Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejoze
Stranger
Outdoor seedlings -- flowering too early?
    #860161 - 05/08/23 01:41 PM (10 months, 14 days ago)

Hello everyone. I'm new here, first time cannabis grower. I'm located in Portland, OR.

I germinated these seeds about one month ago. I've got them in 6-inch pots with regular organic potting soil. They've been getting natural light, no artificial light. They're probably 6-8 inches tall, but still quite skinny.

I started transitioning them to full sun last week, trying to prevent them from getting sunburn (although their tips did get a little burnt one day). Just yesterday I gave them their first dose of vegetative fertilizer.

They've been doing well, but I noticed that a few of them seem to be flowering, and I feel like it's too early for that. (Photo below). Is this normal? Did I do something wrong that triggered early flowering? Anything I should adjust?

I'm not expecting to grow the greatest weed in the world, but I would like to learn through this process. Thank you in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Outdoor seedlings -- flowering too early? [Re: joze]
    #860162 - 05/08/23 02:56 PM (10 months, 14 days ago)

They likely weren't getting enough hours of light before you transplanted them, nor after.  If you let them go, they should eventually revert back to veg, but it may take a month or so after the days get long enough.

They could also be autoflowers, in which case there's not much you can do.

Offlinejoze
Stranger
Re: Outdoor seedlings -- flowering too early? [Re: yoosername]
    #860163 - 05/08/23 04:06 PM (10 months, 14 days ago)

Thanks for the reply.

That makes sense. It's Portland, so it's been fairly gloomy and overcast until the past week or so. It's been getting sunnier, so hopefully they will revert to vegetative growth. I just gave them their first dose of vegetative fertilizer as well.

If they don't revert, that's okay. This is my first time growing, and I started with a bunch of bag seeds I collected, so I have zero financial investment to worry about. It's also possible that some of the bag seeds were autoflower.

I will be posting my progress throughout the season. Thanks again.

joze

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #860167 - 05/10/23 05:43 AM (10 months, 13 days ago)

I live in the same area. Beginning of May is too early to put plants outdoors without supplemental lighting around here. Too many overcast days. They will definitely revert back eventually, it will just take some time is all.

Do you have a plan for keeping rain off of them in late summer/early fall.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinejoze
Stranger
Re: Outdoor seedlings -- flowering too early? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #860169 - 05/10/23 12:00 PM (10 months, 12 days ago)

My plan is letting mother nature run her course. My roommate grew some plants in our backyard last year and was very hands-off with them, and she got a pretty decent harvest.
That said, this is my first time doing this and I know I have a lot to learn, so I'm open to any recommendations. If rainy days are few and far between, I can move my plants into my shed.

Offlinejoze
Stranger
    #860193 - 05/17/23 11:32 AM (10 months, 5 days ago)

Just wanted to give a short update on my plants. We had a major heatwave here in Portland but the plants have been handling it well, after that first initial sunburn. The plants are certainly looking bushier, the stems are stronger, and they are visibly growing every day.

Here are photos of my two plants that are prematurely flowering:

And here's a photo of one of the plants that is in a vegetative stage:

Offlinejoze
Stranger
    #860367 - 07/08/23 10:54 AM (8 months, 16 days ago)

I'm here with an update. The Portland weather has been pretty unpredictable which I'm sure the plants don't appreciate. I had two more seedlings that got cooked in the heat.

As for the plants that were prematurely flowering: they are still flowering, and haven't grown an inch taller. I trimmed the leaves a few days ago.

However, the flowers look pretty decent, some nice trichomes on there for sure. So I'm not disappointed, only confused as to why these two plants flowered so much earlier than all the rest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my other two plants: they are still in vegetative growth and seem to be doing pretty well.

One of the plants is much shorter than the other, and for a while the shorter plant seemed to be a much paler green than the other. So I had a feeling it was a nitrogen deficiency, but I have been giving them the exact same amount of fertilizer and water.

Lucky for me, I manage the laboratory of an agricultural science company. So I brought some leaf samples into work, and got a basic analysis. Interestingly, the shorter, paler plant actually has a higher nitrogen content. But it also has a higher concentration of aluminum, chloride, and sulfur, which lines up with the symptoms. Both plants have relatively low levels of phosphorous and magnesium.

I'm going to correct the phosphorous and magnesium levels, hit both plants with some iodine fertilizer, and then a dose of nitrogen combined with beneficial microbes. After that, it'll be successive doses of calcium silicate (wollastonite) and nitrogen.

Edited by joze (07/08/23 10:55 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #860392 - 07/14/23 09:54 AM (8 months, 10 days ago)

Where did you get the seeds?

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinejoze
Stranger

#860431 - 07/19/23 06:52 PM (8 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
Where did you get the seeds?

They were all bag-seeds I collected over my years of smoking, going back to 2017. I started with 40 seeds and 12 of them germinated. A series of unfortunate events whittled those 12 seedlings down to 4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

joze said:

I'm going to correct the phosphorous and magnesium levels, hit both plants with some iodine fertilizer, and then a dose of nitrogen combined with beneficial microbes. After that, it'll be successive doses of calcium silicate (wollastonite) and nitrogen.

My plants are doing way better after correcting the low phosphorous and magnesium. A little over a week ago, I hit both plants with soft rock phosphate, nitrogen, epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), and bio-char (for soluble carbon), followed by beneficial microbes a few days later.

The plants perked up QUICK. Here is a couple pics showing 11 days ago vs today. I also topped the plant on the left, so it would be about six inches taller if I hadn't done that.

The pale, shorter plant got much greener and both plants got bushier and developed larger leaves. This afternoon, I hit both plants with another dose of those nutrients.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #860437 - 07/21/23 07:47 AM (8 months, 3 days ago)

They're looking way better. Good job.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinejoze
Stranger

#860438 - 07/21/23 02:06 PM (8 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
They're looking way better. Good job.

Thanks friend. I'm hoping they continue to improve, I will be very happy if I get a decent yield from my first grow.

Offlinejoze
Stranger

#860452 - 07/24/23 04:31 PM (7 months, 30 days ago)

UGH. Unfortunately, my larger, healthier plant turned out to be a male...

My one remaining plant is still of indeterminate sex. Fingers crossed it's a female.

Offlinejoze
Stranger

#860567 - 08/08/23 07:17 PM (7 months, 15 days ago)

My lucky day. My last plant turned out to be female. Just today my roommate pointed out some pistils. Here's a not-so-great picture of some pistils, and a picture of the plant.

This bad mama has been sucking up fertilizer like nobody's business. Every week or so I've been running a leaf test at my workplace. I cannot keep up with the calcium and phosphorous demand. I've been fertilizing heavily twice a week.

Offlinespirit_shadow
Old mate firebender
I'm a teapot

#860595 - 08/14/23 08:23 AM (7 months, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
I live in the same area. Beginning of May is too early to put plants outdoors without supplemental lighting around here. Too many overcast days. They will definitely revert back eventually, it will just take some time is all.

Do you have a plan for keeping rain off of them in late summer/early fall.

This may actually be the reason I get a monster every year :lol:

I will start at least one plant indoors in like February then let it grow until spring then I transplant it as soon as the weather doesn't get below the mid 50s.....and so far every time I've done that I have got a monster. Here is this year's:

--------------------
bruh....
Ban Lotto

Offlinespirit_shadow
Old mate firebender
I'm a teapot

#860596 - 08/14/23 08:26 AM (7 months, 10 days ago)

Quote:

joze said:
My lucky day. My last plant turned out to be female. Just today my roommate pointed out some pistils. Here's a not-so-great picture of some pistils, and a picture of the plant.

This bad mama has been sucking up fertilizer like nobody's business. Every week or so I've been running a leaf test at my workplace. I cannot keep up with the calcium and phosphorous demand. I've been fertilizing heavily twice a week.

I don't see any pistils.....but I don't see any sacks either so I'm hoping for you, good vibes your way :vibin:

--------------------
bruh....
Ban Lotto

Offlinejoze
Stranger

Re: Outdoor seedlings -- flowering too early? [Re: spirit_shadow] * 1
    #860602 - 08/14/23 06:46 PM (7 months, 9 days ago)

Haha thanks. Yeah, I took a pretty terrible photo, and the pistils are still quite small. They're definitely there, though. We're having a crazy heatwave right now (105-110 F) so I'm just doing my best to keep this plant alive.

Offlinekazok4000
Stranger
    #860711 - 08/24/23 06:05 AM (7 months, 4 hours ago)

Good luck with those heat waves ! 🥵

Keep us updated, how your plants goes

Offlinejoze
Stranger

Re: Outdoor seedlings -- flowering too early? [Re: kazok4000] * 1
    #860888 - 09/21/23 04:48 PM (6 months, 2 days ago)

This lady is doing quite well. The weather has started to cool down a little bit but it's still been sunny. A couple more weeks and I'm going to start flushing the soil.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds