Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
did I fail at cloning?
    #288024 - 09/28/09 09:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm using rootech cloning gel with rapidrooter plugs, and today is day 7 since I took the cuts. They were all wilting a bit about 2 days ago but I poured some water on the plugs and they're not drooping anymore, but the leaves are starting to get really dark and gross looking around the edges.

How wet should the plugs be? any suggestions? I feel like I fucked up, but I'm not sure if I should chuck them and start again or just let them sit a bit longer.

Also, should I provide them enough light for photosynthesis? the guy at the store said to only give them enough to encourage the  photocycle so they've been about 3 feet from a 60W incandescent in my closet.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: did I fail at cloning? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #288079 - 09/28/09 10:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

dude ditch the incandescent and put in a floro.  If you put water around the base and they perked up doesn't that mean that there are some roots?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: did I fail at cloning? [Re: SmOakland]
    #288081 - 09/28/09 11:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

so you DO want them to be able to photosynthesize? I (obviously, haha) have a ton of CFL's, I was just told by the dude at the store that you don't want them to photosynthesize before they root.... but then again, that same guy called the vascular tissues xylem and phylum :rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlinemoogles

#288217 - 09/29/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Dude at the store is wrong in my experience.

Put them under regular veg lighting,
maybe a little further than you normally would have your vegging plants.

Put your clones in a ziploc baggy for increased humidity if they aren't already in a humidity tent.
It's absolutely necessary.

Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

#288232 - 09/29/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
so you DO want them to be able to photosynthesize? I (obviously, haha) have a ton of CFL's, I was just told by the dude at the store that you don't want them to photosynthesize before they root.... but then again, that same guy called the vascular tissues xylem and phylum :rolleyes:

How would they not photosynthesize under a light? It's inevitable as long as there is a source of light.

If he said "xylem and phylum", he's obviously a fucktard. It's xylem and phloem. :facepalm:

Yeah, just use a couple flouro's; CFL's are perfect. They'll be ready in no time.

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

InvisibleMini-Maggie
Stranger

#288248 - 09/29/09 10:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Also, should I provide them enough light for photosynthesis? the guy at the store said to only give them enough to encourage the  photocycle so they've been about 3 feet from a 60W incandescent in my closet.

My dad use to just take the cuttings put them in a dome and then under the same HID lights as the mothers. I'd ask him about putting them under weaker light and he just laughs and says I read to many books. Then comes the speech on how leaves create the energy to make the roots and stuff. "I don't shade the solar panels on the house to get them to do more work" or whatever he's going say. I know this, at the time he was taking 200 or more cuttings a month,:happyweed:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: did I fail at cloning? [Re: Mini-Maggie]
    #288444 - 09/29/09 04:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

awesome, thanks you three! That's basically what I would have assumed with my years of botanical schooling, but this guy was giving me all kinds of stories about how his clones always come out perfect and blah blah blah.

but yes, the part where he mispronounced phloem immediately tipped me off, hence why I came here.

Thanks again all!

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #288450 - 09/29/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

oh, and a stupid question, but.....

it's best to make the cut across the axial meristem so that the rooting hormones can basically influence the undesignated growth cells into root tissues?

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

#288472 - 09/29/09 04:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yup. 45 degree angle to ensure a large enough surface area.

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: did I fail at cloning? [Re: meatcakeman]
    #288494 - 09/29/09 05:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

+1

+2 for using rootech (my favorite)

Also keep in mind when cloning that humidity is something to keep in check.  When i do a clone run I mist the humidity dome i use when i wake up and once more before i go to bed.  If you're using peat pellets (which is what i assume rapid rooter plugs are) the high RH will keep the substrate moist so there's no need to go fucking about re-hydrating them. 

Lastly, unless you've cloned this strain before, realize that there are strains out there which put up a fight when it comes to producing roots.  The cherry slyder i grew was a huge PITA to clone i had about a 45% success ratio with them, don't know why it hated being cloned but it sure did give me problems.

Oh, also, guy at your hydro store is a dipshit.  He may have been confusing something though.  There are certain periods in a day in which it is optimal to take cuttings, has to do with the hormones in the plant at the time of day etc etc.  Don't know the specifics off hand, but maybe that was what he was referring to in his ridiculous answer to your question?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: did I fail at cloning? [Re: coda]
    #291658 - 10/04/09 11:18 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well it's looking like I got 10 out of 10 to root this time, so thanks for the help guys!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains