Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemacarra
 User Gallery
New Grower needs HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #133073 - 10/16/08 05:30 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hi To all!
This is my first post, so be kind:-^
I did a lot of reading prior to starting this venture, I ordered good seeds from BC seeds and bought both MPS and HPS lights and a ballast. I also have ordered a grow tent and my intention is to move the plants to the tent in the basement when ready to flower and need 12/12 light-dark.
I got the seeds on 10/4-soaked them in distilled water for 12 hours and then put them between soaked papers towels, sandwiched between 2 plates. I bought 30 seeds and soaked 8-what I figured is probably the  maximum for the 4x4 tent I bought.
6 sprouted overnight! I was thrilled!!I planted them in those pellets that you water and they swell up and you put the seed in the middle. Since pot plants seem to be sensitive to any kind of handling, I thought these would work well to plant directly into the pot.I put them about 24" under the MPS lights(400).It is confusing watching the growth, as I bought 3 types of seeds and they came mixed together so I have no idea which seed is which plant!! But what seemed to be going strong, is fading.
After they had a set of leaves, I planted them in 6 inch pots. Organic potting soil. Distilled water.
One plant seems to be doing well. The second is smaller, but seem healthy-just small, but maybe that is the type? The third looks like it is dying-ends are curling-it has a long stem and is falling over?? I thought maybe the light was too hot, so I moved it more to the edge? It is moist soil, though I believe I read higher humidity would be best in the early stages and my humidity is running 45 to 55%. GOD< those lights are REALLY hot!! I have this all set up in the spare bedroom and I have them on a table in the closet with the doors open and a box fan about 5 feet away, blowing all the time and the ceiling fan blowing as well. The temp is ranging up to low 90's though most of them time during the day it is low to mid 80's, and drops below 80 at night.
I have ordered a timer, so should I just turn off the lights for 6 hours until it comes. RIght now they are on 24 hours a day.
Do you think it is the heat, though I can't figure out why one is great, 2 is okay and three is fading?? Oh, four is a single stalk, with no leaves?? The last 2 have not come back since I planted them in the pots? SO, what am I doing wrong???
Next time, should I not use those pellets to start them? Should I plant them directly into the 6 inch pots or do I need to start with something smaller?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try to post 4 different pics of the four plants that are doing anything.
Look forward to making some growing pals!
Thanks!
Carol
PS. I cannot figure out how to attach the pics to this post. I have uploaded them under "macarra" in S Carolina in the gallery and anyone could take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong!

Edited by macarra (10/16/08 05:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimpgl

Re: New Grower needs HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: macarra]
    #133089 - 10/16/08 05:47 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

you NEED exhaust! get a huge inline fan and a smaller intake. make sure too exhaust somewhere to somewhere outside. its too hot in there.

--------------------

Offlinemacarra
 User Gallery
    #133154 - 10/16/08 06:54 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I wondered, but this is a closet, with sliding doors. They are open...I moved the box fan(is that an in line fan??) into the door way so it blows over the tops of the plants and sort of out the other side.
I know I need something better......especially for the tent. What kind of fans can I use that do not require hard wiring?? Should I turn off the lights for 6 hours at this point, to help cool things down?
Thanks!

Offlineimpgl

#133415 - 10/17/08 01:05 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

box fan isnt an inline fan. check out ellicent fans. pricey, but you get what you pay for.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Grower needs HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: impgl]
    #134706 - 10/20/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

too much heat, possibly your light is too strong for seedlings.  I like to get seedlings started under a fluro and then move them up to my HID's, but it is possible to start them out under an HID setup.

1.) get your temps under control, sounds like you need to get a ventilated hood and exhaust the hot air somewhere

2.) move the lights up even further, then gradually move it closer as the plant begins sprouting true leaves

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinejerimha
stoner
Male

Loc: colorado Flag
    #789592 - 08/14/15 01:54 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

in my limited expireance when I have young plants especialy if their are not doing well I will put them in the shade cause I grow outside sometimes the sun is to intense so you might try moving them out of the closet till they get established eather way I would turn the lights off for the 6 hours cause they seem to do a lot of their growing at night

--------------------
I am he that lives and has no life I am the undead

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder