Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Considering moving to the big island
    #792432 - 09/05/15 03:45 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I've been putting some serious thought into what I want to do after I finally finish college.  I want to buy some land on the big island and make a permaculture homestead to live in.  The idea behind it is to grow a forest of 100% edible/usable plants and being completely food independent. Since the climate on the big island is less harsh than Oahu and many places get about 200" a year, doing so would be manageable.

Okay, so here is some basic ideas for the plan:

Land in the undeveloped areas are about $6000 per acre.  I was thinking about buying a 5 acre plot to start off. I'm a carpenter by trade, so I will be building my own domicile. Many farmers give away propagated food plants in exchange for a weekend of work or a very modest price.  I would need enough solar panels and a backup battery to live off the grid.  Tesla will be releasing a home battery for constant usage in the near future, so I should be able to store enough energy for dealing with the rainy season.  Will have a propane tank for backup/hot water/cooking. 

The purpose behind permaculture is that the land is completely self-sufficient without having to bring in materials/fertilizers. Everything will be composted and used for nutrients. Nothing at all goes to waste. The best part is, I will be able to eat nothing but fresh food every day. It will take about 3-5 years realistically to become self sustainable by starting with fast growing crops and gradually adding slower crops.  There will be a lot of extra food that can be sold at a local farmers market on the weekends for about 6 hours worth of labor a week.

Once I finish my BS in Chemistry, I can expect to be making $50k-$60k a year starting off.  Since food, electricity, and housing are the largest living costs, a majority of my annual salary can be invested in purchasing more property.  The plan is to buy a new lot every year and begin agricultural development on it.  The price of the property has more than doubled there in the past 5 years, making just the blank lots themselves a worthy investment.  I can either use the lots for farmland, or build houses on them and piece out the property. 

To make the post a little more interesting, I will have a lot of private space to grow monster cannabis trees.  The whole thing would be a huge adjustment in lifestyle, but I will be free and almost completely unaffected by shifts in the economy.  Gotta get used to a drastic reduction in fucking random strange. 

I know it is a super long post, but if anybody has any experience on the subject, I would love some input.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Considering moving to the big island [Re: cheezymold]
    #792433 - 09/05/15 03:51 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

This guy is doing it right.  Kind of a long video but it gives you a general idea.

OfflineSurReality
Stranger

#792489 - 09/05/15 01:21 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

do you know much about the planning and zoning in hawaii? that's becomes a huge factor (and usually a pain in the ass) when buying land. i'm trying to do the same thing in colorado. good luck with the homestead, just keep in mind that its not all about whether you are capable of living off your land but if the way you want to live will be suitable to the local government. most everything needs permits that you do to you own land, so becoming active in the community and going out of your way to meet important people is key.

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Considering moving to the big island [Re: SurReality]
    #792503 - 09/05/15 02:16 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

That part itself is pretty easy.  On that island, there aren't many ordinances for development outside of the main cities.  I would have to pay for everything out of pocket though because the banks won't finance many places on that island due to lava zone risk.  The other thing is the larger plots are owned by the state of hawaii and only leased out.  This won't be an issue for a while since I will be starting out small and working my way outward.  One odd thing here is that I don't need a building permit for cabins or structures used for farming.  I just hope that things don't change in the next three years or so while I get my degree.  Hopefully things work out state side for you.

OfflineBumble_Dick
loathsome brute
Male User Gallery

Loc: cage-free tomatoes
    #792521 - 09/05/15 03:45 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Move to a legal state. Grow weed... profit. Buy an island.

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Considering moving to the big island [Re: Bumble_Dick]
    #792525 - 09/05/15 05:03 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

That's a pretty good idea too.  But for how long?  Capitalism has been extremely effective in America.  So much so that the bubble will eventually pop again. Just look at what happened when China's economy started to fall. It's our own fault for investing so heavily into their economy for cheaper labor.  Once all of the baby boomers start dying off, we all know bud will be legal across the states.  Then the large corporations will produce on a massive scale and kill the price. 

My plan was actually thought up with your suggestion in mind to be honest. Hawaii is already very liberal when it comes to cannabis, and will likely be legal in 10-15 years.  Also, we are opening dispensaries here starting next June. It will be a fresh market with great potential for profits.  Street price for an oz of mids run $400 here.  I want to be here when the green rush starts, not after it already slows down. 

To look at it from more angles though, is there a place in legal states that have islands that get enough rain and never frosts?  I'm rather unfamiliar with the climates on the west coast. Most of the cheap land on the big island is higher elevation, so coastal flooding wouldn't be a problem.  Plus, coastal properties are mostly owned by rich people and sell for millions for less than an acre.  Once I have several properties, I can start investing in more expensive places to build vacation homes to rent out.

The whole idea is to be completely self-sufficient while making investments to multiply my profits.  If we have another great depression, or world war III, I will have everything I need even if the dollar becomes worth less than the paper it's printed on.  If disaster never happens, there will be a constant flow of money with minimal effort.  I want to retire before the age of 50.

OfflineSurReality
Stranger

#792541 - 09/05/15 06:34 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

lol its not that easy... also most of the places in colo that has cheap land are frustrated with people trying to do that and fail due to all the red tape and end up in poverty sucking up the welfare that hardly exists. so by doing that you will meet skeptical neighbors (for good reason) and no one will have your back when it doesn't work.

OfflineBumble_Dick
loathsome brute
Male User Gallery

#792545 - 09/05/15 06:48 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Are you a grower in colorado? I've never heard of these struggles.

OfflineSurReality
Stranger

#792546 - 09/05/15 06:49 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

i am not but i am a homesteader and i am very familiar with the problems that are caused by people moving here thinking they can get rich quick by growing weed. i would only consider myself a grower of personal use.

OfflineBumble_Dick
loathsome brute
Male User Gallery

#792549 - 09/05/15 06:59 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I actually know quite a few people that have 'gotten rich quick' this way. Other than less risk, it's the same as growing in a non-legal state. As long as you are quiet, and know what you're doing... it is that easy.

OfflineSurReality
Stranger

#792550 - 09/05/15 07:02 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

yea that's what i say too man. i totally agree its pretty much the same as a non-legal state. because if you actually get rich you won't be doing it legal anyway.

OfflineBumble_Dick
loathsome brute
Male User Gallery

#792553 - 09/05/15 07:04 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Who gives a shit? If I had a half million in assets, I still wouldn't want to own/operate a dispensary. You can , however, get a license to grow for dispensaries.

OfflineSurReality
Stranger

#792559 - 09/05/15 07:09 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

lots of people care. people want to make an honest living doing what they believe helps people (distributing weed). not me though, i totally agree. i have been offered jobs in medical weed and i'd rather work at mcdonalds, keep my record clean and use my degree in the future.

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
    #792586 - 09/05/15 08:12 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cheezymold said:
This guy is doing it right.  Kind of a long video but it gives you a general idea.

Oh my god that john dude is nuts. My dad subscribes to his channel and every now and then i watch some of his vids. He used to be real sick then started juicing and growing his own and got a lot better. He got raided for his neighbors snitching on his veggies grown with LEDs. He even got a med card and has some weed vids, even juicing fresh plants and buds its a trip.

What really trips me out is his insane energy and how hes always yelling at the camera. OH WOW LOOK AT THIS LETTUCE HEAD ITS GROWN ORGANICALLY AND CAN BE THE KEY TO SAVING YOUR LIFE LOOK AT HOW WE GROW IT AHHHHH.

Cool guy though.

Anyways, permaculture is badass OP. I support decision.

--------------------

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Considering moving to the big island [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #792609 - 09/05/15 10:55 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I don't actually plan to make growing buds my primary source of income.  I'm just saying that there will be potential to do so in the next few years.  I just grow for personal use myself, but outdoor plants can yield way more than I would smoke.  Might as well sell some extra to the dispensary.  I wouldn't be able to handle the cold in CO lol.  Every bit of food in grocery stores here comes from other countries.  Recently, a shipping company in CA had it's workers go on strike, and no more food was being sent in.  I'm way more interested in growing food because of this. 

Quote:

SmokeSomeHash said:
Quote:

cheezymold said:

Oh my god that john dude is nuts. My dad subscribes to his channel and every now and then i watch some of his vids. He used to be real sick then started juicing and growing his own and got a lot better. He got raided for his neighbors snitching on his veggies grown with LEDs. He even got a med card and has some weed vids, even juicing fresh plants and buds its a trip.

What really trips me out is his insane energy and how hes always yelling at the camera. OH WOW LOOK AT THIS LETTUCE HEAD ITS GROWN ORGANICALLY AND CAN BE THE KEY TO SAVING YOUR LIFE LOOK AT HOW WE GROW IT AHHHHH.

Cool guy though.

Anyways, permaculture is badass OP. I support decision.

He does have really good videos.  I didn't know he grew buds too lol.  The only reason I even eat all of this processed food is because I can afford to. I'm trying hard to get my health back in order but I keep having more go wrong once one issue is resolved. I think that eating better food would help tremendously. 

Tropical fruit is my favorite thing to eat.  Unfortunately, much of it needs to ripen on the plant. Take pineapple for example. On the mainland, it tastes okay but it is a little tart.  It can't be shipped fully ripe because it becomes to soft.  It's so much sweeter when it is ready, but stops ripening as soon as it's picked.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #792610 - 09/05/15 11:32 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SurReality said:
lots of people care. people want to make an honest living doing what they believe helps people (distributing weed). not me though, i totally agree. i have been offered jobs in medical weed and i'd rather work at mcdonalds, keep my record clean and use my degree in the future.

...keep your record clean from having a job? you probably dont have much to offer the industry anyway with an attitude and outlook on life like that.

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Considering moving to the big island [Re: CrushNazT]
    #792613 - 09/06/15 12:13 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I think he is talking about the current state of "Legal" distribution.  There are still many places getting raided and people thrown in jail even though voter backed amendments in these states make it legal.  I would be pissed if I spent 4-8 years and $50,000 going to school for something I am passionate about and have it go down the toilet just because greedy ass law enforcement wants to extort money/goods from you. Getting a felony will make it hard to get regular jobs, make you ineligible to vote or own a firearm, and lose your retirement.  Once the ban is lifted on a federal level, the risk will be drastically reduced.

OfflineSurReality
Stranger

#792625 - 09/06/15 06:33 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

yea that's exactly what i'm talking about, plus other employers are less than impressed to see your last job was trimming weed or budtending

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures