Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJrsxt

Re: Building a box [Re: Pipesmoker Elf]
    #27377 - 05/12/08 10:46 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm working on building it still. I've got the wood mostly cut out. Just seeing what all I need. I went and got some hinges and a lock for the door. I'm gonna make the whole wall a door, I think. I got some hooks to hang the ballast from. I will probably get mylar or white spray paint to paint it. Once I find a fan im gonna cut a whole for it. I'm still thinking about using a big computer fan. I'm still trying to figure out if it will be enough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledutchmushroom
Gratefuly Dead
Male

Loc: Dodge
Re: Building a box [Re: Pipesmoker Elf]
    #27378 - 05/12/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

cam is broke and i don't have any spare cahs after a 420 rippoff, plus i am paranoid i am not about to incriminate myself

peace out Dm

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill"

"The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began"

250w Digital HPS Growlight kit, ballast/lightbulb/reflector +Organic Botanicare Pure Blend Pro nutes Sale or Trade

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: Building a box [Re: dutchmushroom]
    #27382 - 05/12/08 11:12 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i can see you've stopped by my grow log. so yea, i used 2(23w) cfls for flowering those and have been using 4(26w) cfls for flowering, imo it works fine. i'm getting a 400w hps but am worried about heat. so really consider how much heat you will be able to deal with.

--------------------
Kids are always honest
Cause they don't think their ever gonna die

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Building a box [Re: araucaria]
    #27512 - 05/12/08 02:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

plus i am paranoid i am not about to incriminate myself

yet you posted the city and state you live in on the other site.....

Quote:

i'm getting a 400w hps but am worried about heat. so really consider how much heat you will be able to deal with.

Just know this, it's a lot. A 400 watt light will heat up a room to 90+ degrees in under 20 mins EASY without any ventilation. However with proper fans and exhaust set up cooling a 400 watt light is relatively easy when compared to, lets say, a 1000 watt light. As long as you have a place for the hot air to escape to, and a way to bring cooler, fresh, air in, then you'll be ok.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: Building a box [Re: coda]
    #27514 - 05/12/08 02:54 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

plus i am paranoid i am not about to incriminate myself

yet you posted the city and state you live in on the other site.....

Quote:

i'm getting a 400w hps but am worried about heat. so really consider how much heat you will be able to deal with.

Just know this, it's a lot. A 400 watt light will heat up a room to 90+ degrees in under 20 mins EASY without any ventilation. However with proper fans and exhaust set up cooling a 400 watt light is relatively easy when compared to, lets say, a 1000 watt light. As long as you have a place for the hot air to escape to, and a way to bring cooler, fresh, air in, then you'll be ok.

my hps just arrived, i'm about to see how hot my 18 x 33 x 60 box will get. i have a cooltube, but my box is in my closet, which doesnt get much ventilation

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Building a box [Re: araucaria]
    #27516 - 05/12/08 02:57 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't think you would have much of a heat problem with a cool-tube reflector, but my friend doesn't have any first-hand experience yet.

Araucaria, didn't you pick up a couple in-line fans for ventilation? :smile:

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: Building a box [Re: Sirius]
    #27519 - 05/12/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

yea, i'm using a 4" duct booster fan @ 80cfm for the 10" scrubber and a 6" one of those @ 250cfm for the reflector, i might just have to lightproof the growhut more and leave the door open for better airflow

--------------------
Kids are always honest

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #27520 - 05/12/08 03:13 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I wouldn't think you would have much of a heat problem with a cool-tube reflector, but my friend doesn't have any first-hand experience yet.

A cool tube without ventilation is WORTHLESS. You might was well just hang the light from a socket. The reason they're called cool tubes is because their designed to be cooled by air moving through the tube and out an exhaust port. If you don't hook up and fans to pull the hot air off the light it will just sit there and the temps will skyrocket.

So, just having a cool tube doesn't mean your room will be cooled properly. You still need to ventilate and do it right other wise you'll be battling temps the whole grow.

Quote:

my hps just arrived, i'm about to see how hot my 18 x 33 x 60 box will get

with the ballast placed outside the room and the light running in 1.5 ft deep and 3 foot wide closet i'll place a bet you'll see temps in the 100's in about 10 minutes.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #27526 - 05/12/08 03:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
A cool tube without ventilation is WORTHLESS.  You might was well just hang the light from a socket.  The reason they're called cool tubes is because their designed to be cooled by air moving through the tube and out an exhaust port.  If you don't hook up and fans to pull the hot air off the light it will just sit there and the temps will skyrocket.

Well of course, but I thought it was implied that there would be ventilation with a cool-tube. :grin:

I guess I wouldn't put it past some growers though, I see them all the time at rollitup. :lol:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #27532 - 05/12/08 03:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I guess I wouldn't put it past some growers though, I see them all the time at rollitup.

yah, that really wasn't directed at you, but for people who really don't know anything about cooling your room. Cool tubes are great, cheap, and effective. But if you don't use em right they're pointless lol.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #27538 - 05/12/08 03:32 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well here's a question on something I don't know about cool-tubes: Someone on here recently commented that it would be a bad idea to run a cool-tube's ventilation as the same ventilation for the grow room itself. They mentioned something about humidity.

Do you know anything about that? I can't see any reason why one shouldn't run one on the same ventilation in a smaller room (3ft x 4ft x 10ft). :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #27543 - 05/12/08 03:41 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i think what they were referring too was sucking the air out of the grow room(negative pressure) through the cool tub instead of having air forced through the cool tube(positive pressure).

The problem with using negative pressure comes from the size of your fan and your cubic footage of grow space. for instance a 4x4x7 room is 112 ft^3. If your fan rates below that and your using negative pressure you're not moving enough air through your grow room. This lets the temps rise, which increases plant transpiration, which will increase RH for a bit then rapidly decrease as the moisture is evaporated off completely, and does not provide enough FAE for your plants.

If you use a high rating fan, like a 256 cfm fan, your room will have the ability to move the old, stale, air out and let the new, fresh, air in. So at that point since your fan is rated high enough, it won't matter if you want to use positive or negative pressure to exhaust your air.

Personally i use both! I have a 4 inch fan pulling air off the cool tube from the grow room with another 4 inch fan blowing fresh air into the grow tent. This helps regulate temps and keeps the plants happy with as much fresh air as possible. My RH is pretty stable as well at 40%, before in my old apt i was lucky to see the RH go above 25%. Now that i have this new fan setup my plants aren't losing water as rapidly and are able to keep a constant RH and aren't burning to death from high heat and poor air exchange.

Also, keep in mind, you should have at least one circulating fan in the grow room to blow air over the plants. Helps promote thick stems, keeps the air circulating, and prevents mold problems (of which im now battling thanks to the increased RH, FUCK YOU MILDEW).

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #27548 - 05/12/08 03:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for illuminating upon what they were probably referring to. Makes sense! I can't recall the specific calculations I did for my friend, but essentially the in-line fan he is intending on using is more than adequate for the space of his room. I'd do the calculations again to run them by you right now, but it involves a conversion from cubic meters/hour to cubic feet/minute and my eyes hurt as is. :lol:

He's definitely planning on an oscillating fan to keep ample ambient wind going on. :yesnod:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #27557 - 05/12/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

calculation shouldn't be hard, take the CFH and divide by 60 to get CFM :smile:

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #27626 - 05/12/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah but first you have to take the meters times thirty-five or so (actually, Google the volume converter since its easier :smirk:) and also find the link to the fan page to get the initial number and etc. :lol:

I just figured it out now and the fan he's looking to get is 215 ft3/minute and the room is 106 ft3. That should definitely manage it, eh? :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #27647 - 05/12/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

should do just fine, general rule of thumb is you want your fan to move twice as much air as the ft^3 of your grow area. so 106 ft^3 * 2 = 212 which puts you right at the edge. If he's unable to control temps using that fan, or, is having problems related to air circulation, you can go to home depot and buy an inline duct fan for like 30 bucks that will increase the CFM of your exhaust fan.

Similarly he can go to home depot and pick up a stanley blower for like 40 bucks and modify it to move air. It's easy to do, cheap (ducting is only 10 bucks for what you need), and the fan pushes 256 cfm (ignore the numbers on stanleys site, they're fabricated). A lot of indoor growers on budgets use these, the best part about them is they're cheap and light so you can stick them almost anywhere. Downside is they get kind of noisy so if that's a security issue for your friend, he'll need to insulate it to hide the noise.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #27700 - 05/12/08 05:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Ahh, that rule of thumb is new to me (was under the impression it was the same amount of air in less than five minutes, not sure where that came from :shrug:).
At any rate, he can double or triple the amount of air the in-line extractor fan can move with thirty to sixty more euros with no problem. :smile:

The Home Depot idea is a really good one but they don't exist here. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #27747 - 05/12/08 05:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The five minute rule is probably something that you want at MINIMUM. However 5 minutes is a long enough period of time to let heat develop. Plus the more fresh air your plants have the happier they are.

Like i said he'll probably be ok with that one fan, but it's never a bad thing to add a little extra just in case.

Quote:

The Home Depot idea is a really good one but they don't exist here.

Ah, thought you were stateside.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #28357 - 05/13/08 02:33 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
The five minute rule is probably something that you want at MINIMUM.  However 5 minutes is a long enough period of time to let heat develop.  Plus the more fresh air your plants have the happier they are.

Like i said he'll probably be ok with that one fan, but it's never a bad thing to add a little extra just in case.

Makes sense. He'll double the volume of air that it can move. Hopefully that one comes back in stock within time or he'll have to triple it. :smirk:

Quote:

Ah, thought you were stateside.

I was at one time. :hehehe:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds