Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGarrett91
Stranger

This light okay?
    #633864 - 08/05/12 12:55 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Would this light be okay for seedlings during the nursery stage?

Says Daylight on the tube but does not say Kelvin rating or anything like that?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: This light okay? [Re: Garrett91]
    #633868 - 08/05/12 05:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

how many watts?

first time i hear of a nursery stage..lol

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineGarrett91
Stranger

Re: This light okay? [Re: Maestro]
    #634092 - 08/06/12 11:53 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

13watt. I know that's low but the strawberries growing next to it seem to love it thus far!

OfflineMaestro
Strange
    #634116 - 08/07/12 12:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

it might work for a week or 2, but you wont see vigourous growth. try to get at least 30watts per sq foot of space (50-100 is better).

also, keep that floro 1/2 an inch away from the tops. a reflector would help too.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineGarrett91
Stranger

#634154 - 08/07/12 07:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah i'm getting some proper grow lights this weekend i was just wondering if this would work if for some reason i couldn't get the proper light. I have a mirror next to these plants in the pic at the moment im just trying to find things around the house before i go buy all my gear for setup. Thanks for the help!

OfflineMaestro
Strange
    #634183 - 08/08/12 06:32 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Mirrors absorb more light then they reflect. yeah i know, i was like "wtf??" when i found out too. get a white foam board from Staples/ HD/ Wallmart (the ones used for presentations) for ~5$. its basically 3sq ft of bright white board, you can make a reflector and replace that mirror with that.

or use cardboard+foil. Stretch the foil out well though, if theres creases you can create hot spots.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineGarrett91
Stranger

#634207 - 08/08/12 03:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ha absorb light thats crazy! I'll take you word for it

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #634222 - 08/08/12 06:09 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Maestro said:
Mirrors absorb more light then they reflect. yeah i know, i was like "wtf??" when i found out too. get a white foam board from Staples/ HD/ Wallmart (the ones used for presentations) for ~5$. its basically 3sq ft of bright white board, you can make a reflector and replace that mirror with that.

or use cardboard+foil. Stretch the foil out well though, if theres creases you can create hot spots.

I've never used foil as a reflector before, but I've heard that foil needs to be non-shinny side to the plant and with creases to prevent hot spots. The same reason the inside of grow tents are textured. Ideally the reflector will have 1000's of different facing microscopic planes to direct the light in every direction. Matte paint does this, whereas gloss creates more of a single smooth surface.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Re: This light okay? [Re: phychotron]
    #634400 - 08/10/12 09:16 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Quote:

Maestro said:

I've never used foil as a reflector before, but I've heard that foil needs to be non-shinny side to the plant and with creases to prevent hot spots. The same reason the inside of grow tents are textured. Ideally the reflector will have 1000's of different facing microscopic planes to direct the light in every direction. Matte paint does this, whereas gloss creates more of a single smooth surface.

Right, forgot to say, use the non-shiny side.

Grow tents aren't made with foil, and are textured with persicion (it's just not "doable" to bend foil like that and keep it in place). Random creases might cause hot-spots, not uniform creases or uniform streight surface. Im using foil (streight) taped to cardboard right now (well i used it to set up a grow for my friend in Ukraine). Works great, no hot spots.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #634411 - 08/10/12 11:44 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

well ya, the tent is not made with foil, i actually edited that and now that i re read it that statement about the grow tent should have came at the end.

I could see the foil not crinkling properly to get the reflective properties. foil is only about 50% reflective to begin with, I would think white paper would work better than that. Photographers use a white fill board, not a foil one. White reflects all color light, whereas a colored one absorbs the color that you see. Even if using cardboard you can get a cheap can of white paint that should do better than foil any day.

panda film is only ~$1/foot for a 10 foot wide section. Just ask your hydro store if they sell it by the foot, a lot do.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Re: This light okay? [Re: phychotron]
    #634502 - 08/11/12 09:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Im in Ukraine, there's no hydro stores around here, sadly :frown:

But i was at a party supply store today, and discovered Mylar tablecloths!! I know, right?...:rolleyes:

P.S. Another downside of foil is that it reflects heat really well. But when using cfl's or floros heat shouldn't be a problem. (got 650+ watts of cfls surrounded with foil taped to cardboard here)

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineGarrett91
Stranger

#634554 - 08/11/12 07:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like you have a pretty decent set up to what is available to you!
Use old CD's for reflectors. They don't reflects heat as much as foil. But they dont have micro creases and things like that, that reflect the light it heaps of different directions

Offlineorison319
got squirrel

#634624 - 08/12/12 11:21 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I use thermal blankets for reflectors. they are like 5dollars for a few packs them. glue to wall easy with anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Quake-Kare-Emergency-Thermal-Blankets/dp/B0007N0XDO

--------------------

OfflineNSFWMainer
Maine-iac
Male

Re: This light okay? [Re: orison319]
    #634784 - 08/14/12 11:55 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That light will do well for starting seeds but beyond that.. i start my clones under a 100watt cfl for about a week to two. You can buy a 6pack of them for like 20 bucks and can get a housing with reflective hood at home depot for another few bucks

Offlinethe man

Re: This light okay? [Re: NSFWMainer]
    #635708 - 08/28/12 05:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i think u mean 100 watt equivelent. u can get 35-40 watt CFLs though which are good.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds