Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Doing my first SoG in Solo cups
    #745306 - 08/26/14 02:40 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Ive grown a few plants in Solo cups but this will be my first attempt at a larger scale grow with them.

I have 18 clones rooted and planted in green 16oz Solo cups using coco coir/perlite as my growing medium. The strain is an Indica dominant, Afghan Kush x Yumboldt. Its going to be a lot of work since Im using coco, Im going to have to feed/water just about every day.

Anyone have any experience with this type of grow and if so any tips or suggestions? Do I need to cover the cups with anything so light wont go through to the roots? About how tall should I let them get before switching to flower?

--------------------
:firecum:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #745309 - 08/26/14 02:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: bEelzeBosS] * 2
    #745330 - 08/26/14 06:32 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, I kind of know a little about it.

Soil version

Hydro in lava rocks

I've never done them in coir though. I can't stress enough just how much I hate coco coir. I have no good reason for this cause the few grows I've done with it turned out well. :shrug:

When you cut the lights back depends on strain. Strains that stretch you need to flower right away indicas you need to give time or do a bunch of these.
:wexican:

:happyweed:

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: Magash]
    #745346 - 08/27/14 01:27 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Should be cool man... you shouldn't have a light to roots issue...
The only thing you will have is constant need for watering...but... with the constant fluctuations of wet/dry, your plants will be getting some major work done...

Cheers

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #745347 - 08/27/14 01:29 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

& magash holy moly... that's some major cup weight brutha

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: Magash]
    #745354 - 08/27/14 08:33 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

I've never done them in coir though. I can't stress enough just how much I hate coco coir. I have no good reason for this cause the few grows I've done with it turned out well. :shrug:

It is a lot more work for sure, but Im having better results with it than I did FFOF. Plants have been growing faster and Ive been getting bigger yields, not to mention it took switching to coco to finally completely eradicate my fungus gnat problem.

I sure do miss not having to babysit my plants though. Its even more work for me than most because I hand feed/water...I just dont have the room for an irrigation system.

--------------------

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #745355 - 08/27/14 09:16 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Putting boiling water in your soil prior to use will kill all the fungus gnat eggs but you do lose some benifical fungai doing this.

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #745356 - 08/27/14 09:29 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
Putting boiling water in your soil prior to use will kill all the fungus gnat eggs but you do lose some benifical fungai doing this.

Ive tried this before probably from your recommendation in another post because Im pretty sure I read it here but it didnt work. I dont know if they're coming in from outside or what but they dont seem to care for the coco at all.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#745359 - 08/27/14 10:59 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Good shit. I've never done that, and am still learning, but I'd say go by the node growth and just put them into 12/12 when they have a few axillary/lateral buds.

BTW I just found that a certain less mainstream site has pint, quart and 2 quart root pouch fabric planters from 30-45 cents each or $12-$17 for 50 and 8$ shipping on most orders. I'm sure it doesn't matter too much, especially for SOG, but a lot of people heavily praise the benefits of fabric planters, and I'm curious if they'd work out better than cups for this kind of SOG grow.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #745361 - 08/27/14 12:14 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

One gallon bags are perfect for SOG. You can fit 4 per sq ft.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #745366 - 08/27/14 01:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:

BTW I just found that a certain less mainstream site has pint, quart and 2 quart root pouch fabric planters from 30-45 cents each or $12-$17 for 50 and 8$ shipping on most orders. I'm sure it doesn't matter too much, especially for SOG, but a lot of people heavily praise the benefits of fabric planters, and I'm curious if they'd work out better than cups for this kind of SOG grow.

Love fabric pots, those 2 bigger plants in the middle of my pic are in fabric. I just dont have the room for them for a SoG grow...Im growing in a 5ft x 10ft walk-in closet that's divided in half for veg/flower, its cramped to say the least. If they made fabric pots the size of solo cups I'd be all over that.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#745373 - 08/27/14 02:27 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yea I think I'd go with the gallons if I ever did SOG. Though I might get some of these tiny fabric pots for germination. Pretty cheap at 40-50 cents each after shipping when you get a 50 pack of 1pint - 2 quart. greenhouse megastores ftw...

anyway goodluck on getting some good buds!

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #745374 - 08/27/14 02:37 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:

Pasteurize it at 165 for 1hr...

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Doing my first SoG in Solo cups [Re: oeric mckenna] * 1
    #748470 - 09/16/14 04:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Just wanted to share progress, put these into flower a couple days ago...they're doing great so far, looking forward to some huge colas. Love this strain.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag