Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
LED Grow Lights Outperform HID in THC and Terpene Profile * 2
    #765654 - 01/15/15 01:16 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I found a really good side by side grow comparing a 1000w HID to a 600w LED. The guy even sent the bud to a lab for analysis.

I've always thought the LED grown bud was better tasting than HID, and other people have suggested it, but this guy finally provides evidence to support it. The LED grown bud is 3% higher in THC and considerably better in all but one of the terpenes tested.

I suspect its from passing too much unused energy over the plant surface that it needs to shed as heat, taking the terpenes with.

I haven't watched all the video's or sure which is the first, but the day 3 video is a good place to start.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by phychotron (01/15/15 01:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: LED Grow Lights Outperform HID in THC and Terpene Profile [Re: phychotron]
    #765669 - 01/15/15 07:04 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Very good stuff.  The limonene terpene difference I found perhaps most interesting and worthy of further investigation.  Does heat break down limonene?  Hmm... Does the sunlight in CA and TX and MEX make lemons not lemony?  Hmm...pretty hot there too...Maybe it's the spectrum difference in the bloom light for the probably? Hortilux Super HPS bulb that lacked something that the LED provided?  More likely IMO...

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: LED Grow Lights Outperform HID in THC and Terpene Profile [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #765673 - 01/15/15 08:04 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

HygroHybrid did the same side by side on youtube and also found the led to give more dense buds also.  looks very promising, now for the affordable prices :smirk:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Offlinewebster10

Re: LED Grow Lights Outperform HID in THC and Terpene Profile [Re: 13buds]
    #765678 - 01/15/15 08:40 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Affordable prices

:goodluckwiththat2:

Nice study though, very informative.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Grow Lights Outperform HID in THC and Terpene Profile [Re: webster10] * 1
    #765712 - 01/15/15 10:46 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Well the lights I'm looking to buy have a life time warranty now; 3 years parts+labor then they will send you parts for life. So after the initial investment its much more affordable in the long run. You'll never have to put money toward lighting again.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Grow Lights Outperform HID in THC and Terpene Profile [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #765713 - 01/15/15 10:51 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GoonerHeClips said:
Very good stuff.  The limonene terpene difference I found perhaps most interesting and worthy of further investigation.  Does heat break down limonene?  Hmm... Does the sunlight in CA and TX and MEX make lemons not lemony?  Hmm...pretty hot there too...Maybe it's the spectrum difference in the bloom light for the probably? Hortilux Super HPS bulb that lacked something that the LED provided?  More likely IMO...

I know that I can put my hand in the sun, and feel fine. I put my hand under an HPS for 5 minutes and I can feel the skin drying out. The problem is that there is too much IR that cannot be cooled, it HAS to hit the plant and be shed as heat.

--------------------

Offlinewebster10

#765715 - 01/15/15 11:01 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Well the lights I'm looking to buy have a life time warranty now; 3 years parts+labor then they will send you parts for life. So after the initial investment its much more affordable in the long run. You'll never have to put money toward lighting again.

Which company did you buy a light from that they're giving you a life time warranty?

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#765719 - 01/15/15 11:46 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Quote:

GoonerHeClips said:

I know that I can put my hand in the sun, and feel fine. I put my hand under an HPS for 5 minutes and I can feel the skin drying out. The problem is that there is too much IR that cannot be cooled, it HAS to hit the plant and be shed as heat.

It sounds like you are basically agreeing, but think of spectrum as heat.  This might be a fair comparison with the IR and saunas and their heat effects.  Perhaps the LED is more of a daylight spectrum arrangement than the Hortilux HPS as well?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Grow Lights Outperform HID in THC and Terpene Profile [Re: webster10] * 1
    #765721 - 01/15/15 11:59 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

http://advancedledlights.com/3w-led-grow-lights/xte-series-led-grow-light-usa-made-5w-leds/

Their new light has the best warranty because its easy for the user to fix, most likely never using the labor service covered in the first three years.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #765732 - 01/15/15 12:42 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GoonerHeClips said:

It sounds like you are basically agreeing, but think of spectrum as heat.  This might be a fair comparison with the IR and saunas and their heat effects.  Perhaps the LED is more of a daylight spectrum arrangement than the Hortilux HPS as well?

Infra red light is heat. Its kind of a strange concept, but its true. In fact all light hits a surface, reflects at a weaker intensity and leaves a little bit of energy in the form of heat.

Ya, pretty much the whole point of LED is that your trying to mimic the PAR curve as much as possible--Photosynthetic Active Radiation, the light the plant actually sees. Not necessarily what matches the sun, but what the plant actually responds to.

HPS's bulbs are not attuned to the PAR light and an inherent flaw HID lighting that they produce an excess of IR light that the plant must dissipate. I'm not sure how this compares to the sun's amount of IR, but I know I can feel a huge difference between the two. Most peak in the yellow and orange range which is not as efficient for plants as red is. HPS is more attuned to the human eye (Lumens, LUX) than it is for plants, thus rated in LUX. 

Here's the sun's radiation, at 6000K, displaying a peak in the yellow range.

Not all heat is created equal. The dissipated heat in a sauna will warm a room up, but its not going to have the same effects of bombarding an area with constant, focused radiation. LED's dissipate heat out of the top of the fixture, where HID project it as IR onto every surface it touches.

I guess the real test to see if its an additive property of light is to do an HID grow with supplemental LED. If the terpenes go up by adding the LED to the HID then its based on PAR spectrum, and if they stay low it would be the intensity of the light. Or so I would guess.

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#765736 - 01/15/15 12:55 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:

Yeah I dont think I'd trust that "lifetime" warranty.

Quote:

This Lifetime Limited Warranty does not apply to damage from any of the following: normal wear and tear, improper handling or installation, tampering or opening of components, failure to provide proper maintenance or any improper packaging or shipping of the light to Advanced LED.

Normal wear and tear? Like a diode burning out? And if you have to do the labor yourself how are you supposed to without opening it up?

The 3 years is nice, but for that kind of coin there's no way I could justify it. If I was loaded sure, but the prices for quality LED's will have to about cut in half before the average grower will be able to switch.

--------------------
:firecum:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Grow Lights Outperform HID in THC and Terpene Profile [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #765765 - 01/15/15 03:10 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

The diodes are modular, when a diode burns out you get a new module with a few different diodes in it. Its only a few minute repair and you don't have to open it or take it down (I believe). That part with just the diodes should be relatively cheap for them to supply you with, especially compared to the initial cost of the fixture. The diodes have a life span of 100,000 hours, or roughly 22.8 years of 12/12. So I guess your 'lifetime' would probably end around then. Even if they did 50,000 hours on the diodes its still over 11 years. And by then I'm guessing they'll have some even better lights out.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds