Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineslimDUTCHES
Current Grow: 2 Bageed babes
Male User Gallery

Loc: North West Hemisphere
photoperiod
    #294745 - 10/10/09 01:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

how sensitive are plants to small changes in turning on and off your lights?  I have no timer at present and do it manually, usually within the same half hour time period. 

Would being an hour or so late be enough to stress a flowering plant?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: photoperiod [Re: slimDUTCHES]
    #294747 - 10/10/09 02:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

im not sure how badly it would stress the plant, but im pretty sure it's not going to help it.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Re: photoperiod [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #294789 - 10/10/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Your on a slippery slope mister

--------------------

OfflineeTarded
Clubbed to Death...
Male User Gallery

Re: photoperiod [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #294810 - 10/10/09 11:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It's the hours of darkness that matter the most, so if you happen to go over your 12 hours of light you could just wait to turn it back on after a full 12 hours of darkness. 

But honestly dude, pick up a timer, it's like 5 bucks for the standard one at walmart, and 9 for a grounded one.  It's literally one of the cheapest pieces of equipment for growing.

An hour late every once and while probably won't hurt too much but it all depends on the strain.  Some plants are more susceptible to hermi'ing than others, but once it herms it's pretty much destined to be a seed-filled, waste of time.

Just play it safe and buy a timer!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: photoperiod [Re: eTarded]
    #294852 - 10/10/09 12:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

And that's probably the worst advice to ever give.  Never, ever, ever, EVER buy a cheap timer.  You want to fuck up your grow?  Buy one of those cheap analog timers from walmart and watch the hermie flowers flow.

Drop 20 bucks, buy a decent DIGITAL, timer which has a re-chargeable battery backup.  This way if you lose power the digital timer won't fuck up and you won't have to worry about resetting it.  Those analog timers break all the time, and the last thing you want is to come home to find your cabinet in the dark when it should be bright (or vice versa).  My first grow was hosed for the same reason, spent the cash and bought a nice timer, never had to worry about it again.  Hell, i went out and bought another one just to keep around in case I ever wanted to expand.

As for the photo period question.  If anything your plants are better off getting more dark then light.  If you think about it, in nature, when harvest time is coming in the fall, day light periods are getting shorter while dark periods are getting longer.  IMO, if you off by a few minutes when you do the switch by hand you should be ok, it's when you start losing hours that you should be worrying.  It's best to avoid all of this and just spend the cash on a solid timer.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineeTarded
Clubbed to Death...
Male User Gallery

Re: photoperiod [Re: coda]
    #294899 - 10/10/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Without a doubt a solid digital timer is the way to go, but I still feel even a cheap analog is better than manually flipping the lights everyday.

I have an Ingraham analog cheapo timer still kickin after 3 years of daily 12/12 use, luck perhaps, but it works.

OfflineslimDUTCHES
Male User Gallery

Re: photoperiod [Re: eTarded]
    #294909 - 10/10/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ok so fuck....i missed switching the light by 3 1/2 hours....im goin to get a digital timer today...how ironic this happens the day after i make this thread.

im going to still give the plants 12 hours of darkness regardless of the extra 3.5 hrs of light they got today.  This is day 5 of flowering.  Last night i was looking for preflowers - one i think was starting to show his nutsack and the other 3 were not showing anything (hopefully females then?).

But will this light stress herm them all? give it to me straight guys...am i fucked or will they be able to get thru the extra light stress without herming?

--------------------

OfflineeTarded
Clubbed to Death...
Male User Gallery

#294916 - 10/10/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Only time will tell, you'll probably be fine since it's the first week of flowering.  But still be on the look out for sacs and remove the plants quickly.  Males obviously need to go, but the herms also. 

There's no use in trying to save a hermi. I hermed a plant in one of my first grows and attempted to pick off the male flowers, end result: no bud - all seeds.

OfflineslimDUTCHES
Male User Gallery

#294923 - 10/10/09 02:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

damn dude...i am paranoid and freakin out that i fucked up my whole grow. 

I can say that my plants have been pretty much stress free their whole lives, except for some small heat issues while seedlings, but even that got fixed pretty quickly.

They get plenty of light (400w hps), enough water, organic nutrients, very good ventilation and circulation, and no pH problems or sickness.

So u still think they should be ok?  This is my first grow and i need some comforting and reassurance...i hate always playing this waiting game with my plants - im just gunna sit back, wait, and toke away my worries in the meantime

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #294942 - 10/10/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

you should be ok, just keep your eye on them and get a timer!

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies