Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSynthe
Ramen Warrior

This again (still a clueless wannabe)
    #690108 - 10/21/13 06:51 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I still would like to grow someday, but I'm still not sure what approach to take.

Are there any basic tips you could give for an outdoors grower?

Are there any strains that have distinctly low odor?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
Re: This again (still a clueless wannabe) [Re: Synthe]
    #690111 - 10/21/13 07:22 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Have a basic understanding on how cannabis grows.  Read some books over the subject of growing cannabis outdoors.  Start small.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #690160 - 10/22/13 02:44 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

You're gonna have to narrow down the questions a little. There are a million answers for all of them.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #690198 - 10/22/13 01:16 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Best advise is to start simple. When you read the book your going to get overloaded with a bunch of information, not every technique and trick needs to be implemented, many of those are to refine process or address a specific problems which you might not be having. There are a lot of things that are good ideas, but they're not essentials. 

Address problems as they arise, not as if they always exist. If something is wrong on the current grow, try and patch it up, but make a note of it and try and correct it on the next plants before it becomes an issue. Eventually you will know every problem that you typically run into and will have a nice process that keeps the buds happy. Its simple stuff like stake-ing up the plant before the buds get heavy and keel over, and then you have to jam it through your roots and hear them tearing and ripping away. Eventually you can start experimenting with what works best, but learn the plant basics with a basic setup.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineSynthe
Ramen Warrior

Re: This again (still a clueless wannabe) [Re: phychotron]
    #690202 - 10/22/13 01:31 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Okay guys, thanks for the replies.

First off, I may have misrepresented my cannabis knowledge by calling myself a clueless wannabe, I do know a handful about growing, particularly the basics.

While I understand the process of germinating seeds, planting them in good soil, and weeding out males, I'm hoping to learn if there are any basics for outdoors growing, any rules I should strictly adhere to that wouldn't apply to indoors growing.

I'm also wondering if there are any strains well known for not having too strong of an odor, as I don't want to get my nosy neighbors spidey-sense tingling.

Also, I was thinking about the pros of growing autoflower plants. I'm well aware that they're rather wasteful in terms of time spent growing to yield ratio, but surely I'd still be saving money growing myself and the shorter the grow time the safer a bet the grow would be. Any opinions on this?

Offlinefunnyfart
Strangler
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #690205 - 10/22/13 02:38 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

u should search for strains that are fitting in our climate and really think about where to put ur plants! when u put them into the  ground... these things can go pretty big!
In springtime u could start of with an easy outdoor strain with feminized seeds.. :shrug:

:growingweed:

OfflineSynthe
Ramen Warrior

Re: This again (still a clueless wannabe) [Re: funnyfart]
    #690209 - 10/22/13 03:24 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

funnyfart said:
u should search for strains that are fitting in our climate and really think about where to put ur plants! when u put them into the  ground... these things can go pretty big!
In springtime u could start of with an easy outdoor strain with feminized seeds.. :shrug:

:growingweed:

That's what I was thinking, feminized autoflower in the middle/end of April.

I wonder though, about what time do they really start to smell?

And how much does an actual plant smell at most? How far away would you be able to sense it's scent from?

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#690219 - 10/22/13 04:48 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Cannabis plants harvested for seedless buds smell pungent.  The only way to control the smell of flowering seedless marijuana is to grow them indoors and utilize the proper size carbon filter(s) to fit the room and connect the carbon filters to a proper air ventilation systsem.

OfflineSynthe
Ramen Warrior

Re: This again (still a clueless wannabe) [Re: hamloaf]
    #690223 - 10/22/13 05:23 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Cannabis plants harvested for seedless buds smell pungent.  The only way to control the smell of flowering seedless marijuana is to grow them indoors and utilize the proper size carbon filter(s) to fit the room and connect the carbon filters to a proper air ventilation systsem.

I don't want to monetarily commit to $100's in grow equipment that I'll only use once, so that's really just out of the question for the time being.

I've got my heart set on an outdoor grow, and I'd just want to know from about how far away (10 feet? 50 feet?) you can smell a small bunch of plants from, and about when they start to smell.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #690278 - 10/22/13 11:57 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Strain has a big part of that, some buds are stanky from the get go, some will seem like they dont smell at all, or just at the very end. Wind, temperature, humidity, all play a roll in how far and strong the odor will go.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineSynthe
Ramen Warrior

#690460 - 10/24/13 03:57 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Strain has a big part of that, some buds are stanky from the get go, some will seem like they dont smell at all, or just at the very end. Wind, temperature, humidity, all play a roll in how far and strong the odor will go.

Suppose it's northeastern US, close to the coast, low sea level, April-June growing period. What do you think then?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #690468 - 10/24/13 04:28 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Depends on the strain dude.  You could search for some of the low odor strains.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: This again (still a clueless wannabe) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #690518 - 10/24/13 11:29 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Its still gonna smell, I meant that the weather will make the smell fluctuate so that its not always the same intensity.

--------------------

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#690527 - 10/25/13 06:51 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

The colder the weather - the less activity there's going to be biologically = less of a smell.  The warmer the weather - the more activity there's going to be biologically = more of a smell.

OfflineSynthe
Ramen Warrior

Re: This again (still a clueless wannabe) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #690964 - 10/28/13 04:01 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Its still gonna smell, I meant that the weather will make the smell fluctuate so that its not always the same intensity.

Quote:

hamloaf said:
The colder the weather - the less activity there's going to be biologically = less of a smell.  The warmer the weather - the more activity there's going to be biologically = more of a smell.

Alright, could you shoot me a hypothetical, say it was rather warm (80-90) out. A few plants. What would a decent guestimate be?

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Depends on the strain dude.  You could search for some of the low odor strains.

Any idea where to look? I've been searching on my own but haven't turned up any luck.

OfflineSynthe
Ramen Warrior

#690965 - 10/28/13 04:16 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Also, it's always best to start outdoors plants inside, right?

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#690968 - 10/28/13 05:09 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

The warmer the weather the more of a scent the plants are going to have.  Also, as mentioned earlier the scent strength of the plants are going to depend on specific strain of the plants.

It's best to start outdoor plants outdoors.  If you want to grow giant trees start outdoor plants indoors.  Plants that have been started indoors that are scheduled to be moved outdoors will need to be put through a process called "hardening off".

OfflineSynthe
Ramen Warrior

Re: This again (still a clueless wannabe) [Re: hamloaf]
    #690970 - 10/28/13 05:40 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
The warmer the weather the more of a scent the plants are going to have.  Also, as mentioned earlier the scent strength of the plants are going to depend on specific strain of the plants.

It's best to start outdoor plants outdoors.  If you want to grow giant trees start outdoor plants indoors.  Plants that have been started indoors that are scheduled to be moved outdoors will need to be put through a process called "hardening off".

Okay, so if I'm going to grow plants outside, I should put them in immediately after they germ?

Also, would you say northern lights are known for lower odor?

And, what about planting autoflowers outside - will this be a bad idea or be okay?

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#690971 - 10/28/13 05:55 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

1.  Yes.
2.  I would NOT say northern lights are known to be low oder.  The heavier indica or aphganica dominate the plant is, the more pungent the smell is gonna be.
3.  Planting auto flowerers outdoors is as good as any idea.  Ruderalis dominant plants do fine in the northern hemisphere.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck