Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
California's marijuana boom is wreaking havoc on the environment
    #652752 - 12/25/12 07:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the dramatic rise in pot farms in Northern California is starting to take a toll on the surrounding environment. Agricultural practices like water-siphoning, pesticide spraying, and littering are having a noticeable effect on what is a very fragile ecosystem.

Marijuana farms are definitely on the rise. In one 37-square mile patch of forest, state scientists counted no less than 281 outdoor pot farms and 286 greenhouses containing an estimated 20,000 plants — most of which are being fed by water diverted from creeks or the Eel river. The scientists estimate that the farms are swallowing up to 18 million gallons from the watershed every year — and at a time when salmon most need it

.The LAT reports:

Because marijuana is unregulated in California and illegal under federal law, most growers still operate in the shadows, and scientists have little hard data on their collective effect. But they are getting ever more ugly snapshots.A study led by researchers at UC Davis found that a rare forest carnivore called a fisher was being poisoned in Humboldt County and near Yosemite in the Sierra Nevada.The team concluded in its July report that the weasel-like animals were probably eating rodenticides that marijuana growers use to keep animals from gnawing on their plants or were preying on smaller rodents that had consumed the deadly bait. Forty-six of 58 fisher carcasses the team analyzed had rat poison in their systems.Mark Higley, a wildlife biologist on the Hoopa Indian Reservation in eastern Humboldt who worked on the study, is incredulous over the poisons that growers are bringing in."Carbofuran," he said. "It seems like they're using that to kill bears and things like that that raid their camps. So they mix it up with tuna or sardine, and the bears eat that and die."The insecticide is lethal to humans in small doses, requires a special permit from the EPA and is banned in other countries.

Authorities are now regularly finding it at large-scale operations in some of California's most sensitive ecosystems.It is just one in a litany of pollutants seeping into the watershed from pot farms: fertilizers, soil amendments, miticides, rodenticides, fungicides, plant hormones, diesel fuel, human waste.Scientists suspect that nutrient runoff from excess potting soil and fertilizers, combined with lower-than-normal river flow because of diversions, has caused a rash of toxic blue-green algae blooms in North Coast rivers over the last decade.Read the entire article.Top image of Eel river sediment runoff via Earth Observatory/NASA. Other image: LAT.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: California's marijuana boom is wreaking havoc on the environment [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #653137 - 12/29/12 02:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

FUCK, this is sad. :frown:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: California's marijuana boom is wreaking havoc on the environment [Re: geokills]
    #654074 - 01/06/13 07:59 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It shit like this that destroys the hopes of makin marijuana legal one day. People who are unsure about legalizing marijuana read this and get a bad taste in there mouth. What needs to happin is change! Marijuana growers need to start cleaing up there acts. Do it fuckin right. Put good vibes in people not this shit!!!!!

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: California's marijuana boom is wreaking havoc on the environment [Re: GBurger717]
    #654078 - 01/06/13 09:24 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Most of the damage is done by the cartel growers....

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: California's marijuana boom is wreaking havoc on the environment [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #654283 - 01/08/13 07:52 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

hawk... I totally agree but there is a bad bunch in all of the growerys as there is in everything. Its the bad ones that fuck it up for the good ones...

Not trying to start a firestorm but I seen a show 1 time that showed "american growers" putting mexican shit in there camps to make it look like the cartels! I dont know if thats factual but like I said there is always a bunch of assholes in the mix. I hope thats not the case but I dont know!!!!

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1