Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMof
Male

My space has kind of reached it's limit
    #779018 - 05/16/15 03:17 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

The plant is about a foot tall and shooting out limbs everywhere, the pot is about 12-15" and the light is just 12" above so i can't really turn on the infrared as high as I want and I don't have a closet to hang the light
http://advancedledlights.com/3w-led-grow-lights/xte-series-led-grow-light-usa-made-5w-leds/

it's been growing for a little over a month
what should I do?

Edited by Mof (07/15/15 11:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: My grow space has kind of reached it's limit [Re: Mof]
    #779039 - 05/16/15 08:44 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

So you're saying the LED is just over 3 feet off the ground?

If you can't find someplace taller, you could bend and tie the branches down or even just cut the whole top off if it's early enough in flower maybe? I've done both before and wasn't too disappointing with the results, but there may be a better option.

OfflineMof
Male

Re: My grow space has kind of reached it's limit [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #779042 - 05/16/15 09:25 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I have some mylar reflecting the sides but the space is about four feet and so much space used up by the pot i guess

figured itd get as tall as the pot and stop but I remember these things getting pretty tall

any other options at this point that won't wreck it?

like how to adjust the light to force it to flower?
I need to order flowering solution if that...

or maybe just let it get as tall as it wants and let the tops bleach
thats the problem the tips are bleaching...

i'm considering cutting out the top of the bureau now

the light is supposed to hang...

Edited by Mof (05/16/15 09:28 PM)

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#779044 - 05/16/15 10:51 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

ahh yea those answers are a few levels beyond what I know. someone might know about bleaching and IR and all that stuff.

InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

Loc: Spaceship Factory
Re: My grow space has kind of reached it's limit [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #779051 - 05/17/15 12:34 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Assuming you are vegging a non auto-flower strain, if you switch to a 12/12 light cycle now your plant will want to stretch likely double the size it is now or more even. 

Only thing I could suggest aside from moving to a taller space is to flower it now and top and train it now.  It will only get taller the longer you wait.

To flower the plant make sure it gets 12 hours of darkness and 12 of light from here on out.  Put your light on a timer if it isn't already.

I can only guess that the "flower solution" you refer to must be some bloom nutrients.  Don't worry about that yet, the plant will do fine with whatever nutrient you have been giving it for veg for another week or two after you flip the light to 12 on 12 off.  I would cut back on nutrients all together if you are in a decent soil mix - half or even 1/4 strength.  Vegetative growth is the last thing you need at this point.

You are going to have to move the light all the way up - its supposed to hang so that you can adjust it to the height of your plant but that is no longer an issue.  If it has venting on top for cooling then leave an inch of space between it and the top of your box so it won't overheat and kill your LEDs.  Otherwise mount it right to the top (or as close as possible).

Red spectrum LEDs will bleach your plant.  The good news is that you now know just how far you need the plant to be from the light before that starts to happen.  With this knowledge you should be able to effectively train the plant to just below that distance from the light over the next two weeks or so.  I would at least top it and let it bush out some more.  It will still get taller in the next 2 or 3 weeks so don't be afraid to bend and tie to keep your foliage out of the "bleach zone".  Try to keep your nodes/budsites exposed to the light.

I suppose you could try to scrog it at this point also - check out some youtube videos of scrogs and do it if you feel up to it - normally I would train to scrog from the very start but ill bet you can wrangle it anyway.

any info on strain?  what ventilation, soil/media, nutrients?  I might be able give you a better answer with better info.

--------------------
Opinions WILL vary!

This is all just an internet fantasy, ruse, delusion, fabrication etc...

Edited by Karmikal (05/17/15 12:40 AM)

OfflineMof
Male

Re: My grow space has kind of reached it's limit [Re: Karmikal]
    #779066 - 05/17/15 11:33 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I put like 3-4ml of nutrients in once a week usually
used fox farm organic soil
using fox farm veg solution
it's a mediHaze plant
not much else only use two poland spring bottles per watering

Edited by Mof (06/03/15 05:57 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #779076 - 05/17/15 02:13 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

You'll need to top it or it will overgrow that area. When you top it you force the plant to divide work amongst more branches and when it 'doubles' in size that will be spread out to more tips, usually stretching much less because of it.

I would top it about the height that the side shade leaves are level to the main stem.

Then give it 4-6 days to recover before flipping to 12/12 to flower and you'll still have a lot of plant to deal with.

Let the tips bleach, you probably won't even have a problem with just the single XTE100. Get the light as close as you can, within 3-6". The smaller lights don't have the collective power like a XTE400 would have. Even if it does bleach you won't notice any issues other than how it looks.

These are from under a DS400, within 6"-12" of the light.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

Re: My grow space has kind of reached it's limit [Re: phychotron]
    #779077 - 05/17/15 02:37 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

What he said :thumbup:

Pic clears things up a bit - I agree you have a bit more veg time available! Phychotron, you act like you've done this before...:wink:

--------------------
Opinions WILL vary!

OfflineMof
Male

#779082 - 05/17/15 03:59 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I might cut a hole behind the light to get some air in there
the light is on usually from 9am-1am
I figure the plant will always grow torwards the light so I'm just going to raise the mylar instead

I don't want to mess with the light and the rope anymore honestly, it's really annoying and there's always the chance it could fall if hit by something...

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #779092 - 05/17/15 06:14 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I had to make my own hangers with chain and hooks, they give you way too long of wires with the LED's. It looks a bit close to the top and might overheat the light more than desired.

You should have your ventilation so that your sucking the hot air out of the top and fresh air is coming in from the bottom. You need air exchanged 24 hours a day to keep humidity down or run the risk of powder mildew. If you get a fan controller get one that turns the exhaust fan on when both the humidity or temperature are too high. Otherwise you could probably just keep your exhaust fan on a speed controller at low and manually adjust it as the seasons change.

Run your lights at night when its easier to cool them, which helps in the summer. It also equalizes the temperature in the garden over the period of a day so that its warm out when they're in the dark, which is good for winter.

When do you plan on flowering it? When it starts to stretch out you will probably want to pinch the branches to slow them down.

It could get pretty big...
Day 3 of flower:

Day 6

Day 13

Day 23, finally stopped getting bigger and starting on flower production

Day 51

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMof
Male

#779093 - 05/17/15 06:30 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

that's pretty rad

this is my first time growing
I've never seen anyone grow indoors face to face honestly

when does it start to smell the most?

it gets cool in october so I'll probably flower by the end of july

Edited by Mof (05/17/15 06:32 PM)

OfflineMof
Male

#780648 - 05/31/15 03:49 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

should I wait until it hits that last 3" or is it going to hit that during flowerin?

Edited by Mof (06/03/15 05:58 PM)

InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

#780659 - 05/31/15 06:30 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

If you haven't started flowering already you are definitely going to need to train it.  I would start flowering asap - its going to try to get even bigger after you switch your lights to 12/12 for flower.  Research some training methods - next time I might wait until it gets only about half the size you want it to be and then flower.

These plants are two weeks apart in age and are both in 12/12 flowering cycle...
LEFT SIDE: just started flowering
RIGHT SIDE: what they look like 2 weeks later

--------------------
Opinions WILL vary!

OfflineMof
Male

#780673 - 05/31/15 09:33 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

It's funny my plant just loses branches when I pour water on it since so little light gets down there

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #780674 - 05/31/15 09:46 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I would top it around the middle/lower, let it veg for another week or two and then flower.  Your area won't keep the plant from overgrowing it, it will just keep growing past the light if it has to. You'll just need to find a larger area for it. If you try to top it in/close to flower it will not grow primary colas and you'll suffer from wimpy buds.

What you have now is WAY too big for that size area.

You do not have the light intensity for a large 3' plant. If you try and overload the plant with bud sites that the light cannot support then you will have nothing but fluffy leafy flower, but no real buds. Your light is small and therefore going to be best for smaller nuggets, not a bunch of leafy flower.

Topping it now would be great, it would put the lowest branches (3-6 branches when your done) at an advantage because they're closer to the root zone and the larger main stem acts as a super highway--you just cut out 80% of the road and it will divert that energy/nutrients to multiple branches more evenly. You'll have much better growth and nuggets overall.

You will also utilize the most of the light since you can get it closer to an even canopy and have even coverage without suffering from one tall cola keeping your light 3' from the bottom branches.  If you had a 400w light you'd have much better results with a single cola, but just the one small light will need to be utilized to the MAX if you want to be satisfied with it. But right now, your plant is not properly matched to that size and intensity of light.

Overgrown, the plants wont stop because of ceiling height.

--------------------

OfflineMof
Male

#780688 - 05/31/15 11:29 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

What if I just cut all the single leaves?

They're the biggest but I feel like the other branches would get more light and it'd slow down

Edited by Mof (05/31/15 11:33 PM)

OfflineMof
Male

#780689 - 05/31/15 11:45 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Well I looked at how far the light reached diagonally and topped it there

OfflineMof
Male

#780690 - 05/31/15 11:50 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I hate you guys: )

Edited by Mof (06/03/15 05:50 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #780743 - 06/01/15 03:30 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GIdoubleB said:
What if I just cut all the single leaves?

They're the biggest but I feel like the other branches would get more light and it'd slow down

Why the hell do people think that cutting off all the solar panels on a plant will make it grow faster? DO NOT chop off just shade leaves!!!!!!!

!!!!!

I would have chopped it a little lower, I know it seems like a lot but would have just enough branches to point out in only one direction each... No overlapping of lower/upper branches pointing the same direction... I.E--A branch facing North, East South and West... Basically just a single layer of branches facing one direction so that you get a nice even canopy... Look down from the top of the main stem and see if there are multiple branches facing the same direction. Some can be bent over or diverted to the side (smashing the branch, training, tying) to round the plant out. + and * patterns looking downward.

The top branches that you left are good but they're too far along comapared to the lowers and won't have the effect your going for, more like a single cola but a double.

I would take the top 4 branches that are left on and then it would be nice and short and more even and bushy. --I'd need more photos to confim it,

You *may* want to eventually cut the tips of the lowest branches to keep the tips from overgrowing and letting the middle branches shoot upward, but I would not suggest it this time around... next time maybe. you need your plant as short, squat and as even as possible.

I know its hard to do, your going to feel like you just chopped over half the plant off, but you need to experiment or you will never be able to understand your plants. I think this is why most people never get the best out of their plant--they're too concerned about yield that they are scared to stray from their formula.

--------------------

OfflineMof
Male

#780786 - 06/01/15 10:48 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I liked it before but this way I get the maximum light i guess (there's a lid underneathe that pot)

Edited by Mof (06/02/15 02:21 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck