Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletravelleler
New and used cannabis seeds!!!

How-To "Rodelization: Soma's way to female seeds"
    #215946 - 04/15/09 12:49 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

For all you interested in learning more about cannabis husbandry here's a fantastic short article of interest gleaned from High-Times:

http://hightimes.com/grow/soma/622

RODELIZATION: SOMA'S WAY TO FEMALE SEEDS
Here’s an easy, environmentally friendly method for breeding feminized seeds.
by SOMA

Wed, Jul 30, 2003 12:00 am
more: grow articles, soma, breeding, seed company, strains

Story by Soma Creating feminized cannabis seeds is an art. Just like art, there are a few different methods of application. I have written about some of my different methods of making seeds in previous HIGH TIMES articles. I have used gibberellic acid, pH stress, light stress, and fertilizer stress to force my female plants to make seeds. All of these methods are harsh on the plants, and some, like the gibberellic acid, are not organic. In my search for cleaner, more earth-friendly ways of working with the cannabis plant, I have found a new way to make feminized seeds. Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, rather than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher pH, some a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like much less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can’t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown the same strains for close to a decade, and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making seeds and in learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method "Rodelization," after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plants in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male "bananas." A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built-in safety factor so that in case of severe conditions, the plant can make sure the species is furthered.

To me, a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male-banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop, or at the very least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emergency devices out. I call them "emergency devices" because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plants 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed, and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one or two months and still remain potent.

For the next phase, you need to have a separate crop that’s already 2 1/2 weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bags of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut all the fans in the growroom down. Then take a very fine paintbrush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with up to 10 different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time (two crops), but is completely organic, and lets you have great-quality smoke at the same time you make your female seeds. If you’re one of those growers who’s never grown seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross-pollinating. The older females with the male bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, unpollinated females after they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later, you will have ripe 100% feminized seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from ThSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: Drop seeds not bombs.

--------------------
So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

Pour that on your granola and eat it, you zombie pinko bastards!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: How-To "Rodelization: Soma's way to female seeds" [Re: travelleler]
    #215950 - 04/15/09 01:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

cool technique.  i have seen these female bananas before on a late harvest.

thanks for the article :thumbup:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How-To "Rodelization: Soma's way to female seeds" [Re: Yrat]
    #215953 - 04/15/09 01:39 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Good post, I'm excited to try this sometime

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: How-To "Rodelization: Soma's way to female seeds" [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #216208 - 04/16/09 09:06 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm curious as to the potency of the seeds from a F1. To me, thats always been a problem. Its stopped me from going with certain strains in the past.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Invisibletravelleler

Re: How-To "Rodelization: Soma's way to female seeds" [Re: ethnoguy]
    #216445 - 04/16/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

F1??  aren't all hybrids F1 at some point??  So are all female seeds F1 or only inbred females?

I suppose to get female seeds that aren't F1 you['d need female pollen from a parent plant no?

--------------------
So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #216449 - 04/16/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

all F1 means is that it's the first generation of offspring after two parents mate.

it's been awhile since Mendelian genetics for me, but I don't remember F1 and F2 being that complicated of theories.....

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#216487 - 04/16/09 10:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I know what F1 is lol. My point is that the seeds generated by 2 F1's of the same strain tend to be poor representatives of there parents.

Does that make more sense. I guess I could get out J Cervantes bible and quote it, but I am slow at copying text lol. I'll do it though.......

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How-To "Rodelization: Soma's way to female seeds" [Re: ethnoguy]
    #216502 - 04/16/09 10:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

oh yeah, I totally misunderstood what you said.

In this new light, I completely agree with you. by the time you're into the second and third generation the original genetics have been highly scattered and mixed.

--------------------

Invisibletravelleler

#216865 - 04/17/09 04:56 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I mean if you get 'feminized' pollen sacks from a donor plant and then impregnate a fertile girl plant--- then all your 'feminized' seed offspring would then be F1  UNLESS the feminized pollen sacks were successfully back-bred onto a parent plant---- 

am I getting this right??

this would be another excellent write-up for "breeder's corner"  IMO

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #216867 - 04/17/09 05:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

unless the pollen came from a genetic clone of the fertile female. In that case the offspring would all be feminized seeds of nearly the exact same genetic makeup. I believe random mutations would still occur, but with considerably less frequency/intensity due to the lower number of contributing basepair opportunities

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#216965 - 04/17/09 09:52 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

travelleler said:
I mean if you get 'feminized' pollen sacks from a donor plant and then impregnate a fertile girl plant--- then all your 'feminized' seed offspring would then be F1  UNLESS the feminized pollen sacks were successfully back-bred onto a parent plant---- 

am I getting this right??

this would be another excellent write-up for "breeder's corner"  IMO

If the parent were two different strains you would have F1 seeds. Thats pretty much it.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies