Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: ashfiken]
    #827167 - 07/08/17 09:15 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Outside there is also a lot of diffused light from all directions. The sky is blue because its reflecting light. Hard shadows from a single point light are not natural.

I'm interested in the strip lights now, as they're already wired and easy to work with. Some look promising. They run  cool and you can probably spread them out a bit better with more of them.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: phychotron]
    #827169 - 07/08/17 09:25 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed but iVe also seen pics of plants in Cali standing alone and as big as trees outside getting very direct strong sunlight for days on end and not missing a beat except needing a drink. I get the air/atmosphere/clouds diffuse sunlight to an extent... But again these lights are not the sun and nowhere near as powerful.. So it may not be completely natural per se. But is it beneficial in the end, only years of trial would tell one this..

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#827170 - 07/08/17 09:26 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Btw those look cool but I yearn for the high wattage of the cob over canopy, I'd use the shit outta those as supp/side lighting.

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827172 - 07/08/17 09:55 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

For sure the direct sun is the primary light source. A good strong overhead light seems necessary.

Traditionally the problem with side lighting has been proximity and uniformity. If you have to keep your side lights a foot away then you are wasting floor space that could be filled with plants. In theory these could be suspended between plants if you wanted to 'wrap' the plants with individual side lighting.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

#827173 - 07/08/17 09:58 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Hey phychotron check these strip out here
I don't lollipop just a little deflation nothing extreme.  My plants are about 3 feet tall and I get very little popcorn at the bottom I'm running about 70k lux at the canopy multiply by .015 (par multiplier for cob leds) =1050 par . I'm getting about 45k lux at lower canopy so no problems with penitration that's 6 cxm22 cobs at 310 watts at the wall.

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: funky]
    #827174 - 07/08/17 10:03 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Fucking badass, I was hoping they wouldn't depreciate (lower canopy)by 1/2 or more so that's great news , thanks mang,
And psych that's exactly what
I was thinking some sort of suspended strip/bar that would "wrap" the
Plant in light would be a
Pretty technical feat though as far as proximity, moving of plants, movement within grow space etc..

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827640 - 07/25/17 08:43 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Buds been chopped down and drying for a few days now. Not the best yield but its important to remember that a lot of these plants were in prime condition to flower. The one plant did extremely well--except it hermied as expected. I found out from its mother mid-flower.

They all smell very well, but I'm not impressed with the lights. Those cheap diodes are missing something that makes the buds fill out. I left all the under brush on them which probably didn't help, but I still think the diodes are lacking in some spectrum.

I did no work to these plants other than keep them watered.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#827646 - 07/26/17 05:03 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Its not whats missing its likely whats there ie green spectrum.. makes plant think buds are under the canopy...what do I know tho :wink: what makes led tech of any interest is targeting specific spectrums otherwise might aswell use hps. Useing less power per par therefore less heat is another advantage.

Also could be strain..or of hermied early fertilized the flowers which def knocks down swelling/stacking

Edited by Theman (07/26/17 03:31 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: Theman]
    #827664 - 07/26/17 01:00 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

The mars hydro and generic fixtures have the same problem with the buds not filling out proper. Your right that I probably need more green, as those generics tend to have just red/blue.If I add any more it will probably be some white SMD's on a roll.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#827667 - 07/26/17 03:42 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I thought u were using alot of whites? And hense already too much untargeted light ie too much green as its shown to decrease swell increase stretch because it makes the buds think they are shaded by leaves ie under canopy. Mars hydro also includes whites and likely why u heard same issue. Again by using whites ur moving away from what makes led cool ability to specifically make every watt into usable energy for the plant. If using theoretical full spectrum whites u are better off using hps.

OfflineMof
Male

Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: Theman]
    #827674 - 07/27/17 01:22 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

those buds on the lower right pictures
you didn't top them?
you didn't super crop them?
didn't bend them???

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: Mof]
    #827676 - 07/27/17 04:23 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

A couple of them had been topped. some were just clones to keep alive while testing genetics.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827699 - 07/28/17 02:12 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Trimmed the bud. Surprisingly its denser than I thought in some of the top colas. Cherry pie was mostly larf. RF2 was also more larfy and smokes like shit if its not nugget, so most went to the trim bag. Pineapple express was denser but still low yield. RF5 did alright. The real winner was the larger plant, the Chocolate Hash Berry X Pineapple chunk, labeled Corey. It hermied but still a great aroma.

I've extrapolated the data to see how each plant is doing in terms of grams per square-meter, as well as potential if it was the only strain.

Corey shows that I could easily grow 170g.Most of the bud was of decent density. I think that if I were to get a good yielding strain with better training and skirting I could increase that to 200g or more. I need to find that SOG specific strain. At 170g/250 it would yield .7g/watt. That's not too bad.

Total electricity used was 168kw/h. using about 12 cents/kw-h it consumed $20 in electricity during flower. Nutrients were free samples, so it cost for $20 for 112g. SO 17cents per gram.

My top light was up fairly high for the low power consumption they were using. I could have lowered them down a bit to increase intensity. A PAR meter would help.

I'll work on taking some photos of the trimmed buds. So far I've smoked them all and they're a bit rough but at that point where they should be. They have a lot of potential in terms of flavor and quality with a good cure.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#827701 - 07/28/17 05:34 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

You weighed wet untrimmed bud for ur number? When people say g a watt its trimmed and bagged at that weight not wet.

Also how did u measure ur wattage as the actual will be different then what ur driver/power says for specs.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827704 - 07/28/17 11:10 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Buds been chopped down and drying for a few days now.

I use a Kill-a-watt power meter.

--------------------

OfflineMof
Male

#827719 - 07/29/17 05:36 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

All lights do is wake them up
UV kind of strengthens the plant itself and the heat allows more transpiration of water so it can suck up more nutrients
I know they'd be bigger with a bigger light, but that's because it enables you to grow them much taller
If you grow them the same height as what they were when they had the original light then obviously they won't get much more buds.
I think that's the main reason.

If I had a spare closet somewhere i'd use a 300watt instead of a 125 and grow out two full grown plants, but instead I'm growing these short guys like you and just getting the yeild from the extra branches (which honestly isn't that great when I grow just one I notice the lower buds are much bigger... so your light might have helped you out somewhere)

Edited by Mof (07/29/17 05:37 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827722 - 07/29/17 11:26 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Surprisingly the Corey strain did better in the grow cube in a 1L pot (42grams) than it did in the main flower room, trained, neglected and scrogged (35g) in a 5 gallon pot with  1000w.

--------------------

OfflineMof
Male

#827724 - 07/29/17 03:55 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I'll have to try that out sometime

the air pot I ordered was clearly meant for a tree:salute:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827725 - 07/29/17 05:57 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Airpots were designed for tree's to prevent them from becoming root bound before transplant.

By far the best pots out there. The 1L airpot is the most valuable for transplants. It preps them to take right off into the new medium and lets them grow faster and larger than regular pots. The larger one's are good but the small one's offer the most benefits over traditional pots. I got from the 1L to the 5 gallon pot with no step up in between. The new growth is so fast that it's pointless to use anything in between.

I knew that by using those they'd have the best chances.

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (07/29/17 06:01 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827741 - 07/31/17 10:07 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Some photos

Cherry Pie

Pineapple Express

RF2

RF5

Corey

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies