Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepftek
Stranger

What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs???
    #330455 - 12/12/09 06:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

???

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: pftek]
    #330460 - 12/12/09 06:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

HID FTW

dont bother with LEDs. they may veg a plant, but they dont do shit for flowering.

MH and HPS FTMFW

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: Pilze]
    #330462 - 12/12/09 07:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
HID FTW

dont bother with LEDs. they may veg a plant, but they dont do shit for flowering.

MH and HPS FTMFW

I wouldn't say that this is ENTIRELY true, but its close enough.
There are LED arrays that will give equal results, but you'll spend WAAAYY more $$$$$ on them.
Check out the Mandala Satori LED extravaganza thread to see an LED grow.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #330466 - 12/12/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I totally disagree with this statement, LED tech. has come a long way since the first UFO setups were released.  In a side by side comparison, HID lamps like an HPS will outperform LED's, but on the other hand if it was a choice between floro's or LED I'd go with the LED (well I'd go with neither since I prefer HPS lights :wink: ).

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinepftek
Stranger

Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: coda]
    #330483 - 12/12/09 08:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

I totally disagree with this statement, LED tech. has come a long way since the first UFO setups were released.  In a side by side comparison, HID lamps like an HPS will outperform LED's, but on the other hand if it was a choice between floro's or LED I'd go with the LED (well I'd go with neither since I prefer HPS lights :wink: ).

people are comparing 300 watt LEDS to 1000 watt HPS.

What about a 600 watt LED vs a 600 watt HPS?

aren't the LEDs providing only the light that is absorbable whereas the HPS is wasting a lot of light in the mid Kelvin range???

Edited by pftek (12/13/09 04:12 AM)

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#330525 - 12/12/09 10:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the guy at my hydro store was telling me he got like 10 UFOs in (i think they were UFOs) and said 8 of them were returned because they couldnt pull the weight. he said the technology still isnt there for LEDs to flower plants like we want our buds to flower... he said theyre good and they work, just not as good as people think.

until LED grow light systems are setup for strong vegging and flowering, im sticking with the tried and true HPS.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #330547 - 12/12/09 10:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the guy at my hydro store was telling me he got like 10 UFOs

There are a helluva lot more better systems the UFO's.  However, they seem to be rather expensive if you want to do anything amazing with them.

I don't doubt the power of LED's at all, it's definitely going to be the way a lot of people grow in the future.  I just think it's not perfected yet, and at the very least, all the systems that would be worth it are just too damn pricey.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: coda]
    #330549 - 12/12/09 11:02 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

LEDs have the light to veg, but not flower. ive heard it from hydro store owners, friends that have used them, and in retardweed's youtube videos. he says how useless they are. small tiny airy buds...

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#330621 - 12/13/09 04:23 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

There are good LED's and shitty ones...we can't just assume because some ppl used LED's and not had good results that all LED's are shit. From my research and talking with ppl...i have learned that there are great systems out there that can rival HID. I still use HID though....why?
well prices are ridiculous right now....but im lookin into making my own panels to cut down on the cost.

Offlinepftek
Stranger

Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: shakalaka]
    #330717 - 12/13/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shakalaka said:
There are good LED's and shitty ones...we can't just assume because some ppl used LED's and not had good results that all LED's are shit. From my research and talking with ppl...i have learned that there are great systems out there that can rival HID. I still use HID though....why?
well prices are ridiculous right now....but im lookin into making my own panels to cut down on the cost.

you'll save a lot in electricity bills. also it's under the radar. can't put a price on that.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #330838 - 12/13/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I use LED's, I agree that LED doesnt quite live up to HPS, and I believe this is due to the mixtures of wavelengths available.

I use all Red:blue LED's for Veg and flowering, and I love the fact that i can run a system that can never kill the plants due to a fan failure.

They make flowering LED's that use white LED's mixed in with the Red and blue. This can also be done by running a small CFL with the Red:blue LED's

In a side by side comparison between a 300W HPS and a 300W LED, I would go with the LED, but as far as equivalent wattage that companies claim, a 600W equivalent LED would not yield as much as a 600W HPS.

Another downside is that good LED systems are insanely expensive...there is a thread where i try to explain why LED's dont work that well for flowering...here

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineMr. Hands
Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: Data]
    #382951 - 03/13/10 11:51 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Can anybody steer me toward a high quality LED light setup?  Price does not matter.  I want something that actually works for all phases of growing.  I realize that LED yields might be less than a HPS, but I can't grow in the summer anyway because of heat buildup.  So, getting 50% as much yield isn't a huge deal to me.

OfflineMr. Hands
Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: Mr. Hands]
    #383093 - 03/13/10 06:14 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Hm...  Can somebody tell me why there is such huge price discrepancy between two web sites on the same type of setup?

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=53987

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180461337503

Are either of these setups any good?

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: Mr. Hands]
    #383131 - 03/13/10 08:26 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

ebay's is probably refurbished.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#383132 - 03/13/10 08:32 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Hands said:
Can anybody steer me toward a high quality LED light setup?  Price does not matter.  I want something that actually works for all phases of growing.  I realize that LED yields might be less than a HPS, but I can't grow in the summer anyway because of heat buildup.  So, getting 50% as much yield isn't a huge deal to me.

have you considered using flourescents? i would recommend them over LEDs. they produce some heat, but nothing that compares to that of HID lamps.

OfflineMr. Hands
    #383133 - 03/13/10 08:42 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
have you considered using flourescents? i would recommend them over LEDs. they produce some heat, but nothing that compares to that of HID lamps.

I have heard that flourescents suck for flowering, but I have never tested it.  Flourescent cool white bulbs are awesome for vegetating (I have my moms under them and I constantly have to chop them down because they are so growing so lushly).

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #383139 - 03/13/10 08:52 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

LED's suck for flowering too.  And are amazingly over priced.  Why did you bump this old thread anyways?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMr. Hands
Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #383146 - 03/13/10 09:04 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
LED's suck for flowering too.  And are amazingly over priced.  Why did you bump this old thread anyways?

Trying to find out info on LED's in general.  I'm a newb at this stuff.

Offlinehisheater
trigger man
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #383239 - 03/13/10 10:14 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

here ya go
(sorry don't know whats wrong with the video, second videos aren't supposed to work)

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="
><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

and this

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="
><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

you'll notice that if you compare total energy USED, and grams harvested, you see that LED out-preforms. That's important, total energy used, because you can determine cost per gram, which most people don't take into consideration. People who say LED isn't as good want big buds and big plants, not the most cost efficient.

--------------------
They call them fingers but I never see them fing... Oh wait, there they go.
-----------------------------------------------
Doo Yoo Hookah???

OfflineMr. Hands
Re: What are your thoughts on LED grow lights??? Outproduce HIDs??? [Re: hisheater]
    #383254 - 03/13/10 10:28 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

See...this is what fucking puzzles me.  The first video shows badass LED yields with the tomato plant and the second video shows a stringy-ass and pathetic looking pot plant under the LED that produced horrible looking buds.  Which is it?  Reasonable yields or crap yields?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies