Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOddOne
Male
A few questions from a beginner...
    #279723 - 09/13/09 07:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So I've recently come across a small setup and have a few questions. I have done a little bit of reading, and decided to ask a few questions to clear up some of my concerns and confirm/deny the pros/cons of my ideas/options.

First: Clones/Vegging

Alright, so here are the clones:

Questions:

1. First off. I know, I know, it looks a little iffy, but its all we could do to get everything up quickly. I will be redoing everything, and am going to try documenting my trials and such(I haven't had anything to get adamant with in a while, and now that this has fallen into my lap,  and I think I found what I want to study, practice and do for my new hobby.)

2. Lighting(picture below): As you can see I have a UFO(same spiral bulb as the other 2) 2 hanging bulbs and 1 1/2ft(I don't think its quite 2ft) Fluorescent.

My question: The spiral bulbs are all 26W, and the fluoro is 20W, The fluoro bulb is going out I believe, but my question is: Would 4 Fluoros produce somewhere around the same amount of light? The difference in wattage IS only 18W but the real issue lies in placement. Changing to complete fluoro would assist in the making the light set-up safer as I would be able to easier position the lights in the space I have, not to mention allow me to produce more side lighting for the babies growth. OR should I use additional lights, or another idea I had was to line the sides of the box with fluoro and hang a the UFO on top, or something along those lines.

Watering: After a little research, I believe I have determined that the contraption sitting under the clones is for an ebb and flow system.

My question: I have searched and cannot find a fully detailed explanation on how to use an Ebb and Flow, and the person I inherited from just told me to go in and fill each cup every 3 to 4 hours. Personally I feel that if I have the means of a hydroponic style method, I should use it. I have a pump, I'm wondering: do i need 2 pumps?(1 to continue cycling the water until the timer stops, and one to pump from bottom to top panel, or would a single flood every 3-4 with the pump I have suffice, and if so, what should I use for the "pots" and medium, currently my medium is 100% pearlite, but is not my personal preference, I believe plants should grow in soil, most things I have read say 80/20 Soil/Pearl and some say 20/20/60 pearl/verm/soil.

Onto the next subject:

Veg to Flower: I have a little girl(said to be a strain of the supposedly extinct "MTF", but hey, you can't believe everything you hear.) and he looks a little big for the clone box(picture):

I was told by a fellow grower that it looks like it's ready, and should probably be switched to flower. Is this correct? I have no idea how long she has been in veg, but I trust the fellow grower a little more on his knowledge than the person I got everything from.

Also if it's time, is changing medium safe during transplant? or should I stick with the pearlite until I clone it?

Cloning:

When is the best time to clone? I've looked around, found some ideas, but I figured if I'm asking questions, I might as well throw it in the hat and see if someone pulls it.

Final Subject and last question/s.(picture)

Flowering:

Currently I water twice a day(once on lights on and once shortly before lights off. I give each one just under a 1/3 of a gallon (anymore in the pot and it just overflows). Am I watering too much? Should I change the watering schedule to different times etc? Or is what I'm doing just fine?

Supplemental Lighting: I was contemplating adding a fluoro or 2 near the bottoms to increase light near the base of the plants, or building an LED panel of sorts. I figure more light is always better...go for it?

Edit: Trimming

I'm also not exactly sure how often to trim and what. When switching from veg to flower, when and what do you trim(and why exactly that/those parts for educational purposes, please).

Conclusion:

There it is, tell me what you think, tips and criticism very welcome, feel free to bash, I take it lightly and with consideration. Thanks in advance for all the help.

P.S. Sorry about the low quality pics, the pictures were taken using a cellphone. Next time I will get my friend to let me borrow his camera.
How am I doing?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (09/13/09 07:38 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
"Life....finds a way..." - Dr. Ian Malcolm(Jeff Goldblum's character on Jurassic Park)

Edited by OddOne (09/14/09 01:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: A few questions from a beginner... [Re: OddOne]
    #279745 - 09/13/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Your plants look heathly.

For you 1st time you doing great. As long as they get you high.

edit: Welcome to the Growery

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Edited by KaptKid (09/13/09 08:17 PM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few questions from a beginner... [Re: KaptKid]
    #279771 - 09/13/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I know jack about hydro setups, but I did want to say welcome!

Can't wait to watch your future grows!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineOddOne
Male
Re: A few questions from a beginner... [Re: 81renaissance]
    #280734 - 09/15/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Question answers anybody? Please?

--------------------
"Life....finds a way..." - Dr. Ian Malcolm(Jeff Goldblum's character on Jurassic Park)

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
Re: A few questions from a beginner... [Re: OddOne]
    #284680 - 09/22/09 12:20 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

to answer your fluoro question, if your worried about space you might try investing in a T5 or T8 Fluorescent light. they are a bit spendy, but cheaper than a hps setup.

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
Re: A few questions from a beginner... [Re: Lucid]
    #284692 - 09/22/09 12:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

NO way, How did both of you guys Register on 4/20/08

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few questions from a beginner... [Re: Lucid]
    #285088 - 09/23/09 01:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Lucid said:
NO way, How did both of you guys Register on 4/20/08

That was Growery day 1 :smile:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains