Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFugueRider
God! I Love Psychedelics!
 User Gallery

What Size Pots Should I Use?
    #225822 - 05/13/09 07:18 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A couple of questions about transplanting. A bunch of people have a bunch of different ideas about this.

1) On "Weeds that Please"; he says to just transplant once. So I have germinated my seeds in a Dixie cup. He says that once they are nice and strong to just go ahead and put them into a three to five gallon container.

1) The other thing I have come across goes about like this: "A good rule of thumb is 12" of height/per gallon and to double the size of your existing pot on transplanting."

So why would I want to transplant more than once. It seems like a pain in the ass to me. Several transplants seem however, to be more the norm than just doing it once. So what is the rationale behind doing several transplants?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
Re: What Size Pots Should I Use? [Re: FugueRider]
    #225849 - 05/13/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

pot size and plant size do go hand in hand, u want a big plant, get a big pot, like a 5 or 10 gallon bucket. As far as transplants, when i use to grow from seed i'd transplant probl 3 times. from a jiffy cube to a 6 inch pot, see whos gonna be male or female, chunk the males and put my females in 10 gals and let them grow to a monsterous size. now days i just have a few monsterous moms  that i cut from, stick em in 6 inch pots and go SOG. I'm harvesting bout every 4 weeks, got a good rotation going.

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: What Size Pots Should I Use? [Re: bobby]
    #230282 - 05/22/09 09:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You will need a gallon per each month of growth. 3 months = 3 gallon pots.

Going from Jiffy cube, to small pots, to final pots is fine. A product like Superthrive will help with transplant shock. Its good stuff regardless.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
    #230465 - 05/22/09 01:17 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I just started switching my 4 day sprouts from peat pods to 6". If they look healthy in a week or so I'm transplanting into the biggest pot I could find...Mother Earth:tongue2:

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

OfflineBlazingMonkeys
Stranger
    #285808 - 09/24/09 03:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FugueRider said:

1) The other thing I have come across goes about like this: "A good rule of thumb is 12" of height/per gallon and to double the size of your existing pot on transplanting."

So why would I want to transplant more than once. It seems like a pain in the ass to me. Several transplants seem however, to be more the norm than just doing it once. So what is the rationale behind doing several transplants?

Well, personally, it is easiest just to plant in the final container to begin with. I too find transplanting 3-4 times quite unneccessary.

As for the gallon per foot of growth, this is a good place to estimate everything, however it really depends on the watering. A plant that is not watered properly will usually be more prone to being rootbound as the roots will look hard for water in the pot. As long as you water properly, one gallon per foot of growth should be just fine.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What Size Pots Should I Use? [Re: BlazingMonkeys]
    #285813 - 09/24/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Welcome to The Growery, BlazingMonkeys!
But your response is to a 4 month old post. Pretty sure they got it by now, but good bit of information for others to learn from. Wish all the other noobs who opened old post like this would at least leave some pertinent info like you have!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineBlazingMonkeys
Stranger
Re: What Size Pots Should I Use? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #285844 - 09/24/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Welcome to The Growery, BlazingMonkeys!
But your response is to a 4 month old post. Pretty sure they got it by now, but good bit of information for others to learn from. Wish all the other noobs who opened old post like this would at least leave some pertinent info like you have!

Thank you very much. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies