Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :(
    #257267 - 07/29/09 04:14 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?  SEED.

2. How old are your plants? ABOUT A MONTH

3. How tall are your plants? ABOUT 2 FEET TALL.

4. What size containers are they planted in?  3 GALLON CONTAINERS. MAINLY.  ONE IS LESS THAN A GALLON AND ABOUT TO BE TRANSPLANTED. I MIGHT NOTE THAT THE LESS THAN GALLON PLANT IS ONE OF THE 2 THATS SICK. ID SAY ITS ABOUT HALF GALLON.

5. What is your soil mix? STARTED WITH MIRACLE GROW WITH A HIGH NITRO CONTENT. SINCE HAVE TRANSPLANTED TO NON ENRICHED POTTING SOIL WITH OWN NUTES.

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? I WATER WHEN THE SOIL IS DRY ABOUT AN INCH OR MORE DOWN AND THE POT FEELS REALLY LIGHT.

7. What is the pH of your water? UNKNOWN.  NO PH TESTER. I HAVE GONE ALL AROUND TOWN LOOKING FOR PH STRIPS. I USE DISTILLED WATER NOW.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? SOIL I STARTED WITH AND HAD FOR ALMOST A MONTH WAS MIRACLE GROW 3 MONTH MIX, TRANSPLANTED TO UNFERTILIZED POTTING SOIL. LET GO A LITTLE WHILE WITHOUT NUTES AS I KNOW THE MIRACLE GROW SOIL IS STILL BUNDLED IN THE ROOTS GIVING NUTES.  I JUST FED THEM THE FIRST 1/4 STRENGTH BLOOMING NUTES YESTERDAY. SOIL RATIO WAS 0.21% N, 0.07 PHOSPHATE, AND 0.14% POT ASH.  NUTE SOLUTION I NOW FEED IS 15%N, 30% PHOSPHATE, 15% POTASH.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?  EVERY NOW AND THEN I'LL SPRAY ALL THE LEAVES WITH WATER AND MOVE THE LIGHTS AWAY A BIT SO I DONT BURN THEM.

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")I HAVE FOUR 100W EQUIV CFL'S AND A 24 INCH FLURO "GROW LIGHT" ON THE BOTTOM SHINING UP TO GIVE THE BOTTOM OF THE PLANTS LIGHT.  THIS TOTALS AROUND 8000 LUMENS.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?  IT VARIES.  ON AVERAGE THEY ARE ABOUT 3-6 INCHES. 

12. What size is your grow space in square feet? HMM.  PROBABLY 3X3 WITH UNLIMITED VERTICAL POTENTIAL.

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? TEMP IS FINE, AROUND 70-75, HUMIDITY, I DUNNO. MY ONLY GAUGE IS IN MY SHROOM'S FRUITING CHAMBER.

14. What is the pH of the soil?  NO WAY TO FIND PH TEST STRIPS. IM SO SORRY :frown:

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?  A COUPLE OF ANTS ON THE WALLS,  AND SOME FRUIT FLIES EARLIER IN THE GROW CYCLE.  HAVENT SEEN THEM FOR A WHILE..  I HAVE FLY STRIPS HUNG UP AROUND THE PLANTS, AND A LAYER OF PERLITE OVER THE SOIL TO HOPEFULLY KEEP THEM OUT.

16. How much experience do you have growing? GREW UP HELPING MY GRANDMOTHER GROW HER VEGETABLE AND HERB GARDEN.  I GROW SHROOMS A LOT TOO. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME GROWING CANNABIS, BUT IM NOT A NOOB AT GROWING.

I MIGHT ALSO ADD, SINCE THE QUESTIONAIRE DIDNT COVER IT, I HAVE TWO FANS IN THE GROW ROOM GIVING SOME GREAT AIRFLOW, NOT DIRECTLY AIMED ON THE PLANTS BUT ENOUGH THE PLANTS AND LEAVES WILL SWAY SLIGHTLY WITH THE AIRFLOW.  LIKE A VERY GENTLE BREEZE IN THE WILD.

Hey again growery.  sorry for all the caps in the questionaire. was trying to make it easier to discern between question and answer, not trying to yell. lol.  anyway, ive noticed for a while that the leaves were turning yellow, a lot of times between the margains and a lot of times just all over.  Its hard to see just how bad some of the leaves look as my camera doesnt do well with 2700k light. white balance is off. but if you compare to leaves around them from other plants, you can see the difference.  the stems near the affected areas are purple/red, and the splotches are brown/black/red.  i really cannot tell you the PH as i have been all around town trying to find ph testing strips and cant. the ones i did find were $30 and they were for fish tanks that tested a bunch of other stuff and i couldnt afford them.  Is there any way you could help me figure out what is wrong with my girls?  i want to clear this up before i switch to flowering.  they have all shown sex, all are female, if that makes any difference.  I included a top-down view of one of my healthy plants to take some of the horror away :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :( [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #257316 - 07/29/09 05:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Kinda looks like mites on the leaves? I blew up the pictures and can see tiny itty bitty little white specks. But you somehow need to get the PH tested. Order online or something. It possibly is a 2 part problem. Mites and ph. Mites eating the surface layer of the leaf, giving them the brown spots and ph causing the yellowing of the leaves.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :( [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #257323 - 07/29/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

alright check it.. while i was writing the post i realized hey, one of my plants may be sick because it might be rootbound.  transplanted into a larger pot,  took pics of the root system.  does the root system look healthy?

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Kinda looks like mites on the leaves? I blew up the pictures and can see tiny itty bitty little white specks. But you somehow need to get the PH tested. Order online or something. It possibly is a 2 part problem. Mites and ph. Mites eating the surface layer of the leaf, giving them the brown spots and ph causing the yellowing of the leaves.

took some pics of the leaves closeup in different lighting conditions for you.  I heard with mites you can hold a leaf up to a light and look through it from the underside, and see mites inside the leaf.  i didnt see anything that looked alive or that once was alive inside the leaf, except the leaf itself lol.  got a magnifying glass on the leaf and everything.  I dont know how accurate what i heard was, as i've never had to deal with mites before.  but it was worth a shot to look anyway

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/29/09 05:25 PM)

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :( [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #257332 - 07/29/09 05:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It was definately time for a bigger pot! Roots looked fine.

But i would for sure say it looks like a mite infestation! Can u get clearer images of these 2? I want to see the messed up part of them leaves a little better.

--------------------

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

#257340 - 07/29/09 05:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

well miracle grow is never good but how long have they been in potting soil and what product are you using for feeding. miracle grow tends to be too strong to grow pot with and some of those leaves looks like the result from over fertilizing or over watering. also have you checked bottoms of leaves for spider mites? i found a meter at walmart for 10 bucks that does ph moisture and light for soil, it is green with two 8inch metal prongs sticking out of the bottom in the garden center...
heres a link to a decent diagnosis guide maybe it will help you
http://www.marijuana-seeds.net/Thanks-ThankYou.htm

and heres a pic of the tester product similar to the one i found at walmart
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/handsun/product-detailBQxnWrmomJYC/China-3-In-1-Soil-Tester-Mpl-330-With-Moisture-Ph-Light-Testing-Function.html

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

Re: unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :( [Re: supersiege]
    #257345 - 07/29/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

ive had spider mites b4 and you can see them, they are just little tiny blk specs to the naked eye you probably wont see them move around too much if your holding the leaf also small webs are a tell tale sign.... i cured mine with some black flag lol, may not be the best for them but it didnt harm the plants and fucked them spiders good

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :( [Re: supersiege]
    #257365 - 07/29/09 06:44 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

alright my camera's battery died.. so i just said fuck it and pulled out the scanner.  got a high res scan of the affected leaves.  since it was only a few of them, i just cut them off with a razor blade to avoid further infestation if it is mites.  so here ya go.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9849/leavese.jpg

huge scan of the leaves.  sorry, no thumbnail. not really a need for one so i just gave the direct link to the image.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #257368 - 07/29/09 07:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, the scan of the backside of that leaf almost looked like it had fungal growth in the brown spots. I can't blow it up enough to really tell for sure. But that top face side scan i am still seeing the white specks which has to be mites of some sort. I see a few scattered through out all the leaf parts and one of the stems u have scanned. Describe what you see on the back side in the brown spots does it look like mold or have a webby look to it?

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :( [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #257394 - 07/29/09 09:27 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

well i dont see anything that looks like webs. i dont think its fungal growth because i know my humidity isnt very high and i have great airflow.  but i can tell you that now that the leaf is wilted and limp, the dark spots havent gone limp.  theyre now like little dark balls on the leaves with white dots in the center.  on the underside of the leafs, the dark spots are intented.  pretty much what im trying to say is theyre all sticking up from the surface of the leaf leaving pockmarks and craters on the underside.  some are cratered on the top and leave raised areas on the underside, and vice versa.

I hope im getting across what im trying to say right.  im high lol.  the spots are slightly stiffer, but not hard, i can squeeze them and they will collapse back to smooth, then when i let up they go back to how they usually are.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #257532 - 07/30/09 12:28 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

weird man...I suggest going here I will be looking there as well and will tell ya what I think it might be. If you have the same feeling as me then thats probably what it is.

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :( [Re: Triptonic]
    #260053 - 08/05/09 11:53 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

nutrient burns can also show as white or grey looking spots on leaves. Thats also a good guess. If you see no mites or signs of mites, you might want to try a soil flush and re-feed with half of your normal strength nutrients. Do you maintain your ph?

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: unknown condition - yellowing leaves, purple stems, ugly spots on leaves. please help :( [Re: Integra21]
    #262948 - 08/10/09 07:23 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

okay... so i thought whatever problem i had was under control.  all my plants were fine last night before i went to bed.  when i woke up, i found my best plant curled and shriveled up, turning broown in the middle of the leaves in some places.  other places the leaves are taco'ing downward, upward, or twisting and curling upwards and downwards.  this is really worrying me, and i cant for the life of me find an image in the deficency example or something that matches in the plant problem solver.  here are some pics:

please help, i have no idea what to do.  All of my other plants are fine,  it is just this one (unfortunately).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order