public Safety Committee votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: ttotheh]
    #348488 - 01/15/10 09:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Srsly tho, I NEED to be in cali when its legalized over there.  A party of biblical proportions will be had.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: California Public Safety Committee votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #348686 - 01/16/10 03:04 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
  A party of biblical proportions will be had.

What better time/place for a growery gathering! 

I'm gonna start pinch'n pennies asap. Either way I'm flyin out for vaca  as soon as it's official.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: California Public Safety Committee votes to allow Marijuana Regulation & Taxation! [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #349188 - 01/17/10 11:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wow that is amazing that is was voted in by our legislative branch!

The cynical/skeptic/pesstimistics should know that in our federalistic government, the government is governed by the people.

--------------------
x:tongue:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck