Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSamhainJ
Some problems I'm having..any help or ideas appreciated
    #782699 - 06/21/15 03:00 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I started 20 plants inside about 6 weeks ago under a single t-5 54w ho lamp, and due to unexpected cold temps and torrential rain about 4 times a week I ended up keeping em inside for 4 weeks before bringing outside. This caused em to be too heavy with weak base stems.

Now that I have em outside I have about 14 plants left, about half of which have grown nice thick base stalks to support em, and put them in a pretty large rabbit cage Bc I live right on the edge of the forest and have a lot of pest problems, and also it's also raining pretty ridiculously hard still about 3-4 times a week so I throw plastic sheeting over the cage when it starts to rain. I put 2 plants under a  tree and left em out in the rain and it battered em in about two hours time to the point where they are just now recovering after about two weeks.

So my question is I guess, since some of them are getting to be about two feet tall and poking they the top of the cage, what should I do with them to keep from getting battered by rain? Where would be a good spot to place them to be protected from hard rain/storms? Any ideas appreciated thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIcon
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Some problems I'm having..any help or ideas appreciated [Re: SamhainJ]
    #782769 - 06/21/15 10:56 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

A friend of mine planted his outdoors in a forest behind his house. Wasn't too thick, maybe a tree every 20 feet. The trees were big and shaded the whole area and I think also protected them from rain and wind. He planted them in the ground much earlier than you did though and staked the area with chicken wire to keep animals away.

Could keep them in the cage to use as a scrog and hang clear plastic sheeting like 8 feet above the area?

Edited by Icon (06/21/15 11:00 PM)

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#782781 - 06/22/15 04:29 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Just alter your current method.
Take your tarp/plastic and instead of laying flat on top of cage prop it up with a stake or branch in the middle of the cage of the height you need, making more of a tent. My 2 cents

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

OfflineSamhainJ
Re: Some problems I'm having..any help or ideas appreciated [Re: ashfiken]
    #782803 - 06/22/15 09:43 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I've looked into scrog a little bit, but do you think the metal bars of the cage will eventually cause the plants to snap there stems, or do they just conform to not having more height to grow, and bush out instead of getting taller?

Great ideas and advice guys, thanks!

OfflineIcon
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #782860 - 06/22/15 02:31 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't tried scrog yet either, but I think if you're gentle you can bend them around pretty good without breaking. I'm sure it's easier with a net but metal wire should work. Once the tip of the highest top is bent below the others, the plant is fooled into pushing hormones into the other branches, making it bushier and evening out the branch heights. Prob best to do it sooner than later so they grow in the direction you want and you're not tucking back 6" of growth. If it's already beyond the cage, could still use the many points to anchor a string and tie the branches down.

Edited by Icon (06/22/15 02:45 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some problems I'm having..any help or ideas appreciated [Re: Icon] * 1
    #782877 - 06/22/15 03:42 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

metal bars of the cage will eventually cause the plants to snap there stems

Nope
:stoned:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineSamhainJ
Re: Some problems I'm having..any help or ideas appreciated [Re: Magash]
    #783025 - 06/23/15 01:58 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

God damn magash, you have to use an axe to harvest her?
This is the kind of cage I'm using.. Would it be more beneficial to leave them in it and let them bend from the top bars versus just taking em out and letting them grow normal?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #783050 - 06/23/15 05:45 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

That's not going to be nearly big enough

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineSamhainJ
Re: Some problems I'm having..any help or ideas appreciated [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #783083 - 06/24/15 01:07 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, guess I'll abandon the cage and maybe try something else for SCROG.. Several plants are too tall for the cage now and have about top 10 inches bending over in the rabbit cage. Would tying a plant down accomplish pretty much the same thing, as far as making more bud areas Bc of increased light down the plant?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #783088 - 06/24/15 02:49 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

It may not help as much as spreading the plant in a cage but low stress tying of the plant can help big-time. :thumbup:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineIcon
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #783139 - 06/24/15 01:55 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SamhainJ said:
Would tying a plant down accomplish pretty much the same thing, as far as making more bud areas Bc of increased light down the plant?

I think increased light across the plant is more of a secondary effect. Canna has auxins, plant hormones, in the main stem that promote growth; naturally making a tall, christmas-tree shape. Your main goal is to manipulate the hormone distribution/production by bending which top is the main top. Once the main top is below the others, the nodes and branches below are treated with more hormones, leading to more tops.

Edited by Icon (06/24/15 02:03 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder