Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow
    #104332 - 08/06/08 12:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

my closet grow consists of two soil plants and a 2'x2' ebb flow table.  I'm trying to figure out where to draw my fresh air from and where to blow the hot air out when i start using my 400w HPS.  here's a photo

the red box is my grow area.  i cant keep the closet doors open, and i cant route any ducting into my roommate's bathroom.  i'm thinking i could cut a hole straight through the back wall of the closet and into the living room because that living room wall is covered in bamboo curtains.  i could put a normal ac vent cover and the bamboo curtains would hide that enough that nobody would really notice.  would this be my best bet?  the only A/C in the house is a bigass window mount type unit mounted in the wall next too the entry.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChronicbs

Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: yellownotepad]
    #104461 - 08/06/08 02:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds fine venting it into the living room but venting into crawl spaces in the attic or basement is a good idea if you don't want the extra heat in the house.

The fresh air should be drawn from under the door of the closet automatically because of the pressure difference from you pumping air out.

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory
Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: Chronicbs]
    #104491 - 08/06/08 02:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Off topic but using an ebb and flow table for soil plants is pointless.  1, you'll water log your root system by over watering.  2, soil particles will block up your pumps plumbing and drippers in a few days. 

if you're using soil, just use pots and a watering can.

--------------------
Coaster Said:  "wut do u post bout flumbooyon"

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: Hanky]
    #104584 - 08/06/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

you read that wrong.  i have an ebb flow table for my hydro plants which are in rockwool.  in addition to that, i have two potted plants sitting next to hte hydro system.  i'm not THAT dumb lol

and im worried about just into the wall core because im in an apartment on the first floor.  it has to go somewhere, and if not my living room, what if someone notices something odd in their walls (heat / smell) that could be bad.  can i just straight up cut holes in the drywall on each side of the wall to make a vent?

OfflineChronicbs

Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: yellownotepad]
    #104670 - 08/06/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
can i just straight up cut holes in the drywall on each side of the wall to make a vent?

Sounds like what you would have to do, living in an apartment means no venting up or down. Make sure a stud isn't in the way. Also I'm sure the landlord wont like this, do you get inspected at all?  Make sure to patch it using the circle you cut out when you move.  Also I would make the vent low to the ground so its less noticeable.

Invisiblelegallyhomeless

Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: Chronicbs]
    #105610 - 08/07/08 03:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

WOAH, way to gang my OUTDOOR thread about tying plants down... I didnt see either one of thoes mentioned in your post. Try using the "Post Thread" button next time  :shrug:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #105616 - 08/07/08 04:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What the fuck are you talking about?

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #105739 - 08/07/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

you on crack brah?

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory
    #106626 - 08/09/08 10:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

"can i just straight up cut holes in the drywall on each side of the wall to make a vent?"

Yes.

--------------------
Coaster Said:  "wut do u post bout flumbooyon"

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: Hanky]
    #106629 - 08/09/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i just want to point out that if you're renting your place, cutting your drywall is going to cost you in terms of repair when you decide to leave.  Unless you know someone who does drywall that can cut you a deal.  Drywall repairs are not cheap and your apt company will rape the shit out of you come walk through time when you move out.

Just fyi.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: coda]
    #106673 - 08/09/08 12:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i've done a decent amount of handyman type stuff with various houses my dad has had, i think i could handle a simple two hole drywall repair myself.  i did some reading online about repairing holes from punching a wall and it seemed simple enough to handle as long as i can get the orange peel matched right...

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #106742 - 08/09/08 02:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
i've done a decent amount of handyman type stuff with various houses my dad has had, i think i could handle a simple two hole drywall repair myself.  i did some reading online about repairing holes from punching a wall and it seemed simple enough to handle as long as i can get the orange peel matched right...

Yeah, I was going to mention that it isn't so hard to repair drywall. Just take a lot of time to make sure it isn't too visible.

--------------------

OfflineGROWEED
Crack Smokin' Hoe-bags
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: []v[] i C H I G A []\[]
    #107047 - 08/10/08 09:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You need to research into this allot before you go cutting holes in the drywall. You have a few options like building a box over a window lined with felt with a few other mods.

--------------------
Post is for ornamental use only.
10 centimeters = 3.93700787 inches

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: what to do about intake and exhaust routing for this closet grow [Re: GROWEED]
    #109165 - 08/14/08 03:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i soldmy 400w hps so now im figuring out what to do for light for the flowering section.  for a 2'x2' ebb flow system, would 150w HPS get me a couple ounces or would i need 250w?  and how much heat would i be looking at with these smaller ones?  im still trying to avoid cutting holes in the wall :-(

Offlinedave_the_stoner
Pot head
Male

Loc: Somewhere
    #109296 - 08/14/08 09:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What does the front of your closet look like? You may be able to seal off the opening, and add 2 holes for intake and exhaust. From there you could run some dryer ducting to a nearby window. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but it could work.

--------------------
"What me worry".-Alfred E. Newman

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds