Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Harvesting question
    #9250 - 04/22/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

If I get a female to the flowering stage. Can I just cut the buds off and leave the plant alone.

Then start the process over again?

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Harvesting question [Re: niteowl]
    #9349 - 04/22/08 08:41 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Nope. You can veg a marijuana plant forever, theoretically but once she flowers its the end of her life cycle and she's going to die. Would be sweet to just cut off the buds though.

Offlinederx
M.E.M.P.H.I.S.

Re: Harvesting question [Re: Evan]
    #9451 - 04/22/08 09:18 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Evan said:
Nope. You can veg a marijuana plant forever, theoretically but once she flowers its the end of her life cycle and she's going to die. Would be sweet to just cut off the buds though.

And you have experience growing bud, dont you?

Here starts the spread of misinformation on cannabis cultivation!

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Edited by derx (04/22/08 09:24 PM)

Offlinederx
M.E.M.P.H.I.S.

Re: Harvesting question [Re: derx]
    #9472 - 04/22/08 09:24 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Harvesting question [Re: derx]
    #10063 - 04/23/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks derx

" CANNABIS REGENERATION

It is possible to harvest plants and then rejuvenate them vegetatively for a 2nd and even 3rd harvest. A second harvest can be realized in as little as 6-8 weeks. Since the plant stalk, and roots are already formed, the plant can produce a second, even third harvest of buds in a little more than half the time of the original harvest. When harvesting, take off the top 1/3rd of the plant. Leave most healthy fan leaves in the middle of the plant, cutting buds off branches carefully. On the lower 1/3rd of the plant, take off end flowers, but leave several small flowers on each branch. These will be the part of the plant that is regenerated. The more buds you leave on the plant, the faster it will regenerate. Feed the plant some Miracle Grow or any high nitrogen plant food immediately after harvest. When you intend to regenerate a plant, make sure it never gets too starved for nitrogen as it is maturing, or all the sun leaves will fall off, and your plant will not have enough leaves to live after being harvested.

Harvested plants can come inside for rejuvenation under continuous light or are left outside in Summer to rejuvenate in the natural long days. It will take 7-14 days to see signs of new growth when regenerating a plant. As stated before, and in contrast to normal growth patterns, lower branches will be the first to sprout new vegetative growth. Allow the plant to grow a little vegetatively, then take outside again to reflower. Or keep inside for vegetative cuttings. You now have two or three generations of plants growing, and will need more space outside. But you will now be harvesting twice as often. As often as every 30 days, since you have new clones or seedlings growing, vegetative plants ready to flower, and regenerated plants flowering too.

Regenerating indoors can create problems if your plants are infected with pests. It may be best to have a separate area indoors that will not allow your plants to infect the main indoor area. An alternative to regenerating indoors is to regenerate outdoors in the Summer. Just take a harvest in June, then allow the plant to regenerate by leaving some lower buds on the plant, and leaving the middle 1/3rd of the plant leaves at harvest. Feed it nitrogen, and make sure it gets lots of sun. It will regenerate all Summer and be quite large by Fall, when it will start to flower again naturally."

I thought it was something like that.

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Harvesting question [Re: niteowl]
    #10385 - 04/23/08 12:11 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

derx said:
Quote:

Evan said:

And you have experience growing bud, dont you?

Here starts the spread of misinformation on cannabis cultivation! 

Calm down buddy, what I said wasn't misinformation. He asked if you could just snip the buds and leave the plant alone.If you do this the plant will die because they are annuals and its the end of their life cycle.

Regeneration is possible but hardly worth it.

The stress of this on the plant isn't worht it and is time consuming. It is cool no doubt, but not practical. We are talking about giving the plant nitrogen and changing the photoperiod back to veg. I've done this before with a strain that triggered too early when I put it outdoors in early June and I had to reveg it under 24 lights and with lots of nitrogen. It took a couple weeks to get it back to normal and the end result was nowhere near as good as the others which didn't trigger first due to the stress and just the plant being confused on what its supposed to do. There is also a pretty big risk of hermaphroditing the plants doing this, not to mention reduced yield do to stress. Also if you were doing this indoors your plants would be too tall the second time. Still don't know if its worth it considering its pretty easy to just veg some clones for 2 weeks or so, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

The following made no sense to me though:

"But you will now be harvesting twice as often. As often as every 30 days, since you have new clones or seedlings growing, vegetative plants ready to flower, and regenerated plants flowering too."

For me it can't get any faster than harvesting and having vegged girls ready to go into flowering immediately. :shrug:  I don't understand the logic of that statement. It doesn't get any faster than having a room flowering year round?

On the plus side though if you are a medical grower and you are growing your legal limit you won't have to go over your legal limit by making/purchasing clones. But if you can buy clones it makes more sense to toss your plants after harvest and just buy new clones if you are going to spend 2 weeks after harvest vegging anyway. Very interesting. Another plus is that last line of what you showed about putting plants outside after an indoor run in summer. This would be really awesome theoretically but for most people still really impractical because most people don't want to to risk losing their whole crop because of a hermaphrodite.

Edited by Evan (04/23/08 12:52 PM)

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#10413 - 04/23/08 12:49 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Evan said:
once she flowers its the end of her life cycle and she's going to die

how is that not misinformation?

i have a personal strain that flowers and finishes very early outdoors. early enough that it usually gets another month or so to grow before the first frosts come around. i never chop the whole plant, i always leave a few nodes, and come back 1 month later to a nice second harvest with awesome purple colors from the colder temps. check my gallery to see what i'm talking about.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Harvesting question [Re: Yrat]
    #10447 - 04/23/08 01:01 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

We are talking about indoor though which is different, though I've never heard of what you are talking about. And I should have said once she completes her flowering cycle she will die naturally without photoperiod and nutrient manipulation. If you didn't cut the buds and nodes and just left it so it all lasted to the frost and turned purple would it still be an earlier finisher or just a normal finisher with you cutting buds early? When you are harvesting are you harvesting when the trichomes start to bend and turn amber, and are you getting amber trichomes on both of your harvests? If not you are snipping buds early but if you are then :thumbup:

edit: just saw in another post that you do use trichomes as an indicator, so there I could very well be wrong :eek::lol: All you people with your crazy pot growing tricks! Please answer these questions though so we can expand from misinformation ------> knowledge on a first hand level.

Edited by Evan (04/23/08 01:13 PM)

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#10484 - 04/23/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i do my first harvest when the amber starts to show, and this is early, around mid-september. i cut off everything except the fan leaves. the plants then regrow branches which grow in as completely new buds. these then mature separately as they are "new" and the trichomes change colors. for the second round, i don't pay particular attention to the trics since i'm really just coming around before the major frosts kill off the plant. they can survive some slight dips below freezing when they are that large and well established, but i don't try to push it too far. you definitely get some beautiful colors doing this though.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
    #10490 - 04/23/08 01:18 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Impressive! So I guess it can be done, but only if certain criteria are met first.

-This would have to be done outdoor as doing it indoor is probably a waste of money
-The plant would have to be pretty big and stable
-really early finishing strain
-be in a climate without really harsh winter to get the 2nd harvest in before frosts.

I'm there are others ways to do it too if you are pulling it off.

Nice work :cool:

Once more question, what is your yeild from second harvest compared to first. Obviously the 2nd harvest isn't as good but just wondering how it compares.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#10510 - 04/23/08 01:31 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

you're right, it isn't comparable to the main harvest, but it's a freebie  :blazed:

lots of popcorn buds up to the size of golf-balls.  the pic in my sig is a good example of a smaller one.  very dense and sticky though. 

i will post up some pictures in a few hours when i get access to my old files.  i'll put them up in my picture  thread but i'll be sure to link it here.

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
    #10527 - 04/23/08 01:39 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Oh yea I wasn't downplaying the 2nd harvest free purple weed on a lucky 2nd harvest is always good!! :smile:

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#10907 - 04/23/08 07:32 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Here is my thread updated with new pictures, including the "re-flowered" ones

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Offlineecto
prop215 / sb420 patient

Loc: california, usa
    #11513 - 04/24/08 10:49 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i've regened and ime the buds mature gen to gen.
though your yield does take a hit but the medicine becomes more matured.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck