Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleFazed
and dazed

Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art?
    #681305 - 08/12/13 06:21 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I'm seriously considering starting some kind of martial art like Karate, boxing or kickboxing as my surroundings get constantly more dangerous every year and it will be inevitable that one day I'll have to defend myself against someone weaponless. I feel like I could do with the confidence that comes with learning one of these arts not only to adequately defend myself but for everyday life to combat the mild anxiety I suffer with and make me feel overall better about myself.

I have done Karate in the past but I was very young, it was cool but I didn't stick it out (mainly due to my teachers unwillingness to allow me to progress through further belts & because I got the shit beat out of me by tougher guys too often haha) but now I feel I can take the pain and pursue a practice like this. But what?

Who here has done or continues to do anything like this? Any advice for moi?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: Fazed]
    #681310 - 08/12/13 08:26 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

There are plenty of good instructors of martial arts that will teach you technique before putting in to a potentially painful situation.  Personally, I would avoid anyone that says you need to learn through pain.  That shit is for the movies.  You want to train your body to do new things, then test it to give you the confidence it will work.

I did 10 years of Ku Ti Tai, Do Vee Fut, and Di Muk.  I don't have any idea what belt I would have.  The instructor I worked with was traditional and did not have a use for belts.  He knew his students well enough to work with us individually.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #681350 - 08/12/13 12:06 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I did martial arts ( karate ) for 6-7 years, I was offered to test for my black belt but I was over it ( ended one belt before black with was brown ).

That was also when i was 13, I could of been black belt by 14 haha.

But, I learned soo much from it and it definitely helped form who I am today.  It also kept me OUT of fights all through high school.

Offline8787sunshine
classic stoner
Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: PoloDown]
    #681358 - 08/12/13 02:29 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

It's hard to pick a style unless you live in a big city with a large Asian community.  Hard work is what makes a great fighter.  All the famous fighters were driven and achieved what they did through hard work.

--------------------
Bombing swords exit the murder charge left it exposed supposed words sex trip further on you took off your clothes

InvisibleFazed
and dazed

Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: 8787sunshine]
    #681375 - 08/12/13 04:21 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
There are plenty of good instructors of martial arts that will teach you technique before putting in to a potentially painful situation.  Personally, I would avoid anyone that says you need to learn through pain.  That shit is for the movies.  You want to train your body to do new things, then test it to give you the confidence it will work.

I did 10 years of Ku Ti Tai, Do Vee Fut, and Di Muk.  I don't have any idea what belt I would have.  The instructor I worked with was traditional and did not have a use for belts.  He knew his students well enough to work with us individually.

You're totally right about the whole pain thing, it's not necessary whilst training. I'm going to sound really ignorant but I haven't heard of the three you've mentioned there but I'll look them up. You obviously know what you're talking about. What would you suggest for a complete beginner who just wants to defend himself/build confidence? I'm edging towards karate again because I kinda know what to expect.

Quote:

PoloDown said:
I did martial arts ( karate ) for 6-7 years, I was offered to test for my black belt but I was over it ( ended one belt before black with was brown ).

That was also when i was 13, I could of been black belt by 14 haha.

But, I learned soo much from it and it definitely helped form who I am today.  It also kept me OUT of fights all through high school.

Do you regret not going for the black? I think that would play on my mind a bit if it was me, that I was sooo close to the final belt :grin: but I guess it's experience that matters most with something like this.

Quote:

8787sunshine said:
It's hard to pick a style unless you live in a big city with a large Asian community.  Hard work is what makes a great fighter.  All the famous fighters were driven and achieved what they did through hard work.

Don't live in a big city nor is the asian community that big haha. You're right that it is hard to pick a style. I think I may have to go to a few different classes and observe to see what's for me.

Thanks for the comments guys. all very helpful :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblenannybooboo
 User Gallery
    #681381 - 08/12/13 05:06 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Wheeewww, i have a mean horse stance, lol.

I took Tae Kwon Do at 10yrs old then around 13 or 14 i mainly studied Jeet Kune Do. Early 20's were a lot of kick boxing stuff and just shadow boxing. Next year i plan on attending Capoeira classes, so i gotta get my ass on the ball and cut down on smokin and drankin.

InvisibleFazed
and dazed

Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: nannybooboo]
    #681422 - 08/13/13 01:13 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah it takes a lot of "dishaprin" :lol: have you ever needed to put your skills to practical use? Say in a real life scenario?

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#681428 - 08/13/13 05:49 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

No pain no gain - but if you just remember that it's all a game, there ain't too much pain.

I do kickboxing. It's probably among the best overall for fighting along with Muaythai. Both arts characterize on stand up combat using all your limbs to deliver fast and powerful hits, and knock out or suppress your opponent but the combat styles from these two arts are really much more offensive in nature, in stark contrast to most combat sports (which are defensive) - both practical and well rounded styles of fighting I think because the skills are not so situational - you can use them to do what you want.

There are many specialized martia arts. Krav maga is defense specifically against weapons. If you know Jiu Jistsu and you pull someone to the ground, they have no chance. But not what I call well rounded like kick-boxing or muaythai.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: TomCollins]
    #681429 - 08/13/13 05:56 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

There's also no dancing or bowing or spiritual stuff associated with these sports, it's just straight punching people in the face and kicking them.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Invisibledrawde
    #681430 - 08/13/13 06:24 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DonkeyDong69 said:
No pain no gain - but if you just remember that it's all a game, there ain't too much pain.

I do kickboxing. It's probably among the best overall for fighting along with Muaythai. Both arts characterize on stand up combat using all your limbs to deliver fast and powerful hits, and knock out or suppress your opponent but the combat styles from these two arts are really much more offensive in nature, in stark contrast to most combat sports (which are defensive) - both practical and well rounded styles of fighting I think because the skills are not so situational - you can use them to do what you want.

There are many specialized martia arts. Krav maga is defense specifically against weapons. If you know Jiu Jistsu and you pull someone to the ground, they have no chance. But not what I call well rounded like kick-boxing or muaythai.

Krav is an all around self defense discipline developed by the Israelies. The focus is minimizing risk and maximizing opportunity to flee in a confrontation.
Might be good for the OP to start with.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: drawde]
    #681433 - 08/13/13 07:27 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Lol. Gask.

I know what Krav maga is. I've tried it. It's just defense with a lot of focus on how to disarm people. Highly situational martial art imo and not something advantageous in a straight fist fight.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineTomCollins

#681439 - 08/13/13 08:16 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

It's also harder to stick with things that are not very fun or competitive; so really, I think kick boxing would be the best thing to start with because it's exactly those two things - imo, combat sports make you want to become better and stronger for that reason and you simply do not have that same competitive atmosphere I feel with something like krav maga. I don't know if I would even call something krav maga a combat sport - it's more of combat technique than anything.

In the end it really depends on what you want. If you want to fight and be good and get better, then I say check out kick-boxing. If you're worried about someone pulling a knife or gun on you and you just when you're trying to get places, then probably krav maga would be all you really need.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Invisiblenannybooboo
 User Gallery
    #681458 - 08/13/13 12:40 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fazed said:
Yeah it takes a lot of "dishaprin" :lol: have you ever needed to put your skills to practical use? Say in a real life scenario?

Nah i've always been pretty good at avoiding any scenario where i have to use these. Except when i was 17 and got jumped, and a blow from behind incapacitated me to where i just got stomped out by 3 bitch ass gangbangers. That's why i got into kickboxing.

Quote:

DonkeyDong69 said:
In the end it really depends on what you want. If you want to fight and be good and get better, then I say check out kick-boxing. If you're worried about someone pulling a knife or gun on you and you just when you're trying to get places, then probably krav maga would be all you really need.

:thumbup:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #681500 - 08/13/13 09:14 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I did wrestling for a few years, used to bare knuckle box too (but that doesn't really count).

Personally I always figured grappling martial arts are the most useful, because the only situations I don't want to go to the ground in are one's I'm just going to run from. Then again I don't have much ground and pound because wrestling is all over at the pin. So there is no striking.

Get in shape, go to a gym. Find someone who does Jiu jitsu or something. Striking is overrated in my opinion, once you have experienced grappling long enough you don't even think about it anymore. Your body feels the situation and by the time you know it you're doing a front headlock before you even thought about it. Honestly just being in shape and being able to run/move is more important to me. If I ever found my self somewhere with a lot of violent crime I'd just move the fuck out, that shit isn't worth the hassle. All you are going to do is end up with a higher cost of living for whatever wages you get for being there.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

InvisibleFazed
and dazed

#681528 - 08/14/13 04:00 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DonkeyDong69 said:

Thanks for the input, I've considered kickboxing and Muay Thai and both sound appealing especially as I consider myself to have strong legs and a good kick. The whole pain thing I'd obviously have to tolerate from time to time but if I was getting hurt every single lesson logic tells me I wouldn't stick it out.

I've emailed a nearby center for matrial arts that does kickboxing, karate, mma and other stuff so hopefully they'll get back to me. I may give them a ring and discuss the situation.

Quote:

nannybooboo said:
Quote:

Fazed said:

Nah i've always been pretty good at avoiding any scenario where i have to use these. Except when i was 17 and got jumped, and a blow from behind incapacitated me to where i just got stomped out by 3 bitch ass gangbangers. That's why i got into kickboxing.

Oh shit sounds bad dude but that would spur me on to learn an art too without a doubt. I anticipate that I'll get set upon in the future sometime, it's inevitable, so that's why I wanna get something down beforehand so I'm ready!

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#681529 - 08/14/13 04:05 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fazed said:
I've emailed a nearby center for matrial arts that does kickboxing, karate, mma and other stuff so hopefully they'll get back to me. I may give them a ring and discuss the situation.

That's ideal. Gyms that teach multiple martial arts are what you want. You can start with a foundation like boxing or kick-boxing and then after some time begin to take up the more technical arts laterally as you progress further with your base. After all, what makes MMA fighters so extraordinary is that they train in many different arts - essentially preparing for many different scenarios they may encounter in any fight. This is how I've learned to train in combat sports.

Don't worry too much about getting hurt. You wear gloves, shin guards and mouth guards; when you spare, you're not trying to knock each other out. Good communication prevents a lot of pain in sparring. You'll have good days where you can take a lot of pain, and bad days where even a tap on the shoulder will piss you off.

Hell, pain and getting your ass whooped in sparring I think builds a lot of character along with the discipline you need develop to physically train for such a sport - because man I thought I was fit, but the cardio you need to keep up is enough to make you want to vomit.

So, yeah I think just stick with it and don't worry about the little bumps in the road, just focus on the grind. Because once you become good, it's awesome and you wont want to stop.

Edited by TomCollins (08/14/13 04:21 AM)

Offlinenicechrisman
Head
 User Gallery

#682092 - 08/19/13 10:21 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I've done Aikido for 10 years. I've been to Japan twice- once for training and once to test for my black belt. It's great stuff.

InvisibleP-O

Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #682095 - 08/19/13 10:25 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

wanna have a tap out match>?

:box:

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: P-O]
    #682123 - 08/20/13 06:43 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

wu tang styleeeeeeeeeeeee yo.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlinenicechrisman
Head
 User Gallery

Re: Who here has practiced (or practices) a martial art? [Re: P-O]
    #682130 - 08/20/13 08:53 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PositiveOutlook said:
wanna have a tap out match>?

:box:

:datass:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order