Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCali_Quick
The New Guy

Best PH meter for the price?
    #267166 - 08/19/09 01:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hey just checking if anyone has found a reliable company that produces a quality digital pH meter that can read both soil and water readings.

Also quick question, I got 2 gals of distilled water so should I mix my distilled water into another container, then balance the pH, then water? I heard that distilled water is 6.0-6.5 PH( I'm going soil so I heard 6.5 is perfect for soil).

Another watering question, I have 2 gal pots and It was suggested online that I use 200ml of water every 48 hours and only mist the leafs during the vegetative cycle, has anyone tried this compared to the lift method?

I know i need to get a meter asap, but I wanted to make a quality investment. Also if my soil is at 6.0 or 7.0 PH how would I balance it out? just use higher, or lower PH in my watering until the soil responds or what?

EDIT: Is this info true I found this " Dolomite lime has been used by gardeners as a pH stabilizer for many years. It has a pH that is neutral (7.0). When added to soil in the correct proportions, it will stabilize soil at a pH near 7.0." from http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mjgrow9f.htm ;

Is this information correct?

Also any do I just apply it to the topsoil and water, or is it not an option after the plants are already in the soil?

I know these are newbie questions, but I appreciate the help.

Edited by Cali_Quick (08/19/09 01:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCali_Quick
The New Guy

Re: Best PH meter for the price? [Re: Cali_Quick]
    #267411 - 08/19/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Bump

--------------------
Cali_Quick

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best PH meter for the price? [Re: Cali_Quick]
    #269521 - 08/23/09 05:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Just add it as a top soil dressing and it will leach into the soil.

A meter that measures both soil and water. Not a good one. Measure the water ph that comes out of the bottom of the pot when you water.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Best PH meter for the price? [Re: Magash]
    #269544 - 08/23/09 07:15 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup: Get a chemical ph tester. It's just a vial of universal ph indicator with a small test tube to test it in. Universal indicator's pretty much dirt cheap and basic, but it's grand. So go with the cheapest. You'll get it in a pet store for testing fish tank ph, or in a gardening center or plant shop. Or ebay.

P.S. distilled water is pure water. It's ph is exactly 7.

Don't judge when to water based on a formula you read somewhere. Best way to go I think is when the top of the soil's starting to get pretty dry. Also weight is a good sign. Pick up the pot just after it's just been watered. And pick it up when it's looking dry. You should notice a big difference. If not then the soil's retaining more water under the surface.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Edited by Buddy (08/23/09 07:18 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best PH meter for the price? [Re: Buddy]
    #269607 - 08/23/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with that. The drops are the best way to go.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineGrowTech

Re: Best PH meter for the price? [Re: Magash]
    #279087 - 09/12/09 12:49 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Drops show you the pH based on color change. This does not accurately display the true pH of the water going in or out of the soil as tested water may have color to it already.

A cheap pH meter I recommend would be the Hanna Champ pH meter which is usually available for around $50.00 USD

You can buy a Hanna champ here

Best wishes! :smile:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best PH meter for the price? [Re: GrowTech]
    #279452 - 09/13/09 12:03 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The color of the solution does not affect the results of the drops. You can still clearly see the color of the drops.

I've been under the lights since 85 and have never seen a decent ph meter that doesn't have to be calibrated constantly esp the Hanna. When something is cheap there is a reason.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates