Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
outdoor spring harvest?
    #283820 - 09/21/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

sup all..

I have always wanted to grow a few sativa dom plants...but the short grow season where i am located will always prevent me from doing so.

Question: Is it possible to veg a sativa all winter long and force flower in the spring outdoors? since the weather is cooler and there is still 12 hours of sunlight?

it's hard to find sativa strains around where i am....unless you want to pay 50+ for a slice. I've got the grow bug...so no more buying overpriced bud for me. I still would like some variety...but I'm not an indoor guy so it makes it a little difficult.

any advice or critisism is greatly appreciated. I am here to learn and bounce ideas off of others....so lay it on me!:grin:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: outdoor spring harvest? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #283989 - 09/21/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have never tried it but it may work if you veg all winter at 24 hr lighting till your ready for outdoors. The problem being is the light hours outside are still on the increase in spring till summer solstice so that may cause some stress.

If your "not an indoor" guy then this is not feasable for you. Because you will be growing this plant indoors till spring. Which if your going to do that then why not just finish it indoors? you will have 75% of your plants life indoors and the last 25% will be outdoors.

There are also a few problems to consider. Growing indoors under lights do not produce the uv rays the sun does, so there will be a transition period from indoors to outdoors of about a week of shaded sun light. Then you have the outdoor environment to deal with at the end of your plants life, bugs,people, and other pests.

IMO, if your going to grow it that long indoors then why not finish is indoors. Budding is when you will not want to mess up all the winters work!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: outdoor spring harvest? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #284078 - 09/21/09 07:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

true true...valid points.

I don't have much for lights. Just some cheap fluorescent lighting i use for an areo cloner i made. I suppose I could box them up at night and open them up in the am. But like you suggested..why all the work when i could just not fuck with'em and force flower indoors without letting the hard work potentially go to waste.

Fuck it..you've got me thinking now... guess i will be paying the local dro shop a visit..haha.  i think i may take a cutting or two..and see what happens with the idea though..couldn't hurt.

thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it man

happy harvesting,

Farmer Joe

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #284938 - 09/22/09 09:50 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, we use to do this in Hawaii and it's all gonna be in the timing. The sativas take longer to flower so you have to be sure the light is gonna be short enough for at least 12 weeks. Your gonna have to put them out in winter and that is where the timing comes in. You want the buds to start getting big just as the rain is finishing for the season.

Your gonna have to do the numbers to see if it can be done in your area. :thumbup:

(buy the damn light :wink:)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: outdoor spring harvest? [Re: Magash]
    #284950 - 09/22/09 10:19 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Haha, you  use to live out here(HI), Magash?

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: outdoor spring harvest? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #285106 - 09/23/09 07:56 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You could build your self a wooden frame outdoors and cover your plants with a dark tarp to induce flowering!

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: outdoor spring harvest? [Re: Magash]
    #285254 - 09/23/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

thanks magash,

i will do my research. It will be a while, but i will be sure to post some results if i find it is possible to accomplish..maybe with some photos..... And i will buy a light :grin:. I'm now shopping for some seeds. Looking for the right bank to go through.

I have more questions on seeds..lighting and what not..but i will place them in the appropriate areas.

I appreciate all feedback good or bad

Time to go roast some northern lights..peace

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: outdoor spring harvest? [Re: dmtcorey]
    #285255 - 09/23/09 05:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hmmm...

that too is possible. Back to the drawing boards...thanks for the feedback.:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#285257 - 09/23/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hey joe,

fellow new englander here.  i don't think you will be able to accomplish this, for the following reason:

spring equinox (12/12) is march 20/21, waaaaay before the last frost around here.  by the time you are able to get some plants outside, you will no longer have the photoperiod for flowering.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: outdoor spring harvest? [Re: Yrat]
    #286630 - 09/26/09 10:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

ahhhh shit...oh well. I should have done more research before i popped that question... good lookin out Yrat.

If i didn't like rippin on my sled so much..i might consider moving south to warmer climates :hehehe:

Any you guys ever read into gardening by the moon phases?  I did all my feeding in the 1st and 2nd quarters..pruning/cuttings/transplanting  done in 3rd and 4th quarters (when root production supposed to be at it's peak).  I have always wondered about this and decided to give it a shot this season..I carried it over into my vegetable garden as well and received great results..(though I tried to clone my carrots and it didn't work out so good..haha) I did get great results though..i noticed it especially when pruning..the plants responded with new growth very quickly..at least enough for me to notice a significant difference. Get at me with some feedback..any one else down with the phases?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds