Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Microsoft Silverlight
    #629514 - 06/26/12 10:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I just got a promp to update Microsoft Silverlight.  Got my curiosity up and running.  What is MS Silverlight?  What does it do?  Why do I need it?  Is it some bullshit program I could just delete from my HD to free up space, or do I legitimately need it for day to day use? Etc., Etc., Etc. 

After searching and trying to find answers for all of my questions, the most common answers I found from MS were as generic as could possibly be.  "Silverlight is a powerful development platform for creating engaging, interactive user experiences for Web, Desktop and mobile applications when online or offline."  Basic dumb shit like that for the most part. 

After searching some MS forums and other forums, I found that other uses were having problems getting good answers about this and other questions they had about other MS programs or just other issues in general, so that's when I decided to say fuck it and stop getting generic answers to all my questions and to come here and ask about it, seeing as how I know we've got more than a few users on this site who are pretty competent when it comes to computers and computer software.  95% of the time, I can usually find an answer to any question I have searching around online in usually no more than 15 minutes or so.  That's why this is kind of bugging me.  Why the fuck is it so hard to find a good answer when it comes to this program?  It's more of an OCD thing now.  Got to find a fucking answer to this question.  Oh, and 20 bucks says Koopa comes and calls me a lazy dumbass or something like that.

SO, with all that being said, wtf is MS Silverlight?  Anyone?

And btw, I think it would be a really good idea to have a computer forum on this site for people, like myself and others, who have lots of questions about just computer shit in general and aren't computer geniuses like, for example, KK.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Microsoft Silverlight [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #629552 - 06/27/12 08:16 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It may have different applications, but I know it is used with streaming video.  Netflix was using it a couple years ago.  They might still be.

From Microsoft:
Silverlight is a powerful development tool for creating engaging, interactive user experiences for Web and mobile applications. Silverlight is a free plug-in, powered by the .NET framework and compatible with multiple browsers, devices and operating systems, bringing a new level of interactivity wherever the Web works.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Microsoft Silverlight [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #629557 - 06/27/12 09:06 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

thats pretty much what he found and it doesnt explain much

i went back to windows like a week ago, and i hate it. but one day my mouse driver stopped working in linux and i got so fucking ill i switched back. im kind of regretting it now but whatevs.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #629829 - 06/29/12 08:16 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Its a scripting language or something, like Flash.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

Re: Microsoft Silverlight [Re: still beLIEve]
    #629894 - 06/29/12 08:16 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
It may have different applications, but I know it is used with streaming video.  Netflix was using it a couple years ago.  They might still be.

From Microsoft:
Silverlight is a powerful development tool for creating engaging, interactive user experiences for Web and mobile applications. Silverlight is a free plug-in, powered by the .NET framework and compatible with multiple browsers, devices and operating systems, bringing a new level of interactivity wherever the Web works.

Yeah, I basically found that little bit of info dude.  That's like the first sentence you read on the Microsoft website about Silverlight.  I know how to Google stuff :lol:  Trying to find a little more in depth information ya know?

Quote:

still beLIEve said:
thats pretty much what he found and it doesnt explain much

i went back to windows like a week ago, and i hate it. but one day my mouse driver stopped working in linux and i got so fucking ill i switched back. im kind of regretting it now but whatevs.

Why do you hate Windows so much?  I mean, some little nuances of it kinda get on my nerves at times too to be honest, but it's not really THAT bad is it?  I've never used Linux though, and have VERY little experience using MAC, but I like Windows better than MAC, but then again, I haven't used it too much, so if I used it more I might like it better than Windows, who knows.  Is Linux really like, THAT MUCH BETTER than Windows though, for real?  Maybe I should check it out.

Found a LITTLE bit more info about Silverlight.  Not too much more at all really though.  Oh well.  Guess I'll just roll with the info of it basically just having something to do with video playback and some editing and shit like that.  The only reason I'm so curious is that I haven't seen it used ONCE on my computer for anything involving video or anything at all really.  Oh well, fuck it :bonghit:

--------------------

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #629895 - 06/29/12 08:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

its just smoother in my opinion. there are some things that come up now and then that are weird. but more the most part its way more seemless and easier to use then windows imo. windows seems real dumbed down to me. i hate all the pop ups and notifications and such,. i mean its not a huge difference i guess, you can get whatever you want done, done regardless. i just prefer to do it on linux.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

Re: Microsoft Silverlight [Re: still beLIEve]
    #629899 - 06/29/12 08:57 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I gotcha, more of a personal preference than anything then.  The notifications kind of get on my nerves at times too actually.  Kind of good for me at times too though, cuz I'll forget to update important shit if I don't get reminded sometimes :lol:  But all the little dumb shit does get on my nerves sometimes too.  Ah well, just more accustomed to it than anything I guess.  Might check out Linux sometime though just to see how I like it.

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#629901 - 06/29/12 09:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:

From Microsoft:

Yeah, I basically found that little bit of info dude.  That's like the first sentence you read on the Microsoft website about Silverlight.  I know how to Google stuff :lol:  Trying to find a little more in depth information ya know?

What kind of in-depth information? As for if you're going to actually need it, it depends on the sites that are coded in Silverlight, like Flash. I'm pretty sure netflix still needs Silverlight to run, and I remember Emplix using it too.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

Re: Microsoft Silverlight [Re: King Koopa]
    #629920 - 06/30/12 12:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

My buddy Koopa :hugz:

Don't really know exactly what kind of in depth information to be honest.  Doesn't really have to be like super in depth or anything like that, just some good information besides the first sentence on the Microsoft/Silverlight page really.  And if I REALLY need it, like you were saying.  All I was really able to find on any page really was what the first sentence on the MS/Silverlight is.  Looked for like 15 mins or so, then made a post on here thinking maybe some people up here had some knowledge about what Silverlight was about seeing as how some of the people on the Growery were pretty good with computers.  Not really a computer genius like yourself there Mr. Koopa, just lookin for some decent info on what it's for and if I really, really need it n all that jazz, since basically I haven't really even noticed it being used once on my comp at all since I got it until it was time to update it.  I'm kind of OCD like that, wanting to know what the program is for and all.

To be honest, what I know so far is that it's basically used for like playback of video and media and some editing of video I guess and since I pretty much haven't even been using it all as far as I can tell, unless it's running in the background or something like that.  However, I don't see it running in my active programs list.  I'll just roll with that knowledge for now I guess, fuck it.  Doesn't seem to be that important of a program to me for what I do on here :shrug:

If you want to go get some good info besides what you've just told me, then tell me what you've found, call me some names, and make me laugh in doing so, feel free :popcorn:

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #629927 - 06/30/12 09:02 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I read something like .3% of websites use Silverlight, so its not really utilized right now.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals