Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemalbulja
Aerogarden Question
    #191032 - 01/31/09 04:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've been doing tons of reading over the last several days and I've consistently seen people diss the AeroGarden. For example, I recently read a post online where individuals claim that they can produce much higher yields from a traditional setup at half the cost of an AeroGarden.

I can get an AeroGarden from Amazon for $100 or less and when I read the beginners guides for standard grows, they all require elaborate lighting and ventilation systems and just the lights alone cost more than the AeroGarden.   

I just want to grow a tiny amount (1oz-2oz per year) for strict, limited personal use. Are there beginner guides for very low cost, starter hobbyists like me or should I just fore-go all the formal guides and buy the AeroGarden and some seeds and let the AeroGarden work its magic?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushroomluver
Re: Aerogarden Question [Re: malbulja]
    #191091 - 01/31/09 07:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

people diss it cause they dont have a fucking clue what they are doing or talking about. just get you 250 watt hps and clear some room in your closet.hell if all your wanting is that much just buy some high grade

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aerogarden Question [Re: mushroomluver]
    #191150 - 01/31/09 10:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I would be throughly surprised if you ever yield anything at all using an aerogarden. It is absolutely tiny first off, in size and lighting capacity. It is open, making it impossible to control photo period to induce flowering. To top it off, it has no way to control odor ensuring that if you do in fact manage to grow a plant into flower, you risk being caught in the process.

If price is a serious concern, you would be best off building or buying a small cabinet or tent, small 150w hps or 4-5 45w cfls, and some grow bags and soil. The total cost would be under 150$ and you would have a serious chance at producing enough for your modest needs.

Please don't let me discourage you. This hobby can be expensive but it is very rewarding. Just save the aerogarden for some garden herbs and grow some trees. :burnone:

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinemalbulja
Re: Aerogarden Question [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #191519 - 02/02/09 10:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
If price is a serious concern, you would be best off building or buying a small cabinet or tent, small 150w hps or 4-5 45w cfls, and some grow bags and soil. The total cost would be under 150$ and you would have a serious chance at producing enough for your modest needs.

Please don't let me discourage you. This hobby can be expensive but it is very rewarding. Just save the aerogarden for some garden herbs and grow some trees. :burnone:

Thanks, Dr. I'll pass on the aerogarden then. What are your thoughts about hanging a single 13w CFL (or perhaps 2) over a single plant? Could this produce adequate results? I don't want to have to invest in a ballast and HPS equipment for just 1 or 2 plants. The goal here is to become self-sufficient and rid myself of my current shady, untrustworthy marijuana source for good.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #191523 - 02/02/09 10:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

One 13w cfl won't be enough light. The lowest I could possibly suggest is two 45w CFLs (they cost about 9$). For the absolute budget minded, 3-4 long 'shop light' type florescent fixtures (the two bulb type)  lashed together at the top like a tepee can be used with a singular plant in the middle.

You can find these fixtures in numerous places for free or sale. Check around your house and garage, if you own them, and replace any floro fixtures you find with a .95$ screw-in socket and light bulb. If you can't find any shop lights lying around, walmart or a local hardware store will carry them for about 7$ apiece. You would be best off replacing the bulbs, half with cool type bulbs and half with warm or daylight type bulbs to maximize your spectrum but it's optional. One minor caveat; this system cannot regulate the photoperiod (length of time the plant receives light), so it will need to be in a location that is totally dark as any light will disrupt the flowering cycle of your plant.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinemalbulja
Re: Aerogarden Question [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #191535 - 02/02/09 11:54 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
One 13w cfl won't be enough light. The lowest I could possibly suggest is two 45w CFLs (they cost about 9$).

Hey, thanks again Doc. Seems a lot of people hate on CFLs but I think I'm going to try the 2 45w suggestion and hope that the potency and yield don't suffer due to using the CFLs. For my menial requirements, I think HID is overkill for 1 plant (but then I'm just starting to study up on lumines/watts and such :smile:).

Edited by malbulja (02/02/09 11:54 AM)

Offlinetonysoprano6379
    #191698 - 02/02/09 07:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Why buy an aerogarden.....
You can build your own, way better and way cheaper.
This pick was posted by a great grower on another site. all aero. using 2" net cups with neoprene sleeves, NO growing medium.
It's built using 1/2" pvc with EZ clone misting heads and a 396 gpm pump. I have built this, it works great..

Then cut the bottom out of another rubbermaid container mount some compact flouros in it with mylar and you have a self contained mini grow room should work perfect.

Offlinemrspirit
man with spirit
Loc: hithertither
Re: Aerogarden Question [Re: tonysoprano6379]
    #191836 - 02/03/09 10:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have used an aerogarden with great results BUT I never induce flowering with the aerogarden. I usually use it to start seeds, then transplant to soil after. Hasn't given me any problems. I actually wouldn't be surprised if you could flower with it.. Although it would be a bitch to get conditions right.

Stick with what the good Dr. says. My aerogarden has two 26w CFLs.

Offlinemalbulja
Re: Aerogarden Question [Re: mrspirit]
    #192904 - 02/06/09 12:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks guys! The hydro really interests me but I want to completely understand the horticulture before I bite off more than I can chew. I'm going to do a soil grow with a single lowryder or AK47 plant first and if all goes well then I'm going to research simple hydro setups.

I get a different answer to this question each time I ask people so I'll just run it by this community (sorry if this should go into a new thread; just let me know if I'm over-stepping here).

If I'm only growing a single plant and the light requirements are 2000 lumines per sq ft, then wouldn't a single 42w (2700) CFL which provides 2850 lumines be sufficient for the entire grow? A single plant is not more than a sq ft, right? So if this CFL was hung a few inches from the canopy, then it should certainly receive the 2000 lumines required. I picked up 2 42w CFLs just in case but I wonder what your thoughts are. I have been literally laughed at on other boards by even suggesting such a configuration.

Offlinemattyyy
    #192927 - 02/06/09 02:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

malbulja said:
Thanks guys! The hydro really interests me but I want to completely understand the horticulture before I bite off more than I can chew. I'm going to do a soil grow with a single lowryder or AK47 plant first and if all goes well then I'm going to research simple hydro setups.

I get a different answer to this question each time I ask people so I'll just run it by this community (sorry if this should go into a new thread; just let me know if I'm over-stepping here).

If I'm only growing a single plant and the light requirements are 2000 lumines per sq ft, then wouldn't a single 42w (2700) CFL which provides 2850 lumines be sufficient for the entire grow? A single plant is not more than a sq ft, right? So if this CFL was hung a few inches from the canopy, then it should certainly receive the 2000 lumines required. I picked up 2 42w CFLs just in case but I wonder what your thoughts are. I have been literally laughed at on other boards by even suggesting such a configuration.

You should be OK with those but I would pick up another 1 or 2 to be safe personally.

Offlinelqdtrance

Re: Aerogarden Question [Re: tonysoprano6379]
    #192964 - 02/06/09 04:49 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

tonysoprano6379 said:
Why buy an aerogarden.....
You can build your own, way better and way cheaper.
This pick was posted by a great grower on another site. all aero. using 2" net cups with neoprene sleeves, NO growing medium.
It's built using 1/2" pvc with EZ clone misting heads and a 396 gpm pump. I have built this, it works great..

Then cut the bottom out of another rubbermaid container mount some compact flouros in it with mylar and you have a self contained mini grow room should work perfect.

Is this from a related site? Care to share the link? I am interested in making something like this.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds