Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Cooked by too much heat?
    #731057 - 05/11/14 12:50 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Does the above ground part of a plant being too hot cause it to rapidly dry out like the plant in this picture? It's almost completely cracker dry after going from 70f under CFL to 90f under HPS for about 12 hours...

This looked was a healthy plant 24 hours ago, but is now all crunchy, and probably going to die.

I'm trying to figure out if I cooked the roots or what exactly caused this? I used a soda bottle wick system as an experiment, and it was still taking up water when I found it like this. Is it possible the planter was just too small for that heat? or would this have happened regardless? The other plants that were already in the room seem fine and happy.

Edited by Midgetpawn (05/11/14 02:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cooked by too much heat? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #731080 - 05/11/14 04:11 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

If it only got to 90f that wouldn't have happened. Way to many California summers with plants in pots in the yard way hotter then that and never lost one. There a chance it got overfed cause that is what it looks like?

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Cooked by too much heat? [Re: Magash]
    #731106 - 05/11/14 07:16 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It had the same water/food that it'd been taking up for maybe 5 days.

Was a soda bottle thing like this.

I'm wondering if maybe heat built up in the bottle and cooked the roots? I'd assume roots are usually a lot cooler than the rest of the plant. Idk but it certainly seems heat related. It looked like a plant does when you don't water it for a long ass time btw.

Edit: actually it might not even be heat related. It did have a wobbly stem, and the roots were growing into the water... maybe somehow it's water supply got cut off. Not sure but I wish I could figure it out so I know if it's safe to put more in 90 degree heat.

Edited by Midgetpawn (05/11/14 07:26 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #731140 - 05/12/14 12:18 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Did the stem get wobbly where the stem meets the soil? How damp is the soil? The stem may have rotted from the soil being moist all of the time.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#731148 - 05/12/14 04:59 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well I took the plant carefully out of the soil and figured out it was all wobbly/way too flexible at the soil line right where the normal above ground stems outside layer abruptly changed to root looking stem, like it went from green to white and there was a line you could grab and peel the green layer off. It was slightly crimped looking and a tiny bit dark where it was wobbly, so it may have rotted, but it was still intact, and now that it's dead its only slightly flexible.

The roots seems to be all disconnected about an inch from where the soil line was, so there was practically no root ball. Maybe they ripped extremely easy when I dug it out of the soil, but it didn't seem like it and I was fairly careful. I had actually noticed that the roots sticking out of the wick hole had changed from white to brown in the last few days, but I assumed that wasn't abnormal for roots hanging around a wick.

I checked my thermometers max temp and it didn't go above 91 for the temp sensor I have even closer to the light than the plant was. of course it could be wrong about the temperature. I guess I'll just have to risk killing another one and see what happens.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #731275 - 05/12/14 09:31 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

The soil was to moist and you got stem rot.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#731286 - 05/12/14 11:55 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks a lot. I knew it seemed odd for 90 degree heat to crisp up a plant like that.

btw what temperature would kill cannabis? I'd guess most can survive to at least 105 and maybe a little hotter.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #731290 - 05/13/14 01:50 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
Thanks a lot. I knew it seemed odd for 90 degree heat to crisp up a plant like that.

btw what temperature would kill cannabis? I'd guess most can survive to at least 105 and maybe a little hotter.

Your right about that. I've seen plants in 110f even hotter cause they were on the south facing side of mountains that weren't getting wind that day. I have a friend who grows plants in Palm Springs which gets to 120f several times a year. They are already seeing days in the 90s and it's only May.

As soon as you said
Quote:

It was slightly crimped looking and a tiny bit dark where it was wobbly,

It was easy to know the problem was stem rot.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck