Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Loc: In Love, On Time Flag
New grow setup. Need HVAC tips!
    #769219 - 02/16/15 07:00 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Hi everyone,
This is my first post over here.  I've been on the shroomery for almost a year and have grown mushrooms for a while.  I like to grow pot too, so let's get down to business.  Right now I have a 4x4 tent with a t5 with plants vegging and we are going to flower in a 4x8 with two 1000 watt lights.  I am in a 1br apartment with no AC so my climate control situation is rough.  Our whole complex is heated by boilers so temp swings happen.  I damn near killed my clones right when I got them because I threw up the t5 and it spiked to 84 degrees in the veg tent for at least a dozen hours :facepalm: and holy shit I was mad at myself for making a mistake like that.  Thankfully all the plants look like they are going to make it.  I got cold air blowing in from outside now to the tent and its sitting at about 75 degrees.  Should lower tonight when the temp drops but I'm just going to lower the T5 and adjust accordingly until I have true climate control.  Also the whole operation is in my living room which is a bit annoying too, but you make do with what you got. 

Here's the post I put up a little bit ago on the shroomery detailing my problem. Any thoughts, tips, and input is welcome.  I won't get butthurt if you tell me it's a stupid plan so long as you explain why!  I love to learn.  Anyways

Quote:

Big Bear said:
Okay Yall I got a project I'm working on with my weed grow and I need some opinions from you guys if you think it'll work.  I have had to scale down to two lights since I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment.  The problem I'm having is with temperature control.  I am running my 2 lights off my only 240 circuit so pretty much I have to run my grow on a 120v circuit.  Also since my grow is in my living room a window unit is out, so I'm pretty much restricted to a plug in portable AC.  Luckily I can find them rated to 14000btu which I THINK should be enough to keep two 1000 watt lights and 1 T5 below 80 degrees.  I obviously am going to run my lights at night time. 

Here's an AC somewhere along the lines of what I want:
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Avallon-14-000-BTU-Dual-Hose-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-InvisiMist-Smart-Drain-Technology-APAC140C/205037354/

So my plan for getting the most out of my AC (gunna need every bit of energy the fucker has for my lights) is to put it in a  plywood box.  Out of that box run fans with ducting to my flower and veg tent. I plan to build an exhaust box too that will be carbon filtered and have exhaust from the AC and the tents running to it.  From that box I plan to have a master exhaust that runs outside. 

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words so here is my drawing of the way the air will flow. 

And here are the boxes in detail.  I was planning on drilling maybe a 6" or so hole in the AC box to prevent a vaccum.  I don't know if this is really necessary which is why I am running it by you guys.  Here's a pic of how the A/C box will flow.

And I was planning on doing the same thing sort of except with a carbon filter attached and a carbon filter inside the exhaust box....like so.

And run everything out a back window.  This is pretty much a closed loop system.  Was just curious if you guys think it will work.  Invention is the birth of necessity or whatever.  I just don't really see any other way to adequately cool this motherfucker.  I also have never done much hvac work besides repairing a couple of units and that was all electrical. 

Any pointers would be appreciated.  I would just try to cool the whole room if I had more electricity available, but with this apartment I already gotta run my lights off the stove circuit and my fans off another circuit (or two depending on how many) and my AC off another circuit.  I also live in the bedroom :lol: 

The boxes seem necessary to me to keep smell in check, to make sure I get the most out of what little air conditioner I have,  and it will kind of work like a silencer too (will find a way to insulate it somehow)

I know one of you smart motherfuckers can help point out flaws in my idea.

I'll post some pics of my plants soon too and try to remember to keep everyone updated.

--------------------
:gd_icon:Still Alive:gd_icon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New grow setup. Need HVAC tips! [Re: Big Bear]
    #769223 - 02/16/15 08:23 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Man I'm near Palm Springs and I don't use HVAC and I have a HVAC license. 84f in the veg room. Ok where's the problem? I've been growing since the 80s and my growroom has been out of the 80s for like 5 minutes in all that time.

Just air-cool the lights out the window with a filter and you're gonna be fine. Making way more of a problem then your solving.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Re: New grow setup. Need HVAC tips! [Re: Magash]
    #769225 - 02/16/15 08:50 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I am sorry I should have clarified, it got to 84 out in my living room.  My veg tent was definitely hotter but they definitely got heat damage.  So you think it's okay for flower room and veg room to be over 80 degrees? All the growers I know try to keep their environments between 70-80.

Here's a pic of the damage

I guess I shouldn't have said hvac, but idk man I really don't want my room to get too hot and burn up again.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #769227 - 02/16/15 08:59 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I am sorry I should have clarified, it got to 84 out in my living room.

OOOOOok....bit of a huge difference.

Yeah 70 to 80 is prime but having it in the 80s won't hurt. There would be no buds coming out of Mendocino and Humboldt if temps in the 80s hurt.

Yeah I see heat damage but I see more burning from overfeeding then anything. The heat didn't cause those leaves to curl in on themselves and look like claws.

Heat stress is like this. The leaves curl upward.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

#769228 - 02/16/15 09:01 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

They haven't been given any nutes Cuz they are fresh clones :confused:

This pic was a couple days after the damage occurred so maybe they looked more curled then.  We've pruned a lot of the dead stuff today.  When I get home I'll upload another pic of the current situation and see what you think

--------------------

Edited by Big Bear (02/16/15 09:05 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #769231 - 02/16/15 09:28 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

If all that was done by heat then you had it fucking cooking in there.

--------------------

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

#769233 - 02/16/15 09:41 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah we don't ever use nutes early on.  we also don't over water.  We soak them and wait till they are completely dry till we water again.  Idk man we had this spike in temperature at my apartment and the first night in the tent I had NO IDEA it would get this hot.  Shit it is just a t5.  Idk main thing is that I really freaked out Cuz if the t5 could get that hot who knows what the hps bulbs can do...so I started drawing up ways to get my apartment at a constant temperature.  We've been venting cold air in which is workin fine for veg now, and they are all lookin better.  Every plant including that fucked up tang in the front has new growth on it.  This is my first inside grow that I've owned, so I may be over thinking things.

Also it's obvious you've been growinf a while I just never really seen growers keep their rooms over 80.  That's good to know tho.  Maybe I just get the AC to run in the living room and take it from there?

--------------------

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

#769234 - 02/16/15 10:06 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Okay here's the view as of today...2 days post apocalyptic firestorm. 

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #769240 - 02/16/15 11:01 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

" and we are going to flower in a 4x8 with two 1000 watt lights."

Just wait till you plug those things in. My buddy had his whole 2 bedroom apartment heated in his current grow using a 1000w in a 4x4 tent. His tent is 4 feet away from the window and blows the hot air directly outside. Last time I went over there his house was back to normal temperatures, turns out he switched off the 1000w and put his 150w hps and some LED's back in there because it was just too much heat. He's in a third story apartment which tends to get warmer than the apartments below, but its eastern Washington in the winter time.  Maybe an aircooled hood would help, but that doesn't stop the bulb from shining heat (IR) everywhere. His tent was in the 80's but it doesn't feel right in there.

He's going LED to never have to deal with heat issues again.  Basically in the summer time around here people have a hard time getting a good crop. Another friend had his cold-bar A/C go out before summer so he couldn't flower anything all for a few months (waiting on parts). If he bought an LED it would have paid for itself in the one grow he lost.

One of the benefits of LED is that the plants prefer the higher temperatures, as they do not have to shed useless energy from the leaf surface.  The plants need a cooler air temperature for the HID as to drive the cooling of the plant from the excess, useless radiation it receives. So with HID you heat them up THEN have to cool them off. Get some good LED's and never worry about the tent even when it is 100 degrees that day. Ditch the HVAC and just use a 8" 750cfm fan on a temp/humidity controller.  With that said, the LED market will take your money and sell you garbage if you don't do some homework.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #769242 - 02/16/15 11:12 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Its not quite fan season at the stores yet, but when they start selling fans look into getting "tower" fans. They don't take up any extra space to oscillate, they just spin. One of the best thing you can do for the plants is to keep air constantly moving throughout their leaf zone. They use up the available CO2 around the leaf within a short period of time (a minute or two, cant remember the exact number) and the air becomes stale around the leaf. Its not just for keeping the plant cool, although it will help.

It will also prevent powder mildew and fly's hate the wind. That little fan you have in there now needs upgrading.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Re: New grow setup. Need HVAC tips! [Re: phychotron]
    #769245 - 02/16/15 11:39 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Oh that fan is just to keep it circling in the veg tent. I got a 6 inch hyperfan coming in the side vent hole blowing in cold air from a window. Honestly on the LED's im never going to be able to convince my partner on it.  I know hps lights are hot hence my whole desire to figure out the AC thing.  I definitely like the tower fan idea.  Also we were planning on having at least 1 intake fan for the flower tent and also venting the lights. 

I appreciate the feedback.  I definitely would look in to the LEDs more if it was just for me but we are hoping to be in a garage or unfinished basement by August and then we will just be adding more lights.

That said, your LED grow is without a doubt the best looking LED grow I've seen.  I will damn sure be showing it to my partner.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #769246 - 02/17/15 12:12 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks, I've been refining my garden over the years, slowly adding components and dialing in the formula. One of the best things that I've done was use the same plant to do it, cause I learned the plant time and again and have been able to tell the difference in the bud as time goes on. This last time brought out a new flavor.

I understand its hard to get into the investment of LED's, but it really nice not having to deal with everything HID. LED's have a bad image because of all the garbage that they sell on the internet. Stores don't stock real lights, just more of that cheap garbage.

This is the light I recommend, the one my friend will be buying soon. Advanced LED has a lifetime warranty now--they will send you parts to keep it running for as long as they are in business. Not for sale quite yet but should be $1600 for a 5x5 area. I want to get two in a 4x8 tent, or one plus another LED I have.

If your concerned about quality then watch this video where LED produces higher cannabinoids and terpenes compared to HID.

--------------------

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Re: New grow setup. Need HVAC tips! [Re: phychotron]
    #770008 - 02/23/15 09:47 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Well they seem to be recovering nicely.  We got the veg tent temp hovering at 77-79 and have done a little bit of pruning and staking.  We bought our flower tent today and a tall boy water filter and a reservoir and some other stuff.  Input always valued :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

#770139 - 02/25/15 09:56 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

couple 600rds in air cooled hoods is another option ,last summer I ran 2 in my 4x8 without a problem ,had a couple 400rds in a 4x8 for veg in the same room and I handled it with a small window ac unit np  ,I find all the 1000nds I have used created to much heat ,

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Re: New grow setup. Need HVAC tips! [Re: dmtcorey]
    #770152 - 02/25/15 12:14 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah we are getting thousands.  Planning on moving in about 5 months to a bigger spot and once we have a real room we are only gunna run 1000s.  I just freaked out because I had never used a tent and didn't have near enough air flow.  It turned it in to an oven the first night.  Since then the problem has been solved.  I still am going to do the exhaust box thing because it'll be nice only having 1 duct running down my hallway.  I will update with pics next week when things are lookin more organized and show what's goin on

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds