Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

digital ballasts question
    #653511 - 01/02/13 07:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

hey I was wondering about something for  a while now, I see that some ballasts you can control the power out put from full power to 75% to 50% and 25% now if put it at 50% power would I have to use a bulb that is half the power need? or would the bulb im using at full power work just fine at 50%?

Also I was wondering I see that some have a option that boost the lumm out put by 15-20% now I assume that use's 20% more power right? if it does does that burn out the bulb faster?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: digital ballasts question [Re: Mrshroom]
    #653526 - 01/02/13 08:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

What do you mean by work just fine?  Will there be light?  Sure.  But why buy a bulb and not run it at full capacity?  just get a lower wattage bulb system instead.

I don't know from experience, but if you're overpowering the bulb, I would think that would be bad.  It's like overclocking your processor, it will run hotter and wear out faster.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: digital ballasts question [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #653528 - 01/02/13 09:17 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
What do you mean by work just fine?  Will there be light?  Sure.  But why buy a bulb and not run it at full capacity?  just get a lower wattage bulb system instead.

I don't know from experience, but if you're overpowering the bulb, I would think that would be bad.  It's like overclocking your processor, it will run hotter and wear out faster.

what I ment by that would the bulb be just fine is that if it was being run at a lower power would that stress the bulb and cause it to burn out faster

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Middle east coast
    #653549 - 01/03/13 07:25 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Well that sure was helpful :rolleyes:

MrShroom, your questions come up a lot.  Ballast manufacturers don't make it real clear.  You use the same bulb when dimming the ballast. I use a Quantum ballast, 600w dimmable to 75% or 50%.  75% of 600 is 450 and they don't make 450w bulbs.  Most people will never use the dimmer switch..but there are some situations where it could come in handy.

As far as the super-lumens, it is about what it sounds like.  More power to bulb, more lumens and, as you guessed, a much shorter bulb life.  Again, most people will never use the super lumen switch.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: digital ballasts question [Re: Angus]
    #653575 - 01/03/13 11:00 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Angus said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

MrShroom, your questions come up a lot.  Ballast manufacturers don't make it real clear.  You use the same bulb when dimming the ballast. I use a Quantum ballast, 600w dimmable to 75% or 50%.  75% of 600 is 450 and they don't make 450w bulbs.  Most people will never use the dimmer switch..but there are some situations where it could come in handy.

As far as the super-lumens, it is about what it sounds like.  More power to bulb, more lumens and, as you guessed, a much shorter bulb life.  Again, most people will never use the super lumen switch.

kool thanks, I kinda figured that was what the story , but with never using one of them just wanted to make sure , plus as you said the  manufacturers don't really get into much detail on the  websites that are selling them. 

I was looking at considering getting a Quantum. is it a good quality? I was also looking at a lumatek but ive read to many mix reviews on the quality.  and I was also was looking at a nextgen also, but it found better prices on the quantum.

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

#653576 - 01/03/13 11:15 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I like my quantum.  Lots of people swear by them, but I've heard others trying to dissuade people from buying them.  Honestly, if I were to get a new ballast, I'd go with a Solis Tek.  I think they'll be the next big ballast manufacturer.  They are bad ass but expensive as well.  If you're just starting out, I'd go with the quantum.  If you're thinking about an upgrade and money isn't as tight as it is here, check out the Solis Tek. 

I've heard good things about Phantoms and Nextgens also, but I'd go quantum over either of those.  Just my opinion though..

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #653586 - 01/03/13 01:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Angus said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Not helpful?  I told him exactly what he wanted to know, that you can run it at lower than full capacity, but why do such a thing?  You're paying money for a higher wattage system and then not running it at the capacity it's designed to run at

I was also trying to get him to elaborate more, which he did.

And actually, they make 430 watt, bulbs which is quite close enough to 450 watt.

And being a smart ass and making comments like "well that was sure helpful" isn't really something we do in the cult forums.  Be helpful in here, not condescending.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #653603 - 01/03/13 04:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It wasn't snarky at all, I was wanting more clarification.    The way in which he worded it made it seem like he was unsure if the bulb would work.

If you would quote my whole response, it gave him an answer.  And yes, that was to just use a lower watt system if you are not going to run your system at full power.  It's a waste of money investing into a thousand watt system and then running it at 500 watts. 

I think we need to start over here bud.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

#653605 - 01/03/13 05:06 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Okay bud I'll try to keep the smart-ass comments to myself and not be so condescending in the future.  I probably misread your post and shouldn't have responded like I did.  Greetings

edit: out of curiosity, are you a member of any other forums? or have you been? if that's none of my business feel free to tell me

--------------------
I used to grow pot.  I still do grow pot, but I used to grow it too.
*Seedsharer*
You got my cheez whiz, boy?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #653611 - 01/03/13 06:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Besides the shroomery nope, I've made some accounts on others to peruse them, but never got into the communities.

Welcome to the community though man.  It's small right now, but were hoping that turns around.  :cookiemonster:

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

#653614 - 01/03/13 06:37 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks. :smile:

Yeah it is about as slow now as last time I checked in.  I've been on grow forums since the OG days and love the shroomery so I really wanted to try and get active here. This was a bad way to start.  Feel free to delete all my posts and your responses that are cluttering up this thread. 

Edit: just checked the dates..kind of funny that you registered a few weeks before me and have almost 7,000 more posts.  You're obviously doing your part to try and make this site a better place.

--------------------
*Seedsharer*

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #653615 - 01/03/13 06:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Meh, not worried about editing any of this.  I was a part of OG.  That was a damned shame.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
    #653714 - 01/04/13 07:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

dam its starting to sound like the shroomery in here.....

just kidding!!! This site is one of the best I have been on in the WWW and the advise that is givein here is PRICELESS!!!

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: digital ballasts question [Re: GBurger717]
    #653715 - 01/04/13 07:07 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Except we worked things out and started over.  Which doesn't happen over there :gethigh:

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblebabz89
Pupil
Female

Loc: PNW Flag
    #653844 - 01/05/13 12:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:whathesaid: been with shroomery for a long time and no one lets go of anything lol. Had a quick q. On lights what ballast gives the best bang for your buck? I'm on a limited budget and plan on growing outdoors first anyway, but indoor has really been calling my name. Working with a smallish space 6-8 maximum and I have to staggar my grow cycle to remain "above board"

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: digital ballasts question [Re: babz89]
    #653859 - 01/05/13 03:36 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Sunsystem ballasts are my favorite.  A 1000 watt hps is about 185.  And they last a long time.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Re: digital ballasts question [Re: babz89]
    #653862 - 01/05/13 03:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Its about like anything else babz, you get more or less what you pay for.  Magnetic ballasts--especially re purposed from an industrial setting--can be had for cheap.  Bulbs are the same, you can pay $15 or $150.  For the most part, whenever you skimp you will be losing product life, performance, reliability, efficiency and safety (though I've often seen magnetic ballasts 30 years old still in use). This is only true to a point and there are certainly high dollar/low quality ballasts on the market. Go with a brand name that you can research.

I got my latest quantum for ~$130 with a 3 year warranty on ebay.  If you get a package deal with reflector and bulb you may get a better value deal but most of those bulbs tend to be pretty low quality.  I think that's a pretty good value for what you get.  Like anything else, any research you do beforehand will pay off. 

Here's some reading material to start with :smile:

--------------------
*Seedsharer*

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#655845 - 01/21/13 07:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

well after a lot of online searching I for best prices I just got my hands on two 400 w Solis Tek for $220. did a little bit of research and like what I read about them and the guy at the grow store said that they were top quaily. SO now im just looking for two 1000 watt deals and in the process of making offers for the reflective hoods on ebay..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies