Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link
    #413502 - 05/07/10 04:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

South Dakota will vote later this year on legalization of marijuana for “medical” use. Advocacy for the legalization of marijuana, for “medical” use and otherwise, continues unabated despite growing evidence of the harm of this substance.

As to that growing body of evidence pointing to problems related to drug use, the American Journal of Psychiatry cites patient “Mr. Z” who was hospitalized for various problems at age 24, two years after completing military service. Investigation revealed semi-daily smoking of marijuana for the last 18 months. He was put on quetiapine (an anti-psychotic) and after improvement of his symptoms, was discharged from the hospital.

Four months later, he presented to a marijuana clinic complaining of chronic pain, insomnia, and anxiety and was given a diagnosis of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and pain, along with a medical recommendation for cannabis. No psychotic symptoms were elicited. He later explained that he switched from “street” marijuana to medical marijuana in order to obtain a more potent product as well as to avoid illegal activity and getting “ripped off” by drug dealers. He also increased the frequency of his daily use from approximately once to twice daily.

Six months later, Mr. Z was rehospitalized with new-onset auditory hallucinations (multiple voices speaking to each other and urging violence) and delusions (believing that people were tampering with his windows and eavesdropping on his conversations and that he was Jesus Christ). Aripiprazole (15 mg/day) was prescribed, with gradual symptomatic improvement, and then tapered to a lower dose (7.5 mg/day) due to tremor. The patient reported that he believed smoking cannabis helped his chronic pain but that it worsened his psychotic symptoms, such that he wanted help to stop smoking the drug. After 4 weeks, he was discharged to residential substance abuse treatment with only mild, residual psychotic symptoms and a discharge diagnosis of psychotic disorder not otherwise specified, PTSD, and cannabis dependence. At a 3-month follow-up evaluation, while still taking aripiprazole, Mr. Z remained off cannabis and free of psychotic symptoms.

The Ottowa Citizen reports on psychiatrist Dr. Robert Milin and a lecture at the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Center, entitled “Cannabis and Psychosis: the Untold Story.”  Dr. Milin says “Reefer Madness” isn’t just a myth.  While cautious about jumping to conclusions, there is pretty sound evidence to support the connection between marijuana use and mental problems.  An Australian study examined 3,800 youth, and some research goes back to the 1850s.

The Citizen report examines “Matt” who began smoking pot at age 15 and is now 22. By the time he started college, his friends were noticing changes in his thinking and behavior.  At the end of his first year of college, even he recognized something was wrong and he sought professional help.

He was sent to an Ottawa Hospital clinic that determined he was suffering from drug-induced psychosis. Medication was prescribed and it soon began to help.

Now off marijuana for more than three years, he believes the drug is linked to his mental crisis.

“If there were environmental stresses that brought me to the edge of that cliff, then weed pushed me over.”

He also thinks marijuana is a “far greater hazard” than many people perceive.

I have encountered a pretty fair number of marijuana users personally and when I worked in law enforcement.  With few exceptions, most long-term users displayed serious, unmistakable and often debilitating mental instability.  As shown in these examples, some people can recover, but I have encountered some that I seriously doubt will ever make it back to a full grasp on reality.

Some people advocate smoking marijuana, allegedly for pain, despite the fact that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) can be obtained legally in other drug forms. They also advocate smoking marijuana even though it has been found to be more dangerous than cigarettes, and has been linked to schizophrenia and other mental disorders.
California has experimented with legalizing pot for “medicinal use” for several years now, only to find legalization isn’t the wonderful problem-free thing it was sold as. School kids have found it pretty easy to get marijuana “excuse cards” and have been smoking pot openly in school. We already have enough intoxicated children in South Dakota; I’m sure we don’t need more.

The problems that come with legalization of marijuana are such that liberal British newspaper The Independent has apologized for its former legalization advocacy.

I would rather not have to apologize to my children or other people I know who may someday end up suffering because I facilitated their access to this dangerous substance.

taken from here.

Not sure i wanna believe this article? Seems to be a anti-cannabis look at it.
But along with the "good news" comes the "bad" and incorrect.:shrug:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #609765 - 02/18/12 09:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

anyone have any input on this?

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link [Re: iStoner]
    #619191 - 04/19/12 05:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I say their heads were screwed up to begin with and smoking MMJ just "activated" whatever issue they have, I dont think it "caused" the mental problems but rather brought them to fruition. :sarcasticclap:

in other words it would have happened anyway to these people at some point in time in their lives. :rolleyes:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link [Re: 13buds]
    #619237 - 04/19/12 01:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

13buds said:
I say their heads were screwed up to begin with and smoking MMJ just "activated" whatever issue they have, I dont think it "caused" the mental problems but rather brought them to fruition. :sarcasticclap:

in other words it would have happened anyway to these people at some point in time in their lives. :rolleyes:

The patient is obviously a paranoid schizophrenic.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Re: More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #619252 - 04/19/12 03:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:bigyesnod:

--------------------
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

OfflineDarwin23
Darwin
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #625668 - 06/02/12 02:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I believe that marijuana can exacerbate someone's mental illness but it cannot cause it.

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Re: More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link [Re: Darwin23]
    #631942 - 07/17/12 02:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Darwin23 said:
I believe that marijuana can exacerbate someone's mental illness but it cannot cause it.

:bigyesnod:

they are tryin to say that the guy who ate the bums face off in Fla was due to MJ psychosis. :nono:

that dude was fucked from jump, Ive smoked good bud for 25+ yrs and Nothing of the sort has ever gone through my mind. :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link [Re: Darwin23]
    #631983 - 07/18/12 03:03 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Haven't had a toke in 6 days and I gotta say...it's real. I act like an ass to my best buds, then think about how much of a dick I am for hours. Basically, I became bipolar. Not that this cancels out this:
Quote:

Darwin23 said:

This is after 4 years of smoking every day, no exceptions

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

Edited by Maestro (07/18/12 03:04 AM)

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Re: More Evidence of Marijuana Psychosis Link [Re: Maestro]
    #632007 - 07/18/12 01:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

those are withdraw symptoms not mj induced psychosis. :nono:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds