Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblecoda

Re: thurrrsday [Re: Picklez]
    #144345 - 11/13/08 10:40 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

nothing in there really related to the language.  Vb.net 08 is a development studio which is a resource hog.  So every time i boot my laptop it takes fucking forever before i can do anything in the system.  SQL server 05 is a DBMS.  I'm writing an application in vb.net that interfaces with a database for a homework assignment as well as a project for my graduate school.

I was trying to install SQL Server 05 on my laptop so that i could run my program on it (since at the time i didn't have the VPN access to my schools instance) to get some help from my DB professor on the assignment.  However, vista and SQL 05 HATE each other, and try as i might i just couldn't get it to run.  I'm sure if i spent more time on it i could configure it properly, but it's not necessary now because i was granted VPN access to my schools server.

Have fun in the VB class, i really enjoy programming and it's a pretty easy language to learn at the basic level.  I wish my school had more advanced classes, but i have to make do with what they offer.  I'm going into java next semester and I picked up basic ABAP programming this semester.  I'm gonna look into the community school and see if they offer PHP and ASP so i can round off my programming knowledge.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: thurrrsday [Re: coda]
    #144348 - 11/13/08 10:43 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

What class is all of that for now? Right now I am just in the basic computer systems class but I am thinking about pursuing some more courses in that field since it is an area that I enjoy or at least feel comfortable with

Invisiblecoda

#144350 - 11/13/08 10:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well, the class is called centralized data systems.  However, it's just a fancy misnomer for database 101 (well, more like 401).  It's a pretty heavy class, but then again, database work in itself is pretty heavy.  A skilled DBA can make over 120K per year easily, it takes years before you can get to that level, but it's a field that will always need people.  It's pretty hard to be a big corporation these days and not run a database.

Also, if you can, try and take some SAP classes if your school offers them.  Most likely your school wont, but, if they do have access to it try and get in.  Average salary for people in the field i'm entering is 100k per year.  I'm minoring in SAP and a lot of companies are dying for fresh blood in this area.  I just interviewed with Tyson to do work on their business intelligence team, they seemed pretty interested and three of the people who interviewed me went through the same classes i've just finished up.  So they already know what my level of knowledge is.  I'm hoping to god i get it, cuz im broke, and i could really use a leg up that the job would offer.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #144352 - 11/13/08 11:01 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

That sounds like it would be a really good job! What exactly is SAP? Im pretty sure my school would offer it, I go to a pretty large university

My major is accounting so I dont want to get too far off my course. But this stuff is definitely interesting to me, perhaps next semester

Invisiblecoda

#144353 - 11/13/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

SAP is what's known as an enterprise resource program(ERP).  What ERP's do is integrates all of the businesses functions into one program.  So, your production system is tied in with your order system which is tied in with your finance system.  That's a pretty basic answer to an extremely complex program.  The reason i say I doubt your school offers it is because I know for a fact that very very few schools offer this type of class.  In fact, if you do have a course or two in it, chances are the materials came from my university and you're sharing the server we have.  Our current SAP setup (including the IBM Z server we have) runs at $25 million.  This is info i just learned about this year, this is also why it's a great field to get into.  Unlike other programming languages, and system classes, SAP cannot be learned on your own.  If you don't have access to an SAP server, you cannot teach it yourself.  Also, you can't run and SAP server on just any normal desktop.  So you're pretty limited in learning how to use the system.

Look into it though, if your U has it, find out what you need to do to get in.  If you can learn enough to get up to learning ABAP, you will look unbelievably good to major companies.  A good friend of mine was hired by deloitte and touche right out of school with the same SAP knowledge I have.  He currently makes 130K per year.  So, needless to say, if you do well in school and have this type of knowledge you'll have a good chance at making six figures with just a bachelors.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #144355 - 11/13/08 11:12 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for sharing the information with me, in that case my school probably doesnt have such a class. I am also minoring in Chemistry so I have my plate quite full. I wonder if I can declare 2 minors or if it is even worth it

I will look at some of the next level classes I should take after my basic CIS class

Invisiblecoda

#144356 - 11/13/08 12:01 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If i were you i'd definitely look into taking at least one or two programming classes, a database class, and a web development course or two.  If your school offers it, it wouldn't hurt to have a mainframe computing class under your belt as well.

The best way to look at it is not only what you want to do, but what skills will i need to work in the environment i desire.  Since i, personally, want to work for a large corp before doing anything else (and because my major is designed this way), i learned how to use applications, concepts, and practices in use by most of the major corps out there.  So while i have an extensive technical background, i also know enough to become a manager if i so choose.

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
Growing time!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #144366 - 11/13/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i cant wait until my friend gets some weed, any day now. Time to finish my vodka mixers.

--------------------
this is so fucking exiting..:yesnod:

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: thurrrsday [Re: Skunk420]
    #144371 - 11/13/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Just got out of my class for the day and just packed up a bowl. Time to get blown

:bongload:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Re: thurrrsday [Re: 0xYg3n]
    #144377 - 11/13/08 03:01 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

DAMN CLASS and DAMN WORK............

--------------------
:getstoned:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order