Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

hmmmm, advice please
    #334445 - 12/21/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hi there a buddy of mine has a girl in her final few weeks and has had some problems along the way even though it's late game for that one I want to see if i can figure out what his problem was so he can fix it on the next one.

The plant was nute burned at about 3 months and 70-80% of the leaves have brown/yellow dead edges (the new ones that grew after burn are okay). They are also all very brittle, to the point they will break if they are bent. Some leaves have developed spots which is necrosis if my research is right. As for the rest of the plant it looks okay except for the unusually tiny stalk which i blame on his choice to use a very low nitrogen fert and never supplement it.

I copied these ? over so i don't miss any important facts. I am sorry i don't have pics but i will explain the best i can.

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? seeds(from a bag)

2. How old are your plants? 5months it has been at 12 hour light for 9weeks

3. How tall are your plants? approx 5ft

4. What size containers are they planted in? 1gallon (possible culprit?)

5. What is your soil mix? MG organic, perlite, apparently he put a half kiwi under it when replanted for whatever reason

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? every day about 100ml of water(he lets the top go dry so sometimes less then every day or less water) this has been tap water. I made him start giving it water from snow now that it is abundant.  it has only been a few days on the new water, no improvement

7. What is the pH of your water? We don't know the pH or chlorine content of the tap water but i felt it good to rule out since it tastes a bit( or a lot if you grew up on well water like me ) sulfer like

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? It is 2-8-5 i don't know the brand but its liquid and says blooming formula. he follows the guide for potted indoor flowers and mixes a gallon then draws from that so he knows its not to strong(after he burned it first of course)

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? no feeding it gets an occasional misting with water because of our very low humidity but its probably just enough to make him feel good not actually raise the RH significantly

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") 100w HPS and 65w 2700k CFL the CFL is a new addition he had to move the HPS light to the side of plant cause it was burning his top shelf (yes if you hadn't guessed this is a closet grow)

11. How close are your lights to the plants? HPS is ~10inches from the side of the cola with its own fan to push heat away the CFL is 4 inches from the top

12. What size is your grow space in square feet? umm 2x8 so 16. it is a standard room closet with bypass doors.

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? temp at the tip of the cola ran 78-87 over a two day test I ran, at the soil level it goes from 68-84. humidity is 20-30%
14. What is the pH of the soil? Soil pH is 6.5-6.8 tested with a not so pricey soil probe but its brand new so i trust it

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? No

16. How much experience do you have growing? This is his second plant I don't grow green but I have been involved with gardening and plants my whole life so i get to play doc.

I know it's long winded but without pics I am relying on my words and your patience. Thanks in advance. Oh and like i said its pretty much too late for this one with only 3 weeks at best left its not going to recover. What I would like is to be able to tell him where things went sideways so his next one goes much better.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: hmmmm, advice please [Re: pha3r0]
    #334550 - 12/21/09 03:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I would venture to say that 5 ft tall in a 1 gallon container might be bad news.

ALso: . How often do you water and what type of water do you use? every day about 100ml of water(he lets the top go dry so sometimes less then every day or less water) this has been tap water. I made him start giving it water from snow now that it is abundant.  it has only been a few days on the new water, no improvement
The proper way to water is to water deep, and then let it completely dry out.  This releases all the soluble ions from your nutes, and also allows the roots to breathe.

Ditch the Miracle grow, and upgrade to a better soil. Fox Farm Ocean Forest should do the trick.

Make sure that you aren't just feeding the macronutrients, you need to pay attention to calcium, magnesium, etc, etc, etc, or the plant won't stay healthy.

Something has gone wrong with the grow if it vegged for 3 months, flowered for 2 and is only 5 feet tall (unless you trained it very heavily)

Pics would be a huge help, but this is what I can do with what you've given us.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #334718 - 12/21/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

7. What is the pH of your water? We don't know the pH or chlorine content of the tap water but i felt it good to rule out since it tastes a bit( or a lot if you grew up on well water like me ) sulfer like

This is also a problem.  If you don't know the pH you could be screwing your plants from the beginning.  I don't get why people never pay attention to this.  Maybe it's just ignorance.  I don't mean that offensively.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hmmmm, advice please [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #335193 - 12/22/09 04:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ph is usually not as much an issue with soil then it is with hydro because the soil acts as a buffer.  However, if you constantly water with a solution that is too acidic, or, you use a time release fert or something along those lines that's super acidic, over time the Ph will drop too low and cause problems.

Ph is important, sure, but with soil you generally have more wiggle room.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hmmmm, advice please [Re: coda]
    #335237 - 12/22/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

But if your tap water has a pH of 8, then over time that is going to cause problems as well.  I understand that with soil you get a buffer of sorts.  But it's still something that should not be over looked in my opinion.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #335245 - 12/22/09 07:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If your tap water has a Ph of 8 you're really lucky in a way. Distilled water in it's purest form has a Ph of 7.

Also take into consideration that plants grown in soil are watered and fed considerably less then those grown in hydro.  Sure, this may pick up during the later stages of flowering or if you keep a large plant in a small pot.  But on the average you'll water your plants a lot less.  Plus, unless you grow in an amended soil, the amount of times you water your plants with nutes to those without nutes is larger.  So the possibility of you watering with too alkaline of a solution drop as adding nutes to water almost always lowers the Ph.

Lastly the amount of times you see a Ph problem in soil of being too alkaline versus being too acidic is also small.  Most people experience Ph problems because of a solution which is too strong, fertilizers not designed for cannabis, or too frequent of a feeding schedule.

This isn't too say you'll never see a Ph problem in soil, it can and will happen if you're not careful.  If anyone doesn't believe me take a soil grown plant and feed it a solution with a Ph of 5.0 and see how long it lasts. :wink:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: hmmmm, advice please [Re: coda]
    #335476 - 12/23/09 09:51 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

well after i posted this the other day i got a call to tell me he chopped her down after he couldn't find a single stigma still white. wet harvest weight is right at 2oz so less then optimum but hes happy.

after getting my eyes on the root ball i can say it could of used 4 or 5 times the dirt. his next set of seeds is cracking and i told him i would plunk down for a new bigger pot and dirt and he can repay me with some nugs next time around haha

as for lessons learned hes going to re do his closet and only give the next plant distilled water incase. I will start up a thread when their is something to look at.

Thanks for the advice hawks and coda.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#335477 - 12/23/09 09:52 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

and dharmabum too even

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#336189 - 12/25/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

smoked a nug off this plant and as i suspected its a bit harsh from not being flushed but the buzz is good and heavy enough we wish their was a bunch more.

also by way of mention he found a single seed so not all is lost. i will get a pic of the cola when we smoke it today opening presents with his family.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pluto
    #629256 - 06/24/12 09:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

This is also a problem.  If you don't know the pH you could be screwing your plants from the beginning.  I don't get why people never pay attention to this.  Maybe it's just ignorance.  I don't mean that offensively.

I believe it is just ignorance.  I would have payed more attention to my pH but I couldn't find any strips at any pet/garden stores... Where else can I find them?

Can you roughly gauge out the pH?  I heard urine helps bring it down from 6-7 which is an ideal pH for weed right?  Can you use lemon juice?

--------------------
:wink:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hmmmm, advice please [Re: GreenShaman]
    #629262 - 06/24/12 10:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Order it online...

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
    #629276 - 06/25/12 01:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GreenShaman said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

I believe it is just ignorance.  I would have payed more attention to my pH but I couldn't find any strips at any pet/garden stores... Where else can I find them?

Can you roughly gauge out the pH?  I heard urine helps bring it down from 6-7 which is an ideal pH for weed right?  Can you use lemon juice?

Dude...don't piss on mary jane

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hmmmm, advice please [Re: Maestro]
    #629278 - 06/25/12 01:12 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Maestro said:
Quote:

GreenShaman said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Yeah..that's just stupid.  Of course Lemon juice can bring it down. But you have to have something to help determine what the pH is after you add the lemon juice.  You cant just throw some in there and go with it.  And yes 6.5-7 is ideal for soil.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#629333 - 06/25/12 12:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

Maestro said:
Quote:

GreenShaman said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Yeah..that's just stupid.  Of course Lemon juice can bring it down. But you have to have something to help determine what the pH is after you add the lemon juice.  You cant just throw some in there and go with it.  And yes 6.5-7 is ideal for soil.

lol i wasn't going to pee on the pot!  Manure usually has urine at the bottom of the bag.

--------------------

Offlineviper33802

#629338 - 06/25/12 12:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GreenShaman said:

They sell pH test kits for aquariums & pools too

Damn GreenShaman, you went looking through some old shit to pull this thread up

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

Re: hmmmm, advice please [Re: viper33802]
    #629340 - 06/25/12 01:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

viper33802 said:
Quote:

GreenShaman said:

They sell pH test kits for aquariums & pools too

Damn GreenShaman, you went looking through some old shit to pull this thread up

My blunder friend, I kind of got lost in the search engine but found what I was looking for ^^ thanks everyone for understanding!  If i did this on shroomery I think a ton of people would get pissed.

Went to the pet store, they didn't have regular testing kits, so I shelled out 20 bucks for a digital tester....... turns out my soil has a pH of 7.3 !!!! :blush:  yuh oh! 

I'm thinking about adding lemon juice....  I have sulfur but that seems a bit much.

ANYWAY thanks for being cool about the bump guys.... viper gets
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hmmmm, advice please [Re: viper33802]
    #629350 - 06/25/12 03:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

:lolsy:

I didn't even notice that the post was that old.

You got a digital soil tester?  If so you also need to get one for water.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#629472 - 06/26/12 02:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It's supposed to work for both and yeah

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals