Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
My NEW Grow. Sensi Star sensations. Indoor/Outdoor!!!
    #229980 - 05/21/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

First off, I need to apologize to the community for not completing last years outdoor grow post. Needless to say after harvesting trees that size I kinda lost touch with the world for a while. Anyway.
On to my NEW grow. Much bigger and better than last year. I jumped the gun a little and started a bunch way too early and had my 400W HPS waaay too high. I restarted with shop lights (they never fail me). I managed to get a hold of MANY Sensi Star seeds so that's what it'll be this year!
  After reading up on Sensi Star (and acquiring a 400 watter), I've decided to keep a few indoors. The ones that were outpacing the rest I transplanted into bigger pots and those are the ones under the HPS. The light has an interesting story behind it.
  One day my girlfriend was x-country skiing and I was walking on the trail for my lack of skiing skills, when my girl stopped to get a bird nest (don't ask, she's like that). I walked ahead and decided to explore this abandoned factory. The roof had caved in in parts because of the snow and the inside was a dump but I was curious. I walked into one room where the roof was collapsed and guess what I found? That's right, right there on the placard on the ballast it read 400W HPS. Much to my surprise it was already rigged for 110V. The roof had barely missed it when it collapsed and it was frozen to the floor in solid ice. Like it's gonna work, right?
  Here's the weird part. I started looking around the room for something to break the ice. Nothing. I came back to the light and BAM!!! Leaning against the wall, right next to the light, was an old ice chisel! Almost like God saying, "Grow my son." So I chipped out the reflector from the ice and returned that night to pick it up in the truck. I'm thinking, like that piece of shit is gonna work. So I get it home drag it upstairs and plug er in. BBZZZZZ! Just like magic.
I know it's not the best; it happens to be a vertical fixture. But for free WTF, who cares? So this will be my first attempt at indoor.
  My question is how low can I keep my light? It's about 5 inches from the tops right now. Should I go higher??? Below is a pic of it.
The other pic is of my outdoor babies. They're going out right now. Sum went out today. But they're definitely off to a good start. I'd say I'm right near the 99 limit. The new log will be posted in Grow Journals and I'll complete it this year, I promise. It should be there in about a week, after I get pics of my outdoor plots.
  Anyone with any Sensi Star growing experience feel free to chime in.
Happy Growing!!!

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: My NEW Grow. Sensi Star sensations. Indoor/Outdoor!!! [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #229982 - 05/21/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

hahaha kool story.....and good start......lookin foreward to seeing your grow bloom!

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My NEW Grow. Sensi Star sensations. Indoor/Outdoor!!! [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #229990 - 05/21/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

you gota move that light up a bit. The height for a 400w hps is from 14-22" above the plants. I have my 400w air cooled and about 13" from my plant, and the leaves directly under the light are being damaged at that distance with a sealed air cooled light. Hopefully this helps, and you haven't scorched the top of your plants off yet.

Edited by Integra21 (05/22/09 12:27 AM)

Offlinemsmr5150
Re: My NEW Grow. Sensi Star sensations. Indoor/Outdoor!!! [Re: Integra21]
    #230103 - 05/21/09 09:22 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Integra21 said:
you gota move that light up a bit. The height for a 400w hps is from 14-22" above the plants. I have my 400w air cooled and about 13" from my plant, and the leaves directly under the light are being damaged at that distance with a sealed air cooled light. Hopefully this helps, and you haven't scorched the top of your plants off yet.

i dunno about that much space i always kept mine about 8-9 inches from the tops without any burns or damage and i was using the same kind of industrial ballast.

i also rigged mine to hold the bulb horizontaly and used an old hydrofarms hood.

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My NEW Grow. Sensi Star sensations. Indoor/Outdoor!!! [Re: msmr5150]
    #230152 - 05/22/09 12:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Do you use a standard bulb, or a high output bulb? I use a Son Argo 430w (53,000 lumens). Any closer than 13" and my leaves start to burn. Light is air cooled and have a fan on the plants and ultrasonic humidifier keeping rh@50%.

Offlinemsmr5150
    #230295 - 05/22/09 10:07 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i didnt use a high output. its weird that 30 watts makes that big of a difference.

Offlinemsmr5150
    #230300 - 05/22/09 10:14 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i didnt use a high output. its weird that 30 watts makes that big of a difference.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #230461 - 05/22/09 01:12 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It's not necessarily the watts that make that kind of difference, it is the Lumen output that truly measures how much Light is actually being put off by the bulb. 53,000 Lumens is quite a lot...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinemsmr5150
Re: My NEW Grow. Sensi Star sensations. Indoor/Outdoor!!! [Re: Inverted]
    #230597 - 05/22/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yeah but i dont believe the lumens are what burns the plant it is the heat. im not discrediting you i have just been under that impression. can somone else elaborate on the subject?

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #230693 - 05/22/09 11:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

the heat is what would burn a plant yes....."lumens" are a  measurement used to measure light intensity (how much light).....watts are how much power is being used......usually more "watts" more heat....but heat also ranges depending upon what type of light you use......i have a 1000 watt "HID" system and i keep it like a foot away from the plants......as long as theres ventilation, my girls are good.....
:bigweed:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Edited by Dr. Siekadellyk (05/22/09 11:40 PM)

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My NEW Grow. Sensi Star sensations. Indoor/Outdoor!!! [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #230741 - 05/23/09 01:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

My light is sealed and air cooled. I can touch the glass with no discomfort from heat. But when the plant gets closer than 13" on mine it starts to burn the leaves and almost bleaches the color right out of them. You can even see this in my pics in my journal. The branches directly under the light are clearly not as green, not a nutrient problem, and as the branches get further from the light, they are visibly greener.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #230811 - 05/23/09 06:54 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Wow people. Thanks for all the valuable input. So I raised my light up another few inches just to get a little more light to the plants on the edges. There's about a 10" gap now. I'm trying to keep it as low as possible. The last time I used it, I was starting seedlings and I had a few closet queens about 2ft. high under it. The light was hung from the ceiling at that point and stretched the hell out of them. That's why I had to start over with seedlings this year. Lesson learned.
I don't have a problem burning yet. If you look at the one on the left you can see where a few leaves are burned yellow. This was from the  shoplight. That one plant grew so fast it grew right into the floruscent before I could raise it. I would have put it outdoors but it was the fastest grower I have. The other strange thing is that most of the burns have RECOVERED since going under the HPS which is odd because yellow burns rarely go back to normal. I've never seen anything like it.
Suprisingly it's not too hot under the light (cooler than I expeted). I figured it would be hell to keep cool because of the reflector shape. As long as I keep the fan going she stays pretty cool.
The plant directly under the bulb looks completely yellow under the light. When I pull it out its green as $$$. None of the others have this effect when put directly under the bulb. I hope it's a girl!!!

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom