Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineefarley
LED Grower
Loc: Oregon Flag
2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under DS XML 650 (LED) using DWC
    #781490 - 06/09/15 02:14 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

This will be my second grow, after numerous failures I finally managed to get a plant into flower that's happy and healthy even though it had less than ideal condition. On the coat tails of this success I have started my second grow :smile:

I wanted to go LED over HID for a number of reasons I won't detail, but mainly I'm an early adopter and I think LED are the future and HID are outdated. It took a while of searching and reading reviews to find an LED light that didn't seem to be all hype or only had enough penetration for clones/veg however finally I found the AdvancedLED XML series of lights. I want the best bugs I can grow so I bought the brightest one, the 650.

To go with the light I purchased a 40x40x80 tent from Apollo Horticulture which comes in at 110 cubic feet so I paired it with a 160CFM exhaust fan. I'm running four 5 gallon DWC buckets with a 1096GPH air pump feeding 4 inch air discs.

For nutrients I decided on the Advanced Nutrients line mostly for the PH Perfect and having read a number of posts from other growers using this line.

The plants are all Mega Jackpot Feminized from Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds growing in hydroton. They're currently 3 weeks from germination but the first 2.5 weeks were under very poor lighting due to a lack of room for them...

Since they were transplant into the new tent they're doing pretty good. I had some issues with heat from the light that I think caused a little yellowing on the edges of the leafs but I've gotten that resolved now. It turns out that light is a bit big for my tent as it pushed the temps inside the tent over 90 degrees in an air conditioned house in no time.

The new setup:

The light was putting out a ton of heat and even though I have central air set to 68 the inside of the tent was hitting 90+ *ouch!* To fix this I hooked up my old window A/C unit and pointed the intake duct directly in the cold airs path. This has dropped the tent temps significantly! So much so I'll be able to turn the a/c down.

Here's a close up of two of the plants, you'll also notice in the bottom right I've placed my air pump directly in front of the intake to suck cold air into the water, this is working really well.

I still need to get a humidifier to raise the humidity a bit for veg but overall I'm feeling excited for this grow and can't wait to see how this light I've heard so much about performs!

Stay tuned

Edited by efarley (07/11/15 11:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineefarley
LED Grower
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: efarley]
    #781530 - 06/10/15 12:34 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I just gave the ladies some new coats so the water will stay cool while I raise the room temp to 75-76

They are looking great and have been growing much faster under the new XML 650 than my Mars UFO, no surprise there.. You can see the yellowing from the high heat, new growth looks green though.

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #781996 - 06/14/15 03:33 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Well I've decided the plants are done being seedlings and so today marks Week 1 - Day 1 of veg! Exciting day! I've gotten the room temp to stay between 73 and 77 degrees and the nutrient solution is sitting around 66-67 degrees. The humidity is still a bit lower than I'd like sitting between 45 and 55% RH, I'll have to buy a small humidifier to keep it between 50-60% RH. I have significant negative pressure in the room so the exhaust is doing it's job, if I end up with a carbon filter in flower this should equalize the pressure more, but I'm happy with where it's at now. That all said I'm very happy with the current environment, I think I should get some really nice buds outta this run, can't wait.

I did have some issues with a brown slim in my water, which I hope was caused by the temps getting in the 90's and two buckets losing air for an unknown length of time. Both issues happened early in the week and have been resolved so I cleaned everything out really good and hopefully I won't see any issues this week. I've also had an issue with the PH climbing to 6.6 consistently every day even with PH perfect so I keep having to use PH down nightly to get it back to 5.8, this issue is on going.

The plants are loving this light are are growing quite a bit faster than I remember the last grow moving.

This is the big girl, she's growing quite a bit faster than the rest. I hope everyone else catches up! Oddly this is the only plant showing rot on it's roots.

Here's the runt of the liter, she's quite a bit smaller than the biggest so hopefully she catches up here soon. She was also the one with the worst yellowing early last week from the temp/ph/air problems but she's growing healthy now.

I'm excited to see how this turns out and of course feel free to post any comments you have, I've love the feedback :smile:

Edited by efarley (06/14/15 03:50 PM)

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #783555 - 06/28/15 12:09 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Haven't had any updates lately because in my battle with root rot I raised the water level too high and nearly killed the plants.

Here they were on Veg week 2 day 3, looking sickly and sad :frown:

Luckily they are finally recovering! They took a big hit, a couple lost the first two nodes, the other two just needed some trimming but overall they are growing quickly again. I also FIMed two of the plants, the other two I'll FIM in a day or two when they're ready.

Stay tuned!

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #784247 - 07/04/15 11:38 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Another week goes by and man are these girls growing fast! I got a humidifier this week and have been keeping the humidity between 45-60% RH which is pretty much where I wanted it. I also seem have have nipped the rot rot on 3 out of 4 of the plants. The 4th is still showing some root issues but I think she's starting to bounce back finally. I FIMed all four plants as well, two of them it looks like I cut too high as they continued to grow normally only with deformed leafs so I FIMed them again.

Pics from veg week 3

Group shot, they have at least doubled in size this week.

She is the biggest of the bunch and has been the whole time. The others are catching up to her but she's still looking the best.

I messed up the FIM on this one and so now she looks like she's got a weird hair cut lol

Another one that I fucked up on, this one has even more deformed leafs so I FIMed her again.

This is the runt, she's always been the runt and is currently the only plant still having issues with her roots. She also seems to have started dropping today, hopefully she perks up and the roots recover, she's got some catching up to do.

Here's a root shot of one of the 3 that has been recovering from the rot. I didn't take any pics before but the roots were covered in a dark brown substance, especially in the dense root ball. They are now white and healthy and growing like crazy!

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #784259 - 07/05/15 06:50 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

is each one of those buckets separate or does the water flow through them all back to a main reservoir?

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: CrushNazT]
    #784281 - 07/05/15 10:50 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Separate. I plan to make a shared res for the next run but I'm not sure how I'd drain/fill it growing in a bedroom. Single buckets are easy to pick up and dump down the tub, not sure what I'd do with them all connected.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#784290 - 07/05/15 11:59 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

ive done what youre doing, it was SUCH a pain in the ass. i'll never do it again.

although i didnt use advanced nutrients, i used general hydro's flora series, my pH and ppm would drop/jump SO fucking often. i literally had to check them twice a day to adjust pH and PPM...

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #784314 - 07/05/15 02:59 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I had to adjust my PH every day, twice a day when I was having rot issues, now that that is cleared up I'm checking every day but doing nothing mostly. The only time it's really a pain is when I want to raise the PPM and have to dump the bucket and remix new.

I need to figure out how to increase the PPM without dumping the whole bucket.

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #785080 - 07/11/15 10:00 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Man I can't believe how fast these girls are growing, they have easily tripled in size this week! They really love this light, so far I highly recommend it, can't wait to see how it works for flower.

The two plants in the front are clearly growing much better than the two in the back, I'm not sure why but the back two have been having more root issues, the one on the left just finally started to recover late in week 4. They water temps have also been about 1-2 degrees warmer in the back two buckets, most likely because they are further from the cool air intake. I think all of the root issues are resolved now, as long as my latest reservoir change didn't introduce more rot.

Veg Week 4 - Day 7

Took a quick picture before I pruned the ladies

Another picture after I finished pruning the 3 larger ones, I'll do the runt when it get's a little bigger.

Veg Week 5 - Day 1
24 hours after the last picture and look how much they've gown!!

Couple close ups of one of the bigger plants, I can't believe how fast these girls are growing.

Finally here's some pics of the roots from the front two plants, looking great!

Stay tuned and let me know you're thoughts, I love to hear them :smile:

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

#785094 - 07/12/15 12:26 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

:popcorn:

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: Mycophile]
    #785119 - 07/12/15 07:21 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

how much longer till you flip to 12/12?

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #785136 - 07/12/15 10:05 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I'm thinking 1 or 2 more weeks, that will give them 5-6 weeks in veg. I'd like to get them to around 15 inches before I make the switch.

Edited by efarley (07/12/15 10:29 AM)

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #786001 - 07/19/15 04:50 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Well after 5 weeks of veg and a total 55 days since seed I have switched the ladies over to flower!

Here's a couple quick group shots

And one more with the light on since I don't think I've shown what that looks like.

The biggest girl is 17 inches tall

The runt of the group is catching up but still only 12 inches tall

And here's a quick shot of the roots for the biggest plant, looking good still!

The light has done amazing through veg, I can't wait to see what this baby does during flower!

Edited by efarley (07/19/15 04:54 PM)

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#786024 - 07/19/15 07:24 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

hell yea dude, lookin good. super healthy white roots. looks like youre doin somethin right! lol

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #786540 - 07/26/15 01:17 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Not a whole lot to update this week, growth is continuing at the rate it has been, there hasn't been any crazy increase. We're at 24 inches for the tallest plant and 18 inches on the shortest, so next week should finish the stretch on 2 or 3 of them (based on the seed bank info).

Couple group shots, they're looking like a jungle. The tent is completely full at this point so I'm considering doing some pruning to try and get light penetration on the lower portions.

The tops are looking beautiful, I've got nice pistols forming and I think i see the start of some buds already.

Based on how my first grow under a tiny under powered 180w UFO LED is going these buds are going to be gorgeous. Here's that grow on week 8 day 2 of flower.

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

#786543 - 07/26/15 01:45 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Nice room.  Glad they recovered for ya.  :smile:

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: cheezymold]
    #786637 - 07/26/15 10:44 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Another update for the week since I just finished pruning the ladies. One thing I noticed was the smell of the fresh cuttings. They smelled so good, like candy. I'm not sure if that's representative of how the buds will smell but if it is they will be delicious.

First here's a side by side, pruned on the left, before pruning on the right.

Here's the tent after I was done with the pruning. You'll notice I was more aggressive with the plants on the left vs. the right. I think the way I pruned the left plants is correct, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't taking too much off, so I did a little less on the right.

Man it makes me nervous taking this much plant material away...

Holy roots Batman!! Both front plants look like this, the back two have quite a bit less root growth.

Edited by efarley (07/26/15 11:09 PM)

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #788085 - 08/01/15 10:54 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Week two is done and it's time for an update. It's been a great week, I started focusing on getting my PPM adjusted to where the plant wanted it instead where I thought that plant wanted it. It took a little fine turning but I've gotten my PPM to stay steady on all of the plants and since I did that the PH swings I have been dealing with (0.2, to 1.0 every 24 hours) have stopped. As a result I've decided to stop dumping and cleaning my reservoirs out every 7-14 days and will just be topping off water and nutes daily since I'm now getting the same PPM, PH and temp every day and the plants are showing how happy they are! We're up to 30 inches on the tallest tops which is interesting because the seed bank and leafly both list this plant as having a 27.5 inch height. I'm a bit worried as these are getting very close to my light, more on this later.

It's only been two weeks and they already have visible buds developing! Considering I only topped these plants once each I'm amazed at the number of tops I've ended up with. I guess my pruning has been successful!

I'm blown away, I'm currently in week 9 of another grow using the same strain but in a crap environment and under only 180w UFO. That plant didn't have buds this size until week 5 of flower!

I am a bit worried though, despite how healthy the plants look the buds have less noticeable pistols than my other grow and they are really pale or white in color. I'm thinking my light is bleaching my buds!! :frown: What do you guys think, are the being bleached or is it just they're young and growing fast so they're a little pale still. I'm thinking I'll give it another 3 or 4 days and see if they fill in green or not. The light is less than a foot from the highest tops and I can't raise it any higher so I'd have to turn the lights down if it's bleaching which I'd rather not do. Let me know if I should be worried if you've seen this before.

As you might have noticed from the above pictures I discovered today how amazing the zoom on my phone is, so expect some awesome close ups of these buds as they grow! :smile:

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #788314 - 08/04/15 12:56 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I really didn't like how close the plants were getting to my light. They are up to 32 inches today! So I decided I was going to re hang the light now instead of after the grow.

It was fun, The S hooks I got were too small to fit over the supports in the tent so I got to practice my blacksmithing skills

I needed to raise my exhaust out of the way of the higher light so I had to shorten the straps I had, so I also got to practice my tailoring skills as well

The light is so much higher! Here it is at maximum height, I lowered it about 5 inches below this point since it was 20-23 inches from the plants at full height.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck