Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnton Rising
Stranger

Update on my big girl and couple new roomates ^_^
    #771042 - 03/05/15 10:02 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

So at the advise of some ppl on here I put some shielding over my lights so their more focused over my plants seen here.

Here's two bag seeds I started a month ago here they are at about 2 weeks

And two weeks later their huge! Hope their females, specially that big one!

Here's my current main girl The Doctor, they're all going into flowering starting today.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Update on my big girl and couple new roomates ^_^ [Re: Anton Rising]
    #771046 - 03/05/15 10:57 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Were you planning on getting some better lights any time soon? Your getting a lot of stretch in the 2 week later photos. If you top it, when it doubles in size its split between multiple branches, which can cut down on vertical growth. The main plant you can see much less vertical growth because the whole plant needs to grow and its not concentrated on the main stem. 

I still think you should try some white paper between the bulb and the base. The thinness of the paper will help keep it from getting too hot--test it, but it should not be too much of an issue. The plastic breaks because its baked over a period of time and it looses oils and dries out. Paper ignites at 451 F, which means it should be fine touching the bulb that you'd be able to unscrew by hand. Maybe replace it if it seems to get brittle, but its worth the test.

Basically you want to reflect the light as close to the source as possible, as to heed to the inverse square law. Plus I would try and get the lights as close to the plant level as possible, maybe make the shelf adjustable height to compensate for growing plants.

If your the kind of person who doesn't want to spend a bunch of cash upgrading, you'd be one of the perfect candidates for one of those cheap Generic LED's. I hate to say it cause I'm generally an advocate of avoiding those, but some people need to go that route. If you spent around $100 for one of those UFO (50-100w) style round fixtures with a three year warranty it would compliment your CFL tree very well. $33/yr if it breaks at exactly 3yr, roughly $2.75 a month for a lighting upgrade. So in a 2-3 month flower period consider throwing $5-7 per harvest over the next three years. Retail that's about the cost of half a gram of bud, which you'll get much more than that. I can guarantee it'll produce at least 10 more grams of bud on that main plant in the first harvest alone.

I wouldn't recommend cheap lights to very many people, but if that's all you have and don't want to get too involved it would help immensely. Sometimes all those cheap fixtures are missing are a few good CFL's on the side to help boost and fill in the spectrum.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineAnton Rising
Stranger

Re: Update on my big girl and couple new roomates ^_^ [Re: phychotron]
    #771059 - 03/06/15 12:19 AM (9 years, 25 days ago)

That's really alot of stretch? They've def gotten much thicker but I thought the height was normal for bag seeds they always grow like that for me, I could put em up a little higher I suppose. I vegged the doctor under those and it's pretty bushy but I lst it. I don't plan on using anything else but those cfl's, I've flowered successfully with them so I didn't think an upgrade was necessary at all.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #771062 - 03/06/15 12:33 AM (9 years, 25 days ago)

It really depends on the strain, but yea thats a lot of stretch. Notice how the side branches are nearly non-existent? Those should start to grow before the plant gets that tall. How far away from the tops of the plants do you have the lights? I would go 3-6" away from the bulbs, with a fan on the plants.

Not stretched:

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineAnton Rising
Stranger

#771063 - 03/06/15 12:41 AM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Ah I see what you mean by that, yeah I was thinking it was just the genetics but their clearly indica dominate and should be bushy by some extent. They're about a foot away from the lights at the moment. Although for the bag seed plants I wanted the single cola effect apposed to many cola's, I will look into the white board paper above the lights however.

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
    #771065 - 03/06/15 01:56 AM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Idk man...that big one looks pretty bushy to me...
I have a couple indica dom plants that are still somehow skinny pencil stem stretchers. That "martian kush" for instance. Super fast though

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Invisiblevinsue
GRAND OLD FART
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #771068 - 03/06/15 06:17 AM (9 years, 24 days ago)

The
Doctor looks nice, OP. :thumbup:

I'm in the same boat with the CFL thang.
I already had all the clip lights, adapters, power strips etc.
Plus my grow space is tiny,( as is my wallet:sad:)

I was running a 100w HPS in there 'till the bulb died last week.

Quote:

If your the kind of person who doesn't want to spend a bunch of cash upgrading...
... I wouldn't recommend cheap lights to very many people...

Ya think this is worth the $21 to supplement my CFL ghetto grow?
It's about the same price as a replacement HPS bulb...:shrug:
I have 14- 23W/2700K. going in a 1.5'x2.5'x3.5'  space.(week 7 of 12/12):sunny:

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Philips-90W-Equivalent-Bright-White-3000K-PAR38-Wet-Rated-Outdoor-and-Security-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb/205213864/?showPLP=false

:heart::growingweed: . . . :peace:

--------------------
" One toke over the line...

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Update on my big girl and couple new roomates ^_^ [Re: vinsue]
    #771076 - 03/06/15 08:11 AM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Its hard to say what those single home bulbs can do. That's a very hard call at that price. Although I'm trying to think if five of those would beat a UFO style fixture, its hard to compare without having used that style flood/spot before.

One would not do as well as a 150w HPS though.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#771134 - 03/06/15 07:33 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

I have about 180 watts of CFLs and I put them like 4 inches from my plants and try to direct all the light I can onto them with reflective mylar and mine always come out short and tight like psychotron posted. I'd actually probably prefer slightly stretchy plants like in the OP. I was under the impression I would need more light to grow them larger, but now I'm not sure. I just have a hard time moving my CFL back too far considering how fast the needle drops on my cheap light meter when i pull the CFL from a few inches to a foot away.

OfflineAnton Rising
Stranger

Re: Update on my big girl and couple new roomates ^_^ [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #771138 - 03/06/15 08:08 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

On a side note for some reason those mid plants smell MUCH stronger then The Doctor does, I can get away with growing it anywhere really cause it's a fresh scent but those mid plants smell like a milkyway dipped in butterscotch... ?_?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Update on my big girl and couple new roomates ^_^ [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #771144 - 03/06/15 11:17 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Sometimes a plant will shoot out like that, I've had a 4' tall plant that was in full sun just get long and lanky like that with little side branching. But considering its CFL that is pretty standard to get stretch like that.

By topping and bushing the plant out you can create thicker base branches, then later maybe force a stretch by moving the light too far if you want to get a bit more inter nodal space. That way they'd be connected to a relatively large stem able to pump nutrients better than just tall lanky branches alone.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: FurrowedBrow, Magash, Data, Dr. Siekadellyk, phychotron
1,965 topic views. 0 members, 174 guests and 117 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.