Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
On a routine inspection of plants i decided to take the one in a 4" pot out to inspect roots. I noticed a few little critters down there. A) Should i be worried? B) What should i do, if i should do something? Im not noticing spider mites or any other problems... only thing i seen was two lil black bugs in the dirt.
Well, while im thinking about it. What are thoughts on light and roots?
Im currently using 2-liters for some, and small square pots for others. Some of the two liters are growing algae, as well as some of the rockwool was growing it too. Is algae bad for roots and such? Just curious... thanks.
Algae isn't particularly bad for the roots per say, but it does compete with the plant a bit and can point to a larger problem. Make sure your roots are protected from light, if the roots are starting to turn green, the plant is trying to produce chlorophyll in the roots which isn't good. The sides of your pots should ideally be black/opaque next time. As far as algae on the rockwool goes, it's kind of inevitable in my experience, rockwool holds a lot of moisture, perfect for algae and molds to start. I switched to rapid rooter cubes for exactly this reason.