Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefluentweeds
Stranger
New Grower, First Outdoor (Cali)
    #825337 - 04/12/17 12:39 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Starting my first outdoor grow in 2-3 weeks, and Id like to make sure the information I have read is correct, or will at least work.

RED TEXT=NEED OPINIONS/CLARIFICATION.

I have 5 acres so I will just be growing down on the backside of my property, I won't have to worry about people finding it.

First off I am looking for a reliable website I can purchase seeds from. Also if anyone has any information on "outdoor" seed or which strains have an easier time growing outdoors that would be great.

I will be planting 10-12 plants. I wanted to do 24 but that just seemed WAY overkill for my first grow. (10-12 might be, but it's outdoor so why not).

Going to germinate them and toss them into plastic red cups till about 1 - 1.5 inches tall. Now, once germinated and in the cups how much sunlight/water do they need? Because it'll probably take a week or two before I move them into pots and I am not sure where to keep/put them. I just figured I'd toss them under my desk on the window ledge for a week or two,or out on my porch I just don't want them to get too much sun and die.

Once 1-1.5in I will be moving them into 5 or 7 gallon pots (most likely 7) and put outside. They should be getting 10+ hours of sunlight per day. I'll also be putting 3-4 worms per pot was told it loosens the soil making it easier for the roots to grow.

Soil: I was just going to use ""FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil"". Do I ever need to change the soil out? ( I don't think so but making sure).

Watering: Not sure how much is too much, or not enough. If the soil is moist at least 1in down I believe I have enough water? Defiantly need this clarified.
Also I am on a well (water tank) here, I know we have sulfur and what ever else is in the water (it is drinkable) but is it safe to water my plants with?

Vegging, I know the minimal when it comes to vegging. Did some research when I wanted to do my indoor grow but couldn't get the money for everything. SO how does this work when it comes to outdoor grows? Between what weeks should I be vegging outdoors (right before flowing)? And what is the best product to veg with for outdoor in your opinions? (And why would be helpful).
I honestly can't decide if I want to veg or not though. If its not necessary for the grow I'd rather not have too(just because I don't really know how to or what to do/use) but at the same time if I am going to be dropping 10-12 plants I might as well veg for the best outcome of my plants.

I read something about putting egg shells around the soil to keep snails from munching my plants is this still a thing?

I think that is pretty much it, other then that I let my girls grow until they are ready to harvest and when that point is getting close I will do much research on harvesting, and drying.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Grower, First Outdoor (Cali) [Re: fluentweeds]
    #825340 - 04/12/17 02:40 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

The plants will be taller than that when you transplant them the first time. Go by the development of the root ball, otherwise it will damage the plant if its loose and falls apart. Drill some hols at the bottom of the cups for drainage and watch for roots to pop out the bottom.

Sunlight works. If its too much put it in a shaded area while its real young.

Water as needed, as the pot weighs less. Pick it up and feel it. You'll want the soil to dry a bit before watering again until there is some runoff.  Seedlings will need less water (less than weekly), and full flowering plants need tons(daily). Learn the weight of the pots when they're full of water, and when they're nearly dry. 

Once your plants are in the large pots they should be fine. You might need some nutrients toward the end.

Check the local day length to see how long your days are. When the light reaches around 14hrs a day and less it will start to flower.  September 25 will have 12 hours of daylight and will be roughly the center point of your flower period.

If your growing outdoors its good to veg outdoors to acclimate them to the environment. Maybe an early life indoors but then outside to actually grow. Sunlight is hard to beat.

Best product to veg indoors? in what regard? nutrients, lights, electronics?

Vegetative growth just means regular leaf and stem growth. Its when you top and train your plant if needed. Your maturing the plant before you have it reproduce. Plant the seeds, let them grow for about a month or two before they start to flower and they will be bigger and produce much more.  You can keep it in veg for as long as you want.

For example, if you sow outside in June the plant will be in its vegetative state until the day length reaches around that 14 hour mark in August when you start to see those fine white hairs develop and it flowers for two months until you harvest it in October/November. Now along that way your plant is going to grow in size. If your outdoors, its got the potential to get huge. You might need a bigger container, like 15 gallons if you start them early enough. If your in the vegetative period its safe to up-pot the thing. But once the flower period starts you just want to leave it alone and watch it grow.

--Learn to clone. If you start your plants early, clone the lower branches and have them start to veg in their own smaller containers. That way you can practice, experiment, and have backup. And keep one for a mother plant-bring it inside under 18hours of light and you'll have a plant to work with next year.

Autoflowers might do you well. If your ordering seeds look to get a few of those, plant one and in about 9 weeks you'll have buds, no matter what the day length. I'd suggest those on the side with the regular photo-period plants. Autoflowers are usually feminized so you have to keep buying them each seed.

Skip the worms, skip the eggshells.  You'll probably want/need nutrients along the way. The soil has nutrients in it but will be depleted as time goes on. A basic 2 or 3 part hydroponic nutrient will work and probably be the easiest. Tons of them out there, depends on your budget and availability.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #825342 - 04/12/17 03:59 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Now, once germinated and in the cups how much sunlight/water do they need?

The plants want as much light as you can get them. The amount of water is gonna change from garden to garden depending on strain of the plant how hot it is in your area and so on.

Quote:

Do I ever need to change the soil out?

No

I'd get a hold of a copy of this or something similar. The questions are pretty basic and will be found here and the questions that will come up along the line.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinefluentweeds
Stranger

Re: New Grower, First Outdoor (Cali) [Re: Magash]
    #825343 - 04/12/17 04:13 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Okay so once you hit flowering you just let her grow? Other then that Vegging is just maturing/growing the plant and getting it ready for flowing?

At what point should I start vegging? As soon as I move it to the 7gal pots till the point that its flowering or what?

Also any preferences on what to use while vegging?

Everything seems pretty simple except vegging at what point do I start/stop and what should I be using?

Offlinefluentweeds
Stranger

#825344 - 04/12/17 04:15 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Will take a look and see if I can find a rip anywhere online. Can't stop watching that avatar GIF MY GOD <3.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck