Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Aquaponics
    #243961 - 06/28/09 11:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

People are doing this all over out here on the islands. Looks like a green way of growing. Its only used for veggies so far but has potential, you think?
The article is from http://www.socalfishfarm.com/fish/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=53

What is Aquaponics?
Aquaponics is an integrated aquaculture (growing fish) and hydroponic (growing soilless plants) system that mutually benefits both environments.  Aquaponics uses no chemicals, requires one tenth or 10% of the water needed for field plant production and only a fraction of the water that is used for fish culture (Aquaculture).

The waste from fish tanks is treated with natural bacteria that converts the waste, largely ammonia, first to nitrite and then to nitrate. The fish waste absorbed by plants is pumped to a bio-filter system as a nutrient solution for the growing plants (Grow Bed). The only external input to the system is food for the fish. Both systems complement each other as a single unit, not as separate units.

Once the system is initialized the water stays Ph balanced and remains crystal clear. The water is recycled with a small amount of water added weekly to compensate for what is lost by evaporation and transpiration by the vegetables. Aquaponics is the future of home gardening and commercial fresh food production.

Greenhouse growers and farmers are taking note of Aquaponics for several reasons:

* Hydroponic growers view fish-manured irrigation water as a source of organic fertilizer that enables plants to grow well.

* Fish farmers view hydroponics as a bio-filtration method to facilitate intensive re-circulating aquaculture.

* Greenhouse growers view Aquaponics as a way to introduce organic hydroponic produce into the marketplace, since the only fertility input is fish feed and all of the nutrients pass through a biological process.

* Food-producing greenhouses – yielding two products from one production unit – are naturally appealing for niche marketing and green labeling.

* Aquaponics can enable the production of fresh vegetables and fish protein in arid regions and on water-limited farms, since it is a “water re-use” system.

* Aquaponics is a working model of sustainable food production wherein plant and animal agriculture are integrated and recycling of nutrients and water filtration are linked.

* In addition to commercial application, Aquaponics has become a popular training aid on integrated bio-systems with vocational agriculture programs and high school biology classes.

The technology associated with Aquaponics is complex. It requires the ability to simultaneously manage the production and marketing of two different agricultural products. Until the 1980s, most attempts at integrated hydroponics and aquaculture had limited success. However, innovations since the 1980s have transformed Aquaponics technology into a viable system of food production. Modern Aquaponic systems can be highly successful, but they require intensive management and they have special considerations.

Nutrients in Aquaculture Effluent: Greenhouse growers normally control the delivery of precise quantities of mineral elements to hydroponic plants. However, in Aquaponics, nutrients are delivered via Aquacultural effluent. Fish effluent contains sufficient levels of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphorus, potassium, and other secondary and micronutrients to produce hydroponic plants. Naturally, some plant species are better adapted to this system than others. The technical literature on Aquaponics provides greater detail on hydroponic nutrient delivery; especially see papers cited in the Bibliography by James Rakocy, PhD.

Plants Adapted to Aquaponics: The selection of plant species adapted to hydroponic culture in Aquaponic greenhouses are related to stocking density of fish tanks and subsequent nutrient concentration of Aquacultural effluent. Lettuce, herbs, and specialty greens (spinach, chives, basil, and watercress) have low to medium nutritional requirements and are well adapted to Aquaponic systems. Plants yielding fruit (tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumbers) have a higher nutritional demand and perform better in a heavily stocked, well established Aquaponic system. Greenhouse varieties of tomatoes are better adapted to low light, high humidity conditions in greenhouses than field varieties.

Fish Species: Several warm-water and cold-water fish species are adapted to re-circulating aquaculture systems, including tilapia, trout, perch, Arctic char, and bass. However, most commercial Aquaponic systems in North America are based on tilapia. Tilapia is a warm-water species that grows well in a re-circulating tank culture. Furthermore, tilapia is tolerant of fluctuating water conditions such as pH, temperature, oxygen, and dissolved solids. Tilapia produces a white-fleshed meat suitable to local and wholesale markets. The literature on tilapia contains extensive technical documentation and cultural procedures. Barramundi and Murray cod fish species are raised in re-circulating Aquaponic systems in Australia.

Water Quality Characteristics: Fish raised in re-circulating tank culture require good water quality conditions. Water quality testing kits from Aquacultural supply companies are fundamental. Critical water quality parameters include dissolved oxygen, carbon dioxide, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, chlorine, and other characteristics. The stocking density of fish, growth rate of fish, feeding rate and volume, and related environmental fluctuations can elicit rapid changes in water quality; constant and vigilant water quality monitoring is essential.

Biofiltration and Suspended Solids: Aquaculture effluent contains nutrients, dissolved solids, and waste byproducts. Some Aquaponics systems are designed with intermediate filters and cartridges to collect suspended solids in fish effluent, and to facilitate conversion of ammonia and other waste products to forms more available to plants prior to delivery to hydroponic vegetable beds. Other systems deliver fish effluent directly to gravel-cultured hydroponic vegetable beds. The gravel functions as a “fluidized bed bioreactor,” removing dissolved solids and providing habitat for nitrifying bacteria involved in nutrient conversions.

Component Ratio: Matching the volume of fish tank water to volume of hydroponic media is known as component ratio. Early Aquaponics systems were based on a ratio of 1:1, but 1:2 is now common and tank: bed ratios as high as 1:4 are employed. The variation in range depends on type of hydroponic system (gravel vs. raft), fish species, fish density, feeding rate, plant species, etc. Further, when shallow bed systems only three inches in depth are employed for the production of specialty greens such as lettuce and basil, the square footage of grow space will increase four times. Depending on the system design, the component ratio can favor greater outputs of either hydroponic produce or fish protein. A “node” is a configuration that links one fish tank to a certain number of hydroponic beds. Thus, one greenhouse may contain a multiple number of fish tanks and associated growing beds, each arranged in a separate node.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBen18
Drunk Derelict
Male User Gallery

Re: Aquaponics [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #244019 - 06/29/09 08:36 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Good post :thumbup:

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #244058 - 06/29/09 11:02 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:strokebeard:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aquaponics [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #244080 - 06/29/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have a brother-in-law who is all up into this farming method and have been seeing sign along the roads advertising meetings for growers and interested people.

So curiosity got the better of me and had to look it up.
And once i found out what it was all about, figured people
might be interested in it.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #244082 - 06/29/09 12:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

yeah its very interesting...

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244083 - 06/29/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting... construct greenhouse.... grow plants... have fish...

I wonder about how this is all set up... like how does the water get to the plants and end up back in the pond/lagoon or whatever it is.

This is really good for cold climates because the water holds heat very good.

This would be really fucking cool, any links to small scale setups?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aquaponics [Re: captain.koons]
    #244090 - 06/29/09 01:03 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Here is a video of someones aquaponics set up. and the link at the bottom is another video made by SoCalFishFarms.com

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-2358215963178436021&

You tube has a bunch more videos on this subject

--------------------

Edited by SpaceMonkey (06/29/09 01:04 PM)

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244099 - 06/29/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ah.. the aquarium water is just used as a reservoir of "nutrient solution" then it's run like ebb and flow or drip irrigated.

I bet light feeding mj plants would love that shit.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244102 - 06/29/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

yep, my
Quote:

captain.koons said:

I bet light feeding mj plants would love that shit.

that's what i was thinking

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244124 - 06/29/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the nutrient supply wouldn't be ideal I don't believe.. but with organics it doesn't matter so much.

I'm going to try this when I get off vacation with my aquarium I think. I believe I'll just replace the tank as my reservoir for ebb and flow. I may need a new pump or some sort of filter so my pump doesn't jam... or I could just rig my sump to pump into a ebb and flow table then it would have to be drained into the tank again (pumped as my tank is fairly high off the ground)

Hmm... but then it would be like constant feeding more like NFT or DWC... hmmzors. I will need to think.

You could do this really cheap btw... The plants will clean ur tank very fast especially when established so you could get a 10-30gal tank and crowd it with goldfish to produce lots of waste in a small space. Using aquatic turtles is really good for this sort of thing too cuz they're dirty as fuck (require 4x more filtration than fish for example) They're like 50$ a pop where I live but in the states very cheap.

you can get 25 baby turtles for 150$ online. feeding them is cheap too!

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244135 - 06/29/09 02:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

glad to see your getting excited about this method. Was hoping by placing the article here, someone would be interested in trying it out.

I have no space to do it where i am living now. But keep us posted if you do try this out, specially on MJ. Kinda intersted if it would support MJ or not.

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244136 - 06/29/09 02:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I think it would be great for the veggy stage since its main goal seems to be in producing nitrogen through bacterial break down.
May not be so great for the flowering stage.

Edit: Fish effluent contains sufficient levels of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphorus, potassium, and other secondary and micronutrients to produce hydroponic plants.

--------------------

Edited by SpaceMonkey (06/29/09 02:26 PM)

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244147 - 06/29/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
I think it would be great for the veggy stage since its main goal seems to be in producing nitrogen through bacterial break down.
May not be so great for the flowering stage.

Edit: Fish effluent contains sufficient levels of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphorus, potassium, and other secondary and micronutrients to produce hydroponic plants.

I don't know if I want to try with mj at all/or soon due to the fact it would be lacking P and K significantly for flower. Maybe I'll try after it's proven with something else.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244149 - 06/29/09 02:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
glad to see your getting excited about this method. Was hoping by placing the article here, someone would be interested in trying it out.

I have no space to do it where i am living now. But keep us posted if you do try this out, specially on MJ. Kinda intersted if it would support MJ or not.

I actually have this already. In my aquariums sump I have water reeds which grow inside the sump and filter nitrates and such. It's just not set up to grow plants externally using the aquarium water.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244167 - 06/29/09 02:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

It has been proven with many vegetables. Aquaponics seems to be a big thing out here. Go figure, the hawaiians have been using fishing and gardening for years out here. The thing is i am not sure how many are using it for there medical crops.

Quote:

Plants Adapted to Aquaponics: The selection of plant species adapted to hydroponic culture in Aquaponic greenhouses are related to stocking density of fish tanks and subsequent nutrient concentration of Aquacultural effluent. Lettuce, herbs, and specialty greens (spinach, chives, basil, and watercress) have low to medium nutritional requirements and are well adapted to Aquaponic systems. Plants yielding fruit (tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumbers) have a higher nutritional demand and perform better in a heavily stocked, well established Aquaponic system. Greenhouse varieties of tomatoes are better adapted to low light, high humidity conditions in greenhouses than field varieties.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244171 - 06/29/09 02:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I got it figured out.

Fish tank or whatever with fish = pre reservoir

then the pre reservoir fills the reservoir continuously like a aquarium is normally filtered. then  there's a overflow in the reservoir that drips back into the pre reservoir and my ebb and flow system can run normally.

-

I know it works but I don't know how well it works, which is what I meant by proven. I'd crowd the fuck out of my preres though. Hopefully I'll have a grow log by September. I'll be on vacation until end of August starting July 9th.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244176 - 06/29/09 03:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Either way, i'm interested in you doing this. So please update if you do?

There is alot more info on the net about it, and the link to the site i got the article from has a good abundence of info aswell. Just in case your still in need of more how to's.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244186 - 06/29/09 03:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I got the setup figured out, just gotta figure out what size pre-res and what plants I want to grow.

I pmd my expert on this sort of stuff on another forum so I'm going to look into this more for outdoors also. Greenhouse that is.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244281 - 06/29/09 05:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244288 - 06/29/09 06:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nice find koons :thumbup: ty

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale