Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinearaucaria
Male

Loc: Oregon
temperature/heat
    #31459 - 05/16/08 08:46 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i'm having a lot of trouble with air temps.

i am curious what is the temp in your grow room/box and what is the temp in the room where the growhut is in? i want to know how much hotter than room temp does your grow box get. i just got my 400w hps and a nice fan but my room temp is 80F so there's no way i can get it to be under 80 in the grow room. sucks...

--------------------
Kids are always honest
Cause they don't think their ever gonna die

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: temperature/heat [Re: araucaria]
    #31460 - 05/16/08 08:53 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Dash. Wouldn't that temperature be fine though if the relative humidity was at an appropriate level to correspond with the temperature? 80 degrees sounds workable, at least.

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: temperature/heat [Re: Sirius]
    #31462 - 05/16/08 09:05 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

yea but when the light is on it goes up to 92F what RH would i want for that kind of temp? in this case i should be trying to get my room temps lower so my growbox temps should be lower huh?

--------------------
Kids are always honest

InvisibleCaptainKirk
Sailing the Seas of Cheese

#31588 - 05/16/08 11:17 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i would get an exhaust fan in the box asap... i try and keep my rooms in the mid 70's ..but yep you should def get rid of that hot air

Edited by CaptainKirk (05/16/08 11:18 AM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: temperature/heat [Re: CaptainKirk]
    #31742 - 05/16/08 01:02 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

A good rule of thumb to follow is that your grow space will usually be about 10 degrees warmer then the ambient temps of the outside room. At least for me anyways. I haven't seen my growroom go over 80 this past spring.

Generally plants do best when its around 75 degrees with the lights on and about 5 degrees cooler with the lights off. The hotter your room is the more your plants will suffer. The buds will be light and fluffy and they will go through a TON of water.

If you can figure out a way to cool the ambient temps down then the temps in your grow box should fall as well as the cool air is brought in to replace the stale, hot, air.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: temperature/heat [Re: coda]
    #31844 - 05/16/08 03:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i see. that's the information i was looking for: how much hotter is the growbox than the ambient. so it's about right because my ambient is about 80-83 and i get 93F inside the box with or without a cooltube, so my hps is sitting for now and i'm back with cfls. i hope i can make my way out of this w/o purchasing an a/c

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #31866 - 05/16/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Is your ballast inside the room or outside? How specifically is your cool-tube reflector/ventilation system set up (size of the air duct going out, how big is the entrance for the air, etc.)? What is the cf/m of the fan? I couldn't imagine the temperature could be the same if the ventilation through the cool-tube is working optimally... otherwise what would be the point of one?

:strokebeard:

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

#31902 - 05/16/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

the ballast is always outside the growbox. i have a 4" 170 cfm ecoplus inline fan which is more than enough, i have a speed controller and use it at about 75%. the reflector has two 6" holes. one is covered with pantyhose - the intake from the grow room air and the other side is hooked to the fan with a coupler and the minimum amount necessary of ducting. i just think it's so hot that...

i messed with my climate control and made it a bit cooler in the house. hopefully it will work, my last resort would be to move it to the basement, because we're not even in summer yet and it's only getting worse.

damn, i just want my plants to be happy

--------------------
Kids are always honest

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #31923 - 05/16/08 07:36 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

That's the thing, it doesn't matter how well your ventilation system is setup if your ambient temps outside the grow room is too high. Remember air exchange is replacing the old air with new air. So if your new air is sitting at 80 you're not going to see a temp lower then 80 in the grow room.

Where are you venting your hot air to?

Quote:

i messed with my climate control and made it a bit cooler in the house. hopefully it will work, my last resort would be to move it to the basement, because we're not even in summer yet and it's only getting worse.i messed with my climate control and made it a bit cooler in the house. hopefully it will work, my last resort would be to move it to the basement, because we're not even in summer yet and it's only getting worse.

that may be best, cellars generally stay much cooler then the rest of the house. Also hot air rises and since you don't have another floor beneath you it will be easier to keep the grow room cool. Plus if you have one of those little cellar windows you can always vent the hot air outside (scrubbed of course) through the window.

--------------------

Offlinesmily
Spam With Substance

Loc: here and there
    #31930 - 05/16/08 07:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

try to change over the air in the enclosure on a regular basis, that coupled with the cool tube will help. side benefit the more you change over the air the less the smell

:smile:

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: temperature/heat [Re: smily]
    #31965 - 05/16/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i turned on the main a/c and the ambient temp is now 79, which is still very high, so i guess i should aim for 89 because that sounds like the best possible. so far the cfls are there and the temp is actually 77 inside the box

just curious, but do people in extremely hot places just use air conditioners for air exchange? how do they grow in such high temps?

--------------------
Kids are always honest

Offlinesmily
Spam With Substance

Loc: here and there
    #31980 - 05/16/08 09:24 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

funny my friend does just that runs closed hydro 2k with CO2  no fresh air other wise and reaps 3-4 elbows a round

:smile:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: temperature/heat [Re: smily]
    #31984 - 05/16/08 09:41 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

just curious, but do people in extremely hot places just use air conditioners for air exchange? how do they grow in such high temps?

AC units are used to cool a room, not provide air exchange.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #32232 - 05/17/08 05:30 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
That's the thing, it doesn't matter how well your ventilation system is setup if your ambient temps outside the grow room is too high.  Remember air exchange is replacing the old air with new air. So if your new air is sitting at 80 you're not going to see a temp lower then 80 in the grow room.

Well, the thing I'm wondering about is how he's getting the same temperature increase with the cool-tube reflector/ventilation system running and without the reflector and ventilation. He's not going to get the temperature any lower than the ambient temperature coming in with using the ventilation system, but isn't it odd that he'd get the same increase running the ventilation system for the cool-tube as he does without it?

:confused:

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #32233 - 05/17/08 05:32 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Also, do you walk around the house naked all the time? :lol: Nothing wrong with that, but its a bit on the warm side for humans as well, don't you think? :hehehe:

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #32235 - 05/17/08 05:37 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Is that the grow area we're talking about?

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

#32977 - 05/18/08 02:15 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

no, the grow area is 18x33x60. its been hot here and the old central air doesnt doo a good job at cooling. maybe hps growing is going to be a winter hobby for me

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #32991 - 05/18/08 05:34 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Haven't you considered getting an air conditioner? You'd be spending about $200 I imagine on one that would work for you. Have the area set up by a window and save some money with a window a/c, or get a portable one. I'm sure the investment would pay itself off well. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #33073 - 05/18/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Actually i read an interesting article in high times, it was enough to make me order the issue for myself. But he constructed his grow box, actually the same dimensions as my hydrohut (4x4x7), with the back of it against the window. Cut out a section in the mylar for the AC unit which was sitting in the window to poke through, and he was able to keep a 1K HPS in the low to mid 70's using a cool tube and i think a 256 cf/m fan.

A window AC unit is a smart investment if you can't keep your room cool any other way. Portable units are easy to work with, but, you have to have a way to vent the hot exhaust the unit puts out. Learned that out the hard way heheh.

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

#33080 - 05/18/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

thats good to know. i just visited a friends grow in the same town and it was at 98F without a cooled reflector but a powerful fan. so i guess i wasnt so bad at 92. i might just get away with it.

i also had this idea, i already have hooks in the growtent for the hps and the cfls. so i can keep the reflector in there and when temps get too extreme i can turn it off and switch to the cfls which are really cool already. if it goes over 90, i'd turn on the cfls and maybe a t5.

anyhow tonight i shall post some big updates to the log, new strains too.

--------------------
Kids are always honest

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds