Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Activated carbon and booster fan ?s
    #688833 - 10/12/13 06:31 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I'm wondering if anyone has experience comparing RC-48 Australian activated carbon(coal) and coconut shell activated carbon, and can say one is much better than the other? The internets would suggest coconut shell is better at eliminating odor, but I'm wondering if theres really much difference. Think this fish tank activated carbon would work?5 lbs Activated Carbon in Media Bag for aquarium fish koi pond filterIt's cheap as hell I'm thinking it could be broken up.

Also I'm on a budget and looking at inline fans, and I can see people in forums saying that the booster fans won't work with carbon filters, but I don't entirely understand why not unless they just have extremely shitty motors and just break without a main fan. I was considering buying 2 6" 260cfm boosters and hooking them up to either a DIY carbon filter or converting the duct to fit a 4" low cfm carbon filter. Anyone ever do this or know for sure that 2 6"CFM wouldn't be enough air pull for a lower CFM carbon filter? I'm only going to have 15' of duct at the most and its in a 10x4' room.
Higher CFM 6" than most. The seller also has lower CFM 6" fans.
For DIY I'd probably buy some cheap activated carbon, a cheap HEPA carbon filter, some pantyhose and stuff it in the intake side of a tube. Although I might just buy a decent inline fan/carbon filter, but I'm still wondering if I could pull it off, and maybe save a couple $ and have 2 fans for future use with a better fan. Hoping for some reinforcement of using the 6" boosters, or a valid reason why not to use with carbon filter.

For some reason they sell boosters with carbon filters, but it almost seems like a scam. Maybe it does work thoughhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-14-CARBON-AIR-FILTER-PRO-COMBO-6-INCH-Duct-FAN-INLINE-EXHAUST-charcoal-six

BTW does anyone find it strange that this ebay posted air filter is made by "elite air" but at the end of the life expectancy description it says "phresh filters"? It's almost like they forgot to take that part out after stealing phresh filters description. Is phresh made by elite air? nothing but this link shows up on google. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-inch-CARBON-FILTER-FAN-COMBO-inline-odor-scrubber-/390264212318?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item5add8f4b5e

Well any answers would be appreciated and can potentially help other people too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Activated carbon and booster fan ?s [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #688846 - 10/12/13 10:19 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldnt use a booster fan since they're not very powerful they're not going to have the power to suck air like an exhaust fan. Sucking through the carbon will keep some strain on the motor, which will cause heat/load issues on the motor. Just because some dumbass sells them together on ebay doesn't mean it's a good idea.

It might work, but I wouldn't use any ducting with it as it will only make matters worse.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Activated carbon and booster fan ?s [Re: phychotron]
    #689038 - 10/13/13 10:50 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Yea I guess it could work but the fan motor will burn out. I was just thinking that maybe the 2 together would work better, especially 2 6" converted to a 4" flange carbon scrubber.

I'm just gonna get a "high powered" inline fan. I was considering buying the 4" x 16" carbon scrubber from the one guy, but I since have learned he just stole the description straight from Phresh filters site and replaced the name with his.

I found a 4" x 22" carbon filter that's pretty cheap and coconut, which supposedly is better carbon. 4" x 22" Apparently NASA uses coconut shell carbon, but as someone else pointed out, they probably just use it because it's lighter.

I had found a company that sells long carbon filters that you can reverse the flange to the bottom to double the life, but I can't find them again =/ but they exist

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder