Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
T5 and LED Flower Cycle Green Crack and White Widow
    #655547 - 01/19/13 10:47 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Ok so iv got about 7 harvests under my belt now. By no means an expert but i know what to expect and can grow my plants to completion ending up with a satisfying tasty end result. I do grow unconventionally and  i figured it wouldn't hurt to get an inside perspective on what its like to grow using only high efficiency lighting. I have been involved with HID and complete LED grows and i agree CFL isn't the way to go if your entering the Cannabis Cup but its more than adequate to grow for personal use.

CFL? WTF!?

Yeah its not ideal, but in situations like mine where i started growing in my old building that was old enough to have had Wyatt Erp busting skulls in it isnt the best place for HID unless you like tripping the breaker all day. So i made do. what i have now is:

(2) 24" T5 4 bulb fixtures with 2700k GE bulbs
(1) 75W LED UFO light with mixed spectrum (standard with modern LED)
(1) 14w panel (worthless piece of shit dont buy them)
(1) CFL fixture with (6) CFL bulbs 2700k highest wattage HD had work

This plus fans are shoved into a 4X4X6 tent tipped on its side making it 6' long by 4' tall by 4' deep. Cool thing about these lights is they take up almost zero vertical space :smile: 

Of course there are drawbacks like low light penetration so virtually all your lower branches yield dick, but your top colas will do just fine. That being said iv come to realize that being good with Low Stress Training / Topping methods are pretty useful tek's to bring up yield and allow for optimum light exposure to all your bud sights.

Iv got some plants that are just finishing up week 4 of flower and starting to show obvious signs of budding. and i just noticed crystals starting to form on one of them. Here i will document the life of 2 of my plants starting today at day 28 in flower.

* this will be a bit of an experiment for myself. i recently moved upstate on short notice and moved all my shit into a temporary environment, and there is a bad light leak right now that im looking into. im sure that is going to cause a delay on harvest. i estimate chopping at day 70-72 wish me luck and enjoy!

veg side

flower side

green crack upskirt

looks like ill have 4 main colas on this one

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Edited by GreenHorns (02/04/13 09:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: T5 and LED Flower Cycle Green Crack and White Widow [Re: GreenHorns]
    #655640 - 01/19/13 08:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

heres the 2 green crack on the left and right they were worked in such a way to create 4 or 5 primary tops. they did veg in a hostile environment ( were left under care of my sister while i was visiting the folks during xmas, but no amount of foresight can account for someone else laziness)  :facepalm3: the kids endured everything bad in the book, light deprivation from power outage, oxy deprivation from not turning on fans, heat build up +95F!, lack of water, nut shock. it was a nightmare to come back to, but everyone recovered pretty well id say.

one main branch on right plant

baby white widow grown under the (6) bulb sight lighting mostly. needed to get plants out of veg side so i tossed this into a little 3 plant SOG under my side lighting, and they did ok considering how small they were. this is day 63 bloom with 7 days since final flush. it should be dry in 2 days and ill harvest then. im estimating 13-16g dry. 

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Offlineshagdawg420
spore hunter

#655673 - 01/20/13 07:58 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: T5 and LED Flower Cycle Green Crack and White Widow [Re: shagdawg420]
    #655957 - 01/22/13 02:06 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Im thinking im not doing this correctly since its not showing up in my "Journal", but fuck it ill just keep going like this since people are seeing it.

Today is day 31 so i figured i would take some time to do a flush. Took both plants and a couple others out and ran 5 gallons each through them. As much as i hate to say it with no surprise there was powdery mildew here and there :grrr:. So i gave everything in the tent a thorough spray and wash with neem, and sprayed an IPA solution and washed down the inside of the tent.

While they were drip drying outside i snapped a couple pics showing the growth. i should have been 10 shitloads more gentle moving them around while cleaning up the mildew since they are sooooo lanky. after they were dry and aired out i tied them up and placed them back in the tent.

i have a feeling the PM will be a constant battle for as long as im staying in this shithole house while looking for work in the new city. But it shouldn't be too big of an issue as long as i dont let it get to be more than a spot here and there before treatment. Once i get my Veg operation squared away i will have ample space in the tent for all the flowering plants. Im still guessing i will cut Feb. 26 to march 1 around 65-70 days.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#655958 - 01/22/13 02:10 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

sorry about using a iphone i dont have a digital camera. im not made of airports.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #655961 - 01/22/13 02:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Looking good man.
I love the look of sativa type strains.  For some reason, I just think they're prettier than the fat-ass indica leaves. :2cents:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: T5 and LED Flower Cycle Green Crack and White Widow [Re: 81renaissance]
    #655965 - 01/22/13 03:25 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

ha yeah they get wild if you let them. this green crack is a monster and grows about 30% bigger and quicker than my white widow. i love the shake from this guy. the crystals spread out so far so fast its ridiculous. just got 2 indica dom strains the other day and they do look so out of place in the long skinny leave jungle.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Edited by GreenHorns (01/22/13 03:27 PM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #655969 - 01/22/13 03:32 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

For a while there, I had so many sativa dom plants that when I switched to an indica I got worried about the growth profile like a noob!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: T5 and LED Flower Cycle Green Crack and White Widow [Re: 81renaissance]
    #655972 - 01/22/13 04:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

ha yeah im used to all my plants being pretty tall. ill need to accommodate for half my tent having lower lights. that's a for sure drawback to growing with t5 is terrible light penetration.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#656205 - 01/24/13 09:10 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

ok so i finally got the tent situation handled. no more PM, light leakage, poor air circulation, or overcrowding. i added a couple white widow and another green crack. i think ill start a white widow journal tomorrow. :goodnews:

also tomorrow i will pull everyone out and feed/give another going over with the neem oil spray. stay tuned

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#656332 - 01/25/13 08:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

alright so i did a mid cycle flush with just 5 gallons each a few days ago, and now today gave everyone a nice healthy serving of iguana juice. looks like the plants are totally done stretching since my twine is just as loose as it was the day after i applied it. pretty happy about this since even after moving the veg side out of the tent into its own area again im still basically maxed out. getting some more resin production and orange hairs starting to wiggle their way out. should get a nice sweet with vics menthol smell happening soon.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #656521 - 01/27/13 02:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Is that a Blackstar LED? I've got a few of the 240UV's@130w each. The plants are stretching a grip in comparison to my Advanced LED. Its important to spend the extra cash on a good LED if you want to go that route. Veg is usually OK to go cheap with, but flowering lights need to have that extra kick if you want great results.

The plants look pretty good though btw.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: T5 and LED Flower Cycle Green Crack and White Widow [Re: phychotron]
    #656528 - 01/27/13 03:24 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yeah blackstar im really liking it. i almost think the cheap panel is doing harm more than anything else. as soon as i get a grand together im buying materials to build several panels of my own. im sold on LED after seeing how well they do when you get the right amount on your plants. which i most certainly dont right now haha. you find better results from single high watt unit, or spread out low watt units?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Edited by GreenHorns (01/27/13 03:25 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #656553 - 01/27/13 08:04 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

spread out your wattage so that your coverage area is better. but you need a minimum amount of wattage per area of course. By build your own panels do you mean buy the chips and wire it up yourself, or do you mean custom ordering them from china? Its tricky business either way.

That square panel is a joke, those are like 14w, running indicator diodes, not lighting diodes.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#656560 - 01/27/13 08:39 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

im looking at parts on alibaba.com and plan on wiring it up. i just cant justify paying so much for something thats so inexpensive to manufacture. iv seen good results from 150watt per 3sf and i think that's what ill replicate unless i know there's results from going up to say 250w panels.

yeah that 14w was part of a sight unseen package deal i got. it is useless and tacos up the leaves. i just dont believe its usable light at all.

what kind of wattage have you seen success with for larger scale grows? i plan on having a normal grow area again once im situated and know ill be going full LED for flower.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #656594 - 01/28/13 01:45 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think its somewhere between 30 and 50 watts (actual) per square foot. But you would also have to have a dialed in spectrum.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #656596 - 01/28/13 01:56 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Oh and the good components will make it much more expensive to manufacturer. Its not really that expensive for a good well built fixture. They are not all the same on the inside mind you. The actual diodes they use and other factors play a huge role. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who doesn't want to spend countless hours reading up on which diodes/components and why. The blackstar is crappy because they use cheap diodes. It gets the job done, but its made cheap. Every diode is tested and sorted into quality "bin's". Its critical that you spend the money and get the upper bin diodes so that your not loosing out on 30-40% of the light that the diodes are capable of producing. The same brand/type/model could have 5 or 6 bin's, but they might not tell you about that sorting while they're selling you the brand name cheaper low light diodes.

It all comes down to minor flaws in the manufacturing that are unavoidable.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#656988 - 01/31/13 01:06 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Ok took the plants out and gave them a going over with 1/2 gallon of water each then followed that with some molasses water till they were totally saturated. Looking good now and starting to really have a smell to them. Kind of like Vics menthol almost chemical aroma that will finish with a wild sweetness once its fully cured. Resin production is also up substantially from the last update as im hoping the pictures are good enough to show. This strain makes some of the best shake iv seen. I dont even make edibles with it i just roll it all and have a pack of nice low potency joints that smoke like cigarellos.

Heres the two of them now in 3 gallon smart pots

Close up of left plant

Close up of right plant

Buds are really starting to plump up nicely and resin is spreading

Little bit more tieing up

More posts and twine NEEDED to keep these branches from snapping now

:ganja:

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#657913 - 02/07/13 02:49 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Heres some pics from 2/5/2012 and an update. Plants are just still plumping up. At this point theres really not much more to do other than keep them wet every few days. I did notice the need to tie stuff up a bit tighter to get better light exposure, but for the most part the growth part is over and its just going to get fat. I will be heading down south for the weekend and leave them for 3 days. For that time they will just get plain old water since i fed yesterday. Im thinking 3 more feedings with some additives before i do a final flush and cut off all nutes.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#658848 - 02/13/13 11:11 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

So i took some loupe pics yesterday and they actually worked after way more time than im proud to admit struggling with it. I will get the plants out today and give a feeding outside where i can get some nice pics of the progress. They are looking pretty puffy and droopy now.

Day 60 is on the 21th and seeing as though im out of real weed and haven't started work yet allowing me to afford good weed; i might just cut one down soon after the flush next week. I do plan on letting the best looking one go to 70-75 days for sure.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck