Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFord1951
Stranger
Few general questions about growing indoors
    #832926 - 05/02/18 01:05 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Does the soil need to be organic?

The kinds of soil/compost I have access to are: Compost Renew Organic, Growise Peat Free Organic Vegetable Compost, Living Green Organic Peat Free Compost, Soil Renew 1.5KG, Westland Organic Potato & Vegetable Food 1.5Kg, 1 x Bag Shamrock Multipurpose Compost, and a lot of Multipurpose Composts and Enriched Top Soils, Ericaceous Compost, Organic Farmyard Manure, Peat Free Organic Vegetable Compost, Mature Plant Compost.

How do I know what kind of fertilizer to use?

I have access to Baby Bio Herb Feed, Baby Bio Original Feed, Organic Chicken Manure Pellets, Bayer Garden Super Strength Glyphosate, Chrysal CVBn Gerbera Treatment Pills, Bord Na Mona Pot Plant Substrate, Gro-Sure All Purpose Slow-Release Feed, Vitax Yellow Sulphur 225g, Westland Sulphate of Potash Fruit & Flower Food, Westland Growmore Garden Fertiliser.

I already bought Fish, Bone and Blood pellets, and Maxicrop Original Seaweed Extract.

If all I have is tap water to water the plant with, what should I add to make it less acidic? What should I do to the soil to make it less acidic? Thanks for any help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Few general questions about growing indoors [Re: Ford1951]
    #832927 - 05/02/18 10:53 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

For the soil you have to go by feel.  If you run synthetics in soil, salt buildup becomes a problem.  Better to go organic IMO, it's fairly intuitive. 

Earthworm castings are best, but any poo will do if it's properly composted.  Local farms are a good source because you can ask about feedstock, antibiotics, et cetera.

Amendments are good, just try not to overdo it.  Less is more with a lot of this stuff, and diversity is key.  Other good amendments would be kelp meal, rock dust, biochar, and neem meal.

To make soil less acidic, add a base.  Oyster shell flour, dolomite lime, lots of ways to go about this.  Same goes for water, though for tap water a RO filter would be ideal.

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: Few general questions about growing indoors [Re: Ford1951]
    #832928 - 05/02/18 10:56 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Vic High (BCGA) suggests his Super Soil mix:

Original recipe:

1 Bale sunshine mix #2 or promix
2 L Bone Meal - phosphorus source
1L Blood Meal - nitrogen source
1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source
3-4 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
1 tsp fritted trace elements
1/2 - 1 bag chicken manure (steer, mushroom, etc) - nitrogen & trace elements
Mix thoroughly, moisten, and let sit 1-2 weeks before use.

Revised recipe - after several failures due to bad manure sources, I now use the following recipe. Results have been excellent and the clones seem to take off right away instead of having a slow growing settling in period.

1 Bale sunshine mix #2 or promix (3.8 cu ft)
8 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
4 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source
1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source
3-4 cups dolmite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
1 tsp fritted trace elements
4 cups kelp meal.
9kg (25 lbs) bag pure worm castings

Mix thoroughly, moisten, and let sit 1-2 weeks before use.

Substitutions - The original recipe was a success, but I simply needed to experiment. In addition, sometimes not all ingredients were always available. Therefore, here are some possible additions and/or substitutions.

I have never used soil but hope this helps.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags