Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe_Centre
Male
Whats with the white spots?
    #196186 - 02/15/09 09:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

There are white spots on the top and bottom of my leaves. They are not aphids. I do not know what it is, they are small patches, with each spot about a millimeter apart. Some of my plants burn, but that is because I re-planted them into a nutrient rich soil (organic, chicken shit, bonemeal (only at the bottom, for flowering.) and I use fish emulsion whenever I water.) and it first had to get used to it.
It rained three times this week, the first time the same night I watered them, the second 3 days later (HARD), and the next morning (this morning.) again. I am growing in pots outside, and I wasn't able to get them out of the rain except for this morning.

I do not know the pH, nor do I have a device for measuring it. I am broke right now, so I can't buy a pH meter, I just hope it is something else.

I will have to buy some tobacco and make some tobacco tea to make sure I do not get any pests.

--------------------
Current Grow, backyard outdoor.

Backyard Grow

It is just you out there, there is nothing to fear, as it is all just you. Displeasure and fear is an illusion, love is the only truth...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemsmr5150
Re: Whats with the white spots? [Re: The_Centre]
    #196202 - 02/15/09 10:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

general hydroponics sells a ph meter for like $3.00 i suggest that you find some cans to recycle or somthing cause im new to growing too and ph was a major contributor to my problems. i also had little white spots on my leaves mostly the lower ones im not sure if it was the ph or the spider mites but now i adjust the ph of the water befor i water and i check the run off as well and i have been using floramite for pests.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats with the white spots? [Re: msmr5150]
    #196204 - 02/15/09 10:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

do the spots rub off or come off if you blow on the leaves gently?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #196228 - 02/15/09 12:49 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

no pictures??  Sounds to me you have an aphid/mite problem. I am unsure the name of these little white powdery looking mites, but out in the islands here we have these super small white powder covered bugs. When they cluster together they can look like white clumps of mold. they barely move, so an individual bug may look as if its stationary. The best solution i have found for these bugs is a diluted dish soap spray. fill a spray bottle with water, add about a table spoon of dish soap and spray all parts of your plants, especially the undersides of the leaves.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offlineelaspeinreason
his serene highness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington DC
Re: Whats with the white spots? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #196234 - 02/15/09 01:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
The best solution i have found for these bugs is a diluted dish soap spray. fill a spray bottle with water, add about a table spoon of dish soap and spray all parts of your plants, especially the undersides of the leaves.

thats crazy talk , get some organics.

--------------------
हम सब एक है ~ We Are All One
The ultimate source of happiness, successful life, is within ourselves. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. - Buddha

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
Re: Whats with the white spots? [Re: coda]
    #196538 - 02/16/09 04:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

coda said:
do the spots rub off or come off if you blow on the leaves gently?

Nope, they are NOT, I repeat NOT aphids. This is my first weed grow, but not my first time I grew plants in general, and I KNOW this is not aphids or mites.

Once I get some money, (when I say broke, I mean, I have $0.00 in my disposal, but the food for the month plus the rent plus everything essential is bought, so I am pretty much fine, but I just spent my last dollar...) I will get some pipe tobacco and a PH meter.

BTW, will a pool PH meter work? I've got a ton of those.

The spots are so small that they do not show up on a photo, but I feel, any burn that there might be a little of, will stop burning my plant soon, once it gets a little bigger. (It is only like 3 inches high.)

--------------------

Backyard Grow

It is just you out there, there is nothing to fear, as it is all just you. Displeasure and fear is an illusion, love is the only truth...

Edited by The_Centre (02/16/09 04:52 AM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #196658 - 02/16/09 04:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

who said anything about aphids.  I asked because there is a possibility you have a powdery mildew infection.  Even though mother nature is good at taking care of molds and what not, you can still battle this beast outdoors as well as in (although it's more common in an indoor grow).

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #196728 - 02/16/09 09:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i wanted to say powdery mold :crazy:

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #196736 - 02/16/09 09:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

to much humidity,need to get it out into an airy area for awhile

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #196746 - 02/16/09 09:46 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

spraying it with a baking soda formula is effective as a preventative when applied regularily. For active infections spray daily for a week. 1 tbs./gallon

--------------------

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #196852 - 02/17/09 06:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

coda said:
who said anything about aphids.  I asked because there is a possibility you have a powdery mildew infection.  Even though mother nature is good at taking care of molds and what not, you can still battle this beast outdoors as well as in (although it's more common in an indoor grow).

Not you, another guy.

Oh, and it is none of the above, it is just some whitish spots on my leaf, it doesn't rub off, the air is not too humid (it is in broad daylight, infact, if anything, it is not humid enough.), it is the pigment of the leaf itself that made it like that.

I did have a little bit of a snail problem on my bottom leaves, and now there is a ton of salt around my plants. If this might also be snails, then I probably do not need to worry as there won't be a single snail ever again on my plants.

I will give my plants a light flushing next time I water (it is burning very slightly, if I flush out 5-10% of the nutes it will be fine.) and do so every time I water for the next two weeks, to get like 30% of the nutes at the top to go down lower in the soil, where the roots will reach it by the time they need more nutrients.
The rain also gave it a light flushing and I think in a week or two the plant will be 100%.

I am actually thinking I am worrying too much, I can't expect to get a plant like this on my first grow:

Hows that for a healthy plant?

Or like this:

--------------------

Backyard Grow

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #196853 - 02/17/09 06:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, btw here are pics. (They look a tiny little bit worse at the moment as I haven't watered them yet, and there is a little more burn (you can't see the tiny bit of burn at all on this photo, but it got a little bit worse (not much.) and they need a little flush.) I want them to get really nice and dry so that I can flush them a little (using about half the pot's size worth of water.) without over watering them, to the point where the extra water will be very welcome):

Note the tiny white spots on the bottom right 3 finger fanleaf.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

Edited by The_Centre (02/17/09 06:35 AM)

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #197113 - 02/18/09 02:18 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I figuered out the problem. I do have a water PH tester, but not a soil PH tester (found the water ph tester yesterday.) I tested my tap water, 9.0!!! Then I tested my reverse osmosis water (the filter is a little old.) and it tested 8.0, now, to fix it, I decided, I will take 500ml of water, and add a drop (like one drop.) of lemon juice and work my way up till I get to 6.0 (I want to fix my soil so I will make the water slightly too acidic for the first watering just to fix it, and then go to 6.5 from there on.) I ended up using 2 drops in 750ml of liquid to get it to that point (can't believe it.), and one drop is perfect 6.5.

From now on, I will always add a drop of lemon juice in my water (including drinking water.) to change it to slightly acidic.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies