Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

awesome fuckin find
    #799640 - 11/26/15 10:50 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

last week i helped my boss clean out one of his rental houses so he can move someone else in. this place was trashed and fuckin nasty. everything was soaked with dog piss too.

i hit the garage first and as im sorting shit out and tossing shit out i find a HUGE fucking sump for a saltwater tank. this thing had to be at least 30 gallons.

it looked similar to this, minus all the equipment and much bigger.

so i tell my boss im taking it home and throw it in the back of the trunk.

first thing i do when i got home was try and set that shit up to my tank, but it was too fucking big so instead, i post it for trade on a local fish msg board.

this guy hits me up right away and offers a 200.00 skimmer for it which is awesome because ive needed a skimmer for awhile.

the skimmer is a monster and runs fucking beautifully.

my sump under the tank now is a fucking beast.

ill snap some pics once my camera charges.

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: awesome fuckin find [Re: poor boy]
    #799660 - 11/26/15 02:39 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

:mindblown:

--------------------
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

InvisibleP-O

Re: awesome fuckin find [Re: poor boy] * 1
    #799676 - 11/26/15 04:54 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Cool.

Every man needs hobbies that keeps them happy

OfflineMof
Male

Re: awesome fuckin find [Re: P-O]
    #799686 - 11/26/15 06:57 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

i feel like I need that in my room for shits and giggles but it'd smell awful

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

Loc: Just south of down.
Re: awesome fuckin find [Re: Mof]
    #799688 - 11/26/15 07:02 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Why would it smell, they aren't supposed to smell.

What all are you running/keeping Poor Boy?  I used to love fucking around with different systems, DiY stuff.  Before I started moving around that is.

--------------------
It's not easy being green..:bouncysmoke:

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: awesome fuckin find [Re: Amanita86]
    #799694 - 11/26/15 07:43 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I have an entire thread dedicated to my tank.

Search "poor boys fish tank" or something like that.

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#799707 - 11/26/15 08:36 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Oh ok, I see what you have going on there,  nice transition from the start of the thread to the end.  I noticed its a few months old, how's it looking now?

BTW if you never picked up an RO/DI check out the Barracuda line, I picked up a 4 stage for about $336 I think it was and on a tank that size would last you years before filter swaps.  TDS meter, clean, and run off outlets so incase you have a garden you can use your runoff there.  In three years of use it still gets it to 0 ppm in shitty mineral heavy well water.  Its a hell of a unit for the price.  Pays for itself rather quickly, and makes water changes a lot easier.

--------------------

Edited by Amanita86 (11/26/15 08:43 PM)

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#799708 - 11/26/15 08:42 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#799716 - 11/27/15 07:44 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Oh ok, I see what you have going on there,  nice transition from the start of the thread to the end.  I noticed its a few months old, how's it looking now?

BTW if you never picked up an RO/DI check out the Barracuda line, I picked up a 4 stage for about $336 I think it was and on a tank that size would last you years before filter swaps.  TDS meter, clean, and run off outlets so incase you have a garden you can use your runoff there.  In three years of use it still gets it to 0 ppm in shitty mineral heavy well water.  Its a hell of a unit for the price.  Pays for itself rather quickly, and makes water changes a lot easier.

Its actually a couple years now.

The tank is looking great though. I've def had my ups and downs along with losing a bunch of shit. I use to beat myself up every time I lost as something, but over time I came to realize that it comes with the hobby and no matter how much time and money you spend, you are still going to lose shit.

Honestly, I'm keeping this tank as simple as possible. Once we move into a bigger place and I'm making more money, I'll upgrade to a bigger tank and all the fancy gizmos. I'm cool with taking weekly trips to those rodi stations and filling up 2 5g buckets.

My end goal is to get a 75g bow front, 30g fuge, self adjusting LED (mine are manual), and def one of those rodi systems and a calcium reactor.

--------------------

Offlinepizzeria
Stranger

#799749 - 11/27/15 03:03 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Turn that bitch into a poison arrow frog ....jellyfish and ..platypus section...all poison radical animals

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: awesome fuckin find [Re: pizzeria]
    #799760 - 11/27/15 06:44 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Done and done

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#799781 - 11/28/15 09:45 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Hey in all honesty, I don't know where you live in relation to your fish spot but, if you factor in gas plus water cost it pays for itself pretty quick.  I was in the sticks so it was a 80 minute round trip.  Plus driving, loading, unloading 5 gallon homer buckets 5 at a time is a PIA.  I found myself doing water changes just for the fuck of it once I got a RO/DI unit.  Nitrates didnt have shit on me..

Speaking of, where are your nitrates averaging at pre and post water changes?

Those LED's are badass, I never got ones that roll over by themselves.  Im getting flashbacks of burning one and staring off at a tank with all the room lights off.  Maybe one day I'll be able to get another one going.

Edited by Amanita86 (11/28/15 09:52 AM)

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#799798 - 11/28/15 11:21 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Hey in all honesty, I don't know where you live in relation to your fish spot but, if you factor in gas plus water cost it pays for itself pretty quick.  I was in the sticks so it was a 80 minute round trip.  Plus driving, loading, unloading 5 gallon homer buckets 5 at a time is a PIA.  I found myself doing water changes just for the fuck of it once I got a RO/DI unit.  Nitrates didnt have shit on me..

Speaking of, where are your nitrates averaging at pre and post water changes?

Those LED's are badass, I never got ones that roll over by themselves.  Im getting flashbacks of burning one and staring off at a tank with all the room lights off.  Maybe one day I'll be able to get another one going.

i live in the city. i get my water from a spot around the corner. takes a total of 5 minutes to get there, get the water, and drive back. carrying the 5g jugs are a bitch since i live upstairs, but it aint too bad.

honestly, i quit testing my water. for awhile i would test before and after and always be on point. as long as i keep up with my water changes, ill be fine. i dont have an over load of fish and other shit so i stay pretty maintained.

those lights are cool as shit. i almost got them too. it would have costed an extra 40.00, but i wasnt trying to blow a bunch of money and i was already dropping 120.00 on lights as it is. im happy and my coral are happy. growth has been amazing since.

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#799811 - 11/28/15 12:35 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

That's whats up.  I went kind of heavy on mine, so I'd do a water change, test nitrates each week, divide the difference by 7, and know how many were showing up each day.  Test before and after water changes to see what I was getting rid of..  test when I would clean my filters  (BTW multiple filters are the way to go because if you only have one you can kill off your beneficial, but if you have 4 you can cycle them, and the three will support the one you cleaned..cycle them around.. no blooms, no spikes)

I used to test that shit from every angle, like nitrite/nitrate switches, and see how quick they were switching over and at what part of the cycle, like tuning an engine.  They're all different you know?  Every set up is different.  I got into the figuring the numbers.

It's like you're saying, at a point you can just "see" it.  You can look at your water, watch your fish, know the time cycle, and predict what the measures will be.  I miss playing with that shit.

Just for eyeball candy and kind of an all around cool forum, check out Monster Fish Keepers.  Some of those boys set new levels..

But yeah, what works for one, doesnt necessarily work for the other so tune your engine.. your tank will tell you :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#799826 - 11/28/15 02:30 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I never took it that far only because im lazy.

We have a local forum here in san antonio. Ive met a few of them and have seen some real cool shit.

The guy a traded that sump with just hooked me up with a bunch of frags. Im exctied to get them in the tank. Ill snap some pics later.

--------------------

OfflineBumble_Dick
loathsome brute
Male User Gallery

Loc: cage-free tomatoes
    #800020 - 11/30/15 12:23 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

poor boy said:
i live in the city. i get my water from a spot around the corner. takes a total of 5 minutes to get there, get the water, and drive back. carrying the 5g jugs are a bitch since i live upstairs, but it aint too bad.

honestly, i quit testing my water. for awhile i would test before and after and always be on point. as long as i keep up with my water changes, ill be fine. i dont have an over load of fish and other shit so i stay pretty maintained.

those lights are cool as shit. i almost got them too. it would have costed an extra 40.00, but i wasnt trying to blow a bunch of money and i was already dropping 120.00 on lights as it is. im happy and my coral are happy. growth has been amazing since.

*cost

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: awesome fuckin find [Re: Bumble_Dick]
    #800228 - 12/02/15 11:22 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Nuh uhn. Costed. It costeded to much.

:facepalm:
We gotta spellin nazi ova hee.

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#800430 - 12/04/15 06:22 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

What's those frags looking like man?  I always wanted to set up a micro tank just for polyps.  Feed them shrimps and stuff.  Maybe throw in a little feather duster.  But micro, you know?

Levels are tuff in a micro but it looks cool as shit.  I'd get one of those "smart guy library lamps" with the green glass hood, you know what I'm talking about.  Complete DIY micro system.  It would be like a fuckin diamond.

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#800432 - 12/04/15 06:29 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

One of these joints, but converted to a better bulb.

Haha, I was looking up polyps and found this.

You ever mess with puffers?  They're smart as shit, you can train them.  They're like dogs.  I always wanted some puffers, dog faced, stars and stripes,

Ive always wanted a tessalota too.  I've wanted a lot of shit,  funding is a bitch.

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#800442 - 12/04/15 07:05 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

The micros are cool but are hard to keep. The bigger the tank the easier it is to take care of.

Ill take some pics of the frags and post em in my other thread.

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#800444 - 12/04/15 07:13 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, I'll keep an eye out.

Yeah the micros swing, but, they can be pulled off.  They can look real cool. Especially if you're OCD.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom