Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Weedery News Service
    #330434 - 12/12/09 06:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/144415/dea_forced_to_scrub_misleading_info_on_the_american_medical_association%27s_position_on_marijuana

"DEA Forced to Scrub Misleading Info on the American Medical Association's Position on Marijuana"

On November 10th, the AMA reversed its long-held position that marijuana has no acceptable medicinal value and adopted a new policy position favoring medical marijuana. The AMA called on the U.S. government to reconsider its current classification as a Schedule I substance. (The government categorizes drugs into “Schedules.” Four of the five actually regulate the use of substances, but Schedule I drugs—such as marijuana, heroin and LSD—are completely banned.)

However, a week after the announcement of this historic reversal, the DEA still hadn’t removed mention of the AMA’s old, anti-medical-marijuana position from its website.

So, the advocacy group Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), an organization of cops, judges and prosecutors calling for the legalization and regulation of all drugs, created an action alert asking U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to order the DEA to scrub the bogus statements from the web.

After just one day of emails from activists, the information disappeared. One might conclude this quick response was the handiwork of Obama’s tech-savvy team, if it weren’t for the other government websites still spreading misinformation about the AMA's position on medical marijuana. Both the White House "drug czar's" office and the DEA's “scare the children” youth website still contain inaccurate statements about AMA's position on medical marijuana.

Of course, the drug policy reform advocates at LEAP won’t settle for anything less than the whole truth and are still urging membersto send more letters to Attorney General Eric Holder and White House "Drug Czar" Gil Kerlikowske, asking them to stop spending taxpayer money to spread false information about medical marijuana.

Meanwhile, other public health officials are going even further than the AMA in criticizing current drug policies. For example, on October 18th, the California Medical Association endorsed a resolution stating that the criminal prohibition of marijuana, even for non-medical reasons, is a “failed public health policy.”

These bold statements from public health officials do more than buoy the hopes of drug policy reformers; they point to a clear trend of health officials joining ranks with the outspoken law enforcers at LEAP in saying that current drug policies aren't protecting the general health, well-being and safety of the public. The second-largest physician group in the country, the American College of Physicians (ACP) endorsed the use, reclassification, and further study of medical marijuana, making the case that the red tape surrounding the medical use of cannabis has obscured good science for too long.

Speaking of good science, the second in command at the Office of National Drug Control Policy, Deputy Drug Czar Thomas McClellan, saidon November 18th: “It’s time to use science and common sense to direct our efforts — not ideology, not positions of the past, but a fresh look at what the data tells us. We also need the willingness to rethink old positions and particularly to change direction when the science says it’s time to change direction.”

McClellan’s statement is a reminder of President Obama’s inaugural pledge to construct federal policy informed by "the most complete, accurate, and honest scientific information."

Hopefully both President Obama and Thomas McClellan will honor their word, but if they don’t, they should at least know that LEAP and other watchdog activists are poised to help them do so.

Update: Less than a day after this piece was uploaded, the DEA changed the remaining claim on their website that the AMA still opposes medical marijuana, replacing it with a reference to the AMA’s call for a review of marijuana’s Schedule I status. Unfortunately, the Office of National Drug Control Policy’s site is still inaccurate. Please take action and demand full accountability from our federal government on this issue.

:happyweed:

one step closer, every day there seems to be good news like this around

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Loc: the sun
Re: Weedery News Service [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #330449 - 12/12/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

sweet!   

i'll move this to the activism forum in a bit.  :grin:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Re: Weedery News Service [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #330476 - 12/12/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Nice read!:burnone:

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Weedery News Service [Re: Stoneth]
    #330514 - 12/12/09 09:31 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

thats awesome

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

Re: Weedery News Service [Re: still beLIEve]
    #330629 - 12/13/09 08:05 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i mean what gets me is the federal government already admitted it is medicinal like 20 freakin' years ago

--------------------

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Re: Weedery News Service [Re: elcharrosays]
    #330840 - 12/13/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

very true.    it's pretty hypocritical for the fed. gov. to try to conflict with the effects of cannabis. when they knew for a long time that it DOES have therapeutic value. 

more is coming into picture now, and people are realizing it.  tis only a matter of time when we can smoke freely :bongload:

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Re: Weedery News Service (moved) [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #330843 - 12/13/09 06:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This thread was moved from The Smoke Lounge.

Reason:
suitable for activism/news forum

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale