Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrAl
Stranger

Pest Control...
    #245784 - 07/03/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have had about two weeks of straight rain/thunderstorms.

I had some plants in some outdoor areas.  They were small.  Upon checking up on plants (after two weeks) I found that they had been chewed to pieces by insects.  I surmise that the crazy rain has dramatically increased the insect population....

My question is two-fold.  What are the best strategies for preventing crop destruction by insects?  I also have some bagseed that I was thinking about germinating today.  I wanted grower input as to whether 13 weeks (germination to harvest) would be sufficient for even a small harvest. (It would start today harvest end of September, is that enough time?)

Thank you kindly.

EDIT

I would start plants under a couple fluoros.  I use earth juice products, plants minerals, mycorrhizae, fulvic acid & sea kelp extract, amino acids, and tomato steroids (super-grow.biz), soil is organic plus some perlite and vermiculite for proper drainage (PH is probably around 7).

Edited by MrAl (07/03/09 03:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pest Control... [Re: MrAl]
    #245786 - 07/03/09 03:58 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

For bug control, i use tobacco juice. Usually will pick up a couple pouches of bugler or tops rollies. Dump both packs into a 24oz bottle and fill the rest with boiling water. Let it set for a couple days, drain and put into a spray bottle. I will then spray my plants as often as needed and also pour some of the juice around the roots of the plant. By doing this i am hoping the plant will suck up some of this juice and distribute it through the plant. So far i hve been pretty bug free. Also you may want to clear any grass and debris around the plants to eliminate any bug homes close to the plants.

13 weeks is pretty short unless its automatic.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineMrAl
Stranger

Re: Pest Control... [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #245791 - 07/03/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Fucking badass.  I wish I had known that a week ago and had kept better tabs on my bitches.  The only seeds I have to plant are random bagseed.  Typically harvest has to occur by end of September but maybe I could just keep a real close eye on the weather and try to get into October for a week or two.  That could bump it up to 14 or 15 weeks.  I heard that tomatoes are allergic to tobacco.  Interesting that it's safe on cannabis.  How often would you spray them down with the tobacco tea??? 

I know yield would be drastically lowered.  If it's possible though I'll start them today.  So 13 weeks if by the end of September and MAYBE another week or two.

What do you think??

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #245793 - 07/03/09 04:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Me personally, would leave them till first frost. If your up on the weather then covering them from the frost would give you a few more weeks too. They will start producing tho when the sun light starts to decrease and depending on the strain of your bag seed it could finish up quick or take too long.

Also this depending on the area of your garden. I have tied mine down on earlier colder years to prevent the frost from hitting them so hard. I have never really had a bad outcome by doing this.

The nicotine tea,  i started using it daily for the first week. The bugs for me have disappeared. So i just spray a maintenance dose every week or 2. I do think that by dumping some for the roots to take it up into the plants does work and makes them bitter and not eatable for bugs.

--------------------

OfflineMrAl
Stranger

#245802 - 07/03/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I will definitely leave them up until right before first frost.  This area has schizophrenic weather patterns so I'll need to be on my toes.

Do you start tying them down earlier, kind of like training them? 

I don't know if I'll even tie them because the time is so short I don't think they'll get tall.  The seeds are a completely random mix so I have no idea what they'll look like.

Thanks for the input, especially on the exact info on tobacco juice application.  If I don't have any problems with insects I think favorable odds increase dramatically!  It was disturbing to see how plants were just eaten to pieces....

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #245806 - 07/03/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Outdoors,haha, i have had deer,rabbits ,skunks and raccoons chow mine down. Skunks and raccoons dig them up because of the fresh soil looking for grubs, leaving the plant there to dry up. Thats the worst! Insects however have devoured many seedlings too and they are no better. Usually leaving small chunks of leaf and veins.

Be careful with the tea too,I have read it can be very toxic to people and animals like any other insecticide.

I used to have some tree's for plants back when i was up north since most the seed stock i could get back then was bagseed of the mexican brick kine'. I would train them to grow low with the surrounding grass and if frost were to hit i would pull them down a little closer to the ground for warmth of the earth and throw a brown burlap sack over them to keep the frost off my girls.

--------------------

OfflineMrAl
Stranger

#245809 - 07/03/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I recall hearing that cayenne pepper keeps the critters from munching the plant.  I will have to do some research on that. 

Maybe a mixture of cayenne pepper and tobacco as a foliar spray?

Perhaps sprayed toward the roots will keep critters from digging...

I wonder if garlic is useful.......

It would be cool to come up with a nice spray combo that keeps multiple problem organisms from hurting mj....

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #245813 - 07/03/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

There are quite a few foilar sprays/oils you can use/make to help control pests on your plants.  While I bet nicotine would work, neem oil has also been very popular (stems from use in India) in controlling pests.  You can also make your own home-made sprays with the following ingredients:
  • water
  • clove oil
  • cinnamon
  • garlic
  • a couple drops of soap (e.g. Dr. Bonner's brand)

Be careful with the concentrations however, and make sure to test your product on a small part of the plant and observe for at least 24 hours before using on the rest of your plants.  You can easily burn the plant if your spray is too strong, or if you use oils in your spray which can magnify light and absorb heat, in turn burning the leaves.  Apply sprays at the beginning of your night cycle to reduce the risk of burning the plant, and to increase their effectiveness against pests.

If you've tried the organic route and still have trouble, you may need to look into more powerful pesticides/miticides such as Avid for spider-mites.  Of course, if you use the powerful stuff, make sure to do so BEFORE the plant begins flowering!

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineMrAl
Stranger

Re: Pest Control... [Re: geokills]
    #245849 - 07/04/09 08:38 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hey thank you too.

I am going to put that in my "recipe book".  My plants were wrecked in a two week period of torrential rains. Pests ate almost every bit of their leaves.  I have never seen anything like that before. 

I'm soaking some more (started last night) but I don't know if 13-14 weeks are long enough.  Well, it's alright to make a mistake as long as you don't repeat that same mistake.  I am going to make sure I always have anti-pest foliar spray ingredients and recipes on hand!

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #246167 - 07/05/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ya dude I checked my plants today and this is what I saw.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pest Control... [Re: Triptonic]
    #246169 - 07/05/09 07:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

triptonic said:
ya dude I checked my plants today and this is what I saw.

I see dead grass on and around your trays. From experience if you leave the ground covered with grass and put the plants on the squashed grass, bug will eat your sprouts alive. It's best if you can clear the ground down to bare earth this way the bugs have no where to live. The critters seem to live in that grass cover and come up for a periodic snack.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#246170 - 07/05/09 07:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm interesting point. I'm thinking tomorrow I will be planting them in the ground. Any pointers for that moment? If you wanna check out my grow log its :bong: click the bong!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pest Control... [Re: Triptonic]
    #246175 - 07/05/09 07:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

just clean the ground about a foot or more around them if possible. And use the above remedies if needed ....

--------------------

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

#246428 - 07/06/09 06:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm scared now. Gonna have nightmares of giant insects sneaking up out of the shaddows to eat stinky. Great!

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Pest Control... [Re: Buddy]
    #246436 - 07/06/09 06:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lol do you have giant ireland insects?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds